Revell Old E-3 AWACS---what to do?

I bought this for a few small parts but there is enough to build it. What will it build? I have the original

1963 Revell American Airlines Astrojet and these wings are the same. The big difference I see is the

windows are deleted off the fuselage. Will it build any USAF 707 type plane? Air Force Two ? It is just

sitting here without a purpose, I must make it a "useful thing". Any ideas without doing major surgery?

Thanks. jon

The old Revell 707 airliner represented a 707-123 (IIRC), and I suppose you could make it into one of the three up-engined VC-137B if you could find the right decals for it. The AWACS kit was a revamp of that old 707, and it's NOT the right for the E-3 which was based on the 707-300-series of "intercontinental" birds with the longer fuselage and much different wing. Revell also used the base 707 kit to make its KC-135 kit, so it isn't right for that ship, either. The scale is around 1/144, so if it is indeed 1/139, it would be LARGER than 1/144. 

Thanks Paul, you hit the nail right on the head. Original Air Force One in '59 was

707-153 AKA 707-120. I have a picture of it with 707-120 wings!!! All I need is to locate

AF1 decals, 1/139 or not I can make them work, engines no problem. Thanks again.  jon

The 552nd AWACS wing at Tinker AFB flew a couple of  707-331Cs designated as TC-18Es  from 1984 until around 1998.  They both originally carried civilian N131EA (construction number 18713) and N132EA (construction number 19566).  They were eventually given the USAF serials of 84-1398 and 84-1399 respectively.  They carried standard markings of the E-3.  The control surfaces were white. They were scrapped at Will Rogers Airport in the early 2000s.  They also operated at least one other TC-18E 81-0893.  Not sure when this one was taken out of service.  The 84-1398 retained its passenger windows.  84-1399 retained some of the passenger windows.

USAF Boeing TC-18E 81-0893

Yes, definitely the intercontinental wing.

In 1/72 scale, a merger of the Ertl/AMT KC-135 wing, a shortened Heller 707 (or AWACS) fuselage, and aftermarket resin engines can (expensively) create "Queenie," the first Presidential jet transport, the VC-137A.

https://s1108.photobucket.com/user/PaulBoyer/media/Models/VC-137Aweb2_zpsexjyggno.jpg.html

Paul Boyer is right, you can't do much with the old Revell kit in a military scheme aside from the first three '137s.

Two of the VC-137A/B survive, one at the Museum of Flight Seattle, one at Pima.

Edited by JohnEB

Jon,

It all depends on how picky you are.  You should be able to make the original three VC-137As (with the old JT3C engines) and their subsequent conversion to VC-137Bs (with the JT3D engines), but you will have to source / scratch the turbo-compressor hood on engine #4.  As to decals, hmm....  depending upon which timeframe, maybe just from the spares box.  However, the Revell kit does make for a nice 720B by shortening the fuselage and adding the wing glove.  Check out airlinercafe.net for a whole 707 rundown.

BTW, Welsh Models (UK) makes the best 1/144 707-320B/C series.  Yes, I know it's a vacuform, but the shapes, dimensions and detail is excellent.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Thanks Dutch. From what I see the kit I have, Revell E3A 4422, is a short tail 707-123 with

120 style wings, no ventral fin and JT3D engines, modified but still old original 707-123 fuselage.

I can lengthen the tail and scratch a ventral fin as I have the second boxing from 1964 Astrojet

with tall tail and small ventral fin using JT3D engines. I believe my older brother back in the day

built the original kit with JT3C engines....circa 1959-60?   jon

eGZ9ITU.jpg

Jon, I have decided to convert two already started Revell 1/139 E-3A AWACS kits back into Boeing 707-123B N7576A with American Airlines at two different times in its career, but ten years apart. Check out my SCM projects here circa 1969 and 1979. Happy modeling!

K/r,  Dutch 

Dutch, I have the old Revell AA 707 kit (with the fan engines), and I'm going to use the "speedball" markings decal on it as well. It was my very first airplane ride, going from Buffalo to Los Angeles (with a stop at the old lakeside airport in Cleveland), on my way to college on August 19, 1967.🙂

@Paul Boyer I think my first airplane ride was about the same time as a family guest of a USAF Maj Gen on his C-121 Connie.  Can't remember the type [EC or VC] or serial number, but it was so shiny!  I was hooked.  

@jonwinn Yes, that is one big advantage.  Plus the AWACS kit includes a clear windshield, though I will probably paint over it and use a windshield decal.  Also the kit features the correct forward gear doors for the -123, but not for the AWACS.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch