Su-27 G.W.H test build with difference

OK so here we go! A test build of the new Su-27 kit in 48th scale from G.W.H

An enormous box with lots of plastic parts and really big 2 sprues for the upper and the lower fuselage halves.

lOnIeVx.jpg

Speaking of test build not much work so far, cut few bits and pieces of course for the cockpit and the seat to see what it is like.

0vm3piC.jpg

Here are some views of the forward cockpit, out of box, nothing added, just the plastic parts as they are provided. All you need some paint and a good fine brush.

xKDUcIw.jpg

OuVvLHM.jpg

3pYwJvF.jpg

3blYW9O.jpg

fei0DOM.jpg

HbgyQKl.jpg

LKmUVWf.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Little work with the ejection seat last night. Built one straight from the box. Still needs to add the harness system and the leg restraints. No fuss, straight forward build.

igkTZB3.jpg

94frlCi.jpg

dzsGu5z.jpg

8MNNkH2.jpg

Did a dry run with the forward cockpit adding the ejection seat guide rail to see what it looks like. Here is something that I don’t like. There is no positive placement for the guide rail part (Part T1). OK it should be in the middle but some form of a tab would have helped in positioning it. Is the kit unbuildable because of this . . . ???

baVkgQY.jpg

O3BaOVR.jpg

2UaMGOD.jpg

x9YFiM5.jpg 

Here is a look at the after cockpit with its instrument panel, side consoles and the back wall details.

KU8RiDN.jpg

osCKKSY.jpg

CiSqX4d.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On 9/12/2020 at 3:26 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I’m going to have a brief moment of shame when I sand that all off to fit the Quinta 3D decals 😂

Hi Steve!

I have pretty much just seen the ads and whatnot about these Quinta 3D decals, and that's about all I know about them.  I must say, though, that from that minimal exposure to these products, they appear to be a big step up from the Eduard Color/Pre-painted cockpit panels.  Do you have any additional info about these?  I'm inclined to think that I"ll be spending a MONSTROUS amount of money on these 3 D decals in the future, if they turn out to be as good as they appear to be.  Thoughts?!

5 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi Steve!

I have pretty much just seen the ads and whatnot about these Quinta 3D decals, and that's about all I know about them.  I must say, though, that from that minimal exposure to these products, they appear to be a big step up from the Eduard Color/Pre-painted cockpit panels.  Do you have any additional info about these?  I'm inclined to think that I"ll be spending a MONSTROUS amount of money on these 3 D decals in the future, if they turn out to be as good as they appear to be.  Thoughts?!

I don’t have any additional info- this is the first set I’ve ordered and I don’t have them on hand yet, but they look amazing! 

sorry for the thread drift...

8 hours ago, steel_tiger1 said:

Ok now I'm mad! Why is they can get this exquisite detail in a 1/48 scale kit and all we got was basics from Trumpeter in 1/32. It's not fair!!! I need to set something on fire.....

Because GWH is not Trumpeter???

gabor, how, in your opinion, does this cockpit detail compare to the GWH SU-35s kit cockpit?  Is the detail significantly better, or are the two cockpit's comparable?  The parts, thus far, look pretty spectacular, and I'm looking forward to the rest of this build!

Hi Curt B.

It is possible that I am biased (of course I am) but I think this is better. : )  : )    The reason is simple there are years between the two kits. If it was the same or worst level then that would mean that the producer (and also the research work in the background), tool making, manufacturing has not developed further or got even worst. That would be bad in my opinion.

With time progressing each product should improve and integrate lessons learned from previous ones and try to introduce innovation! There are still so many new developments even as we speak which can be incorporated into new products! But let’s not forget also observing new trends and developments with other producers kits. Any manufacturer denying this is lying!

Sorry I still have some other projects so this build is slow and I have some ideas for this also which need some further research and solving some technological problems. Hope it will be worth waiting for. : )   : )

This is not a race and I don’t really agree with people who want to be FIRST with a brand new kit and finish it ahead of everyone else. I like more the fun of doing the build and since it is a hobby, that should be the most important motivation! But this is only my personal opinion.

A pure plastic first build is available anyway on-line to look at if someone is into that kind of thing.

Best regards

Gabor

Sorry I dont have a direct link, but in Jet Modeling section in a topic about the G.W.H kit there was somewhere a link to Haneto's test build of a pure plastic version. I believe it was on a Chinese site. But I am sure someone will have better coordinates for that build. 

Best regards

Gabor

I'm not sure now if this is the link he referred to, but there is very little of his build on it. Skip to page 19 for the build.

If anyone can find a better build, please let us know with the link.

Here's what I found...  

Hope that worked,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday received some Quinta Studio 3D instrument panel decals. WOW all I can say. Three things are included in the plastic bag. First of all the decal, a detailed instruction as to how to use these 3D decals (in English on one side and in Russian on the other) and of course the instruction sheet for the particular decal. It has photos of actual plastic parts from the given kit with the 3D decal applied, giving exact position for every numbered decal.

wrCisSH.jpg

pWUAF6D.jpg

aJ9fojd.jpg

The instrument panels are simply sensational.

-  beautiful instrument faces, perfectly glazed! I love the beautiful “glazed” instrument surfaces, they are almost 100% perfect “glass like” flat finish (I don’t mean texture but surface level) while under it you have the delicate dial details in colour.

-  nice fine details

-  no need to get out the ten Zero brushes and the electron microscope to paint the panels

-  and of course all the switches and dials are as they should be, a true 3 dimensional feel!

Simply WOW!

yqG3fW6.jpg

Here the shadows give a hint of the three dimensional surface.

Dvns3lf.jpg 

Now I am faced with a very difficult choice. Should I use the instrument panels as they are in the kit and do some painting or sand it all down to flat surface and use the Quinta decal. These are the difficult questions of life!

GecNia0.jpg

Of course the G.W.H kit is in 48th scale but I also have some 72nd Hind’s to build in the near future and have a look at this. The same level of three dimensional effect on the small scale panels. You get all those circuit breaker panels, dials, knobs, switches . . .   Yes the pre-painted photoetch had some fine details but it was all flat and in some cases a raster effect of the paint was visible. The latter is almost none existent here since the technology is completely different from the tampon printing of pre-painted etch parts.

FJFu5pF.jpg

FkvLXiy.jpg

I will show any developments with this as I go along.

Best regards

Gabor