Su-27 G.W.H test build with difference

Gabor, on a selfish note, because I can see myself using the Quinta panels, I vote to have you install them as a preference.  I want to see what these look like in a state of the art plastic cockpit!  Please!

By the way, do you know of any model resellers who are offering this aircraft (preferably in the US, by the way) as a pre-sale?

36 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Gabor, on a selfish note, because I can see myself using the Quinta panels, I vote to have you install them as a preference.  I want to see what these look like in a state of the art plastic cockpit!  Please!

By the way, do you know of any model resellers who are offering this aircraft (preferably in the US, by the way) as a pre-sale?

Second first.

I have no idea who is doing resale of the kits in US. Sorry!

It was actually a rhetorical question. I do intend to use the Quinta decal and I am also interested to see it inside the kit, even though we did add as much as possible in the original plastic parts. But when something good and better comes along one has to admit that it looks nice and use it!

I am sure the use of Quinta decals will be a blessing for many who either don’t have the skills, patience, hands (or simply brushes and paints of special kind), or just dont have time . . .   to be able to make something similar from plastic parts (but then again you have the same problem with any resin aftermarkets also). So for them a pre-painted, truly 3D panel, side panels and the rest will be a real help.

Stay safe!

Best regards

Gabor

15 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Should I use the instrument panels as they are in the kit and do some painting or sand it all down to flat surface and use the Quinta decal.

Hey Gabor, could you use the kit's decals first so we can see how they line up? Then you can sand it all off and apply the Quinta Studio decals.

Hmmm, I must admit that I'm more interested to see what can be done out of the box, especially considering that one of the perceived advantages of buying this kit (which is obviously not the cheapest Su-27 kit out there), is that it appears that you can get a very detailed and accurate model without using any aftermarket. The Quinta Studios website shows quite clearly how the panels will look once installed: I guess the only info missing is to see what it will look like once the rest of the cockpit has been fully painted. Still, as I said, personally I'm more interested to see what an out of the box build of this kit looks like as I would like to save the aftermarket for those kits that really need them.

Obviously, I'm only speaking for myself and ultimately, it is your model and your build to be completed as per your personal interests.

It is always a funny situation, the person who actually did the research and design (in this case me) of the decals does not have it as such, so for the moment I am not able to use the original G.W.H decals. For the moment anyway.

Yes, I do agree that it was a design principle (just as before with the Su-35S kit) to add as much detail into the kit as possible so that modellers don’t have to spend on aftermarkets and by so the overall price tag on a build like this Su-27 would be cheaper in comparison with other kits where one has to get a bunch of aftermarkets even if the original kit is cheaper than the G.W.H offering.

I did mention above that my question on use or not use of Quinta decals was a rhetorical and purely theoretical question. I will use the Quinta decals!

BUT

And here I have a “small” advantage, since I am working with early test shoots of the kit there is an advantage to be able to build one with Quinta and also the original out of box version with decals / or just paint. Actually I would prefer painting most of side panels. It is the fun of modelling and after all this is what this hobby is about! Isn’t it?  

While using of course decals for instrument faces, so it should be a hybrid in the end.

Sorry, but this is not a race to be first out with a completely built kit, BUT a hobby where one is doing it for the pure enjoyment! Me anyway.

So please hold on and stay with me, I am doing the build (actually hell of a lot of it) but some parts of it are not for showing at the moment. : (   : (  

Will do eventually and then it will be clear why I held back some of the work.  : )   : ) As I have said in the title of this forum, it is a “build with a difference”.  : )  : )  Hope you will like it in the end!

Stay safe!!! 

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, all I can say is I'm following your work with great interest. The comment about my preference for the cockpit was just about my own personal interest - but the cockpit area is only one small part of the build, of course. If you are going to show us a bit of both options - even better!

• 3 weeks later...

Just realized that the decals and extras in the new 48th scale G.W.H Su-27UB kit have not been shown before.

There are four decals provided. One for the specific Su-27UB versions covered in the kit. The next and the bigger one is for all the general technical stencils which are in most cases common to both the two seater UB and the single seater. Extra decals for the UB version are included also. The third decal sheet is for armament versions. A small errata sheet is included to add more weapons stencils.

6SH4g5j.jpg

Two small photoetch sheets are included for all the small antennas as an alternative to the plastic parts in the kit but also the Angle of Attach vanes for the R-73 missiles. The Head Up Display is provided as photoetch as well as strengthening plates on wing tips which are not on all aircraft, so one has to check references for this (in most cases it is there but there are some early ones without it).

A clear piece of film is provided with “reflector” surfaces for the HUD and the tinted shade in front of it which can be positioned in upright position if wanted.

The real extra for the first production series of this kit is an aluminium turned pitot as alternative to the plastic part in the kit. 

UQcbAkj.jpg

For the stencils extensive research was carried out and all the stencils were reproduced in correct Russian text. But unfortunately scale limitations mean that not everything is legible, but it is there.

RO8Oyv5.jpg

mpWhzKL.jpg

HdW655L.jpg

An interesting touch was to add for example a weathered “Gvardia” emblem to represent the particular time period which was intended to be captured by the paint scheme.

Nrz4KmX.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Well, I don't have the kit yet, as I can't find anyone selling them in the usual US stores, but I DID get the Quinta cockpit set for it.  I guess that means I'm now committed to getting this airplane when it's available.  What a shame!  😊

50 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Well, I don't have the kit yet, as I can't find anyone selling them in the usual US stores, but I DID get the Quinta cockpit set for it.  I guess that means I'm now committed to getting this airplane when it's available.  What a shame!  😊

That’s funny Curt, I did the same thing, but ordered my kit from HLJ after deciding I “had to have it ASAP”.  I got it today and it’s pretty impressive in the box!  HUGE!

Edited by Falconxlvi
45 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

That’s funny Curt, I did the same thing, but ordered my kit from HLJ after deciding I “had to have it ASAP”.  I got it today and it’s pretty impressive in the box!  HUGE!

Great minds think alike, Steve!  😊😊  I look forward to further reports form you on your impressions of the '27, now that you actually have the plastic 'in -hand'.  I have the GWH Su-35s that is still new in box, not yet started to build.  I'm wondering, since Gabor has written that the Su-27 is a bit more advanced due to molding technology improvements, whether I should make the Su-35s first, so I won't be disappointed or frustrated with the '35 if I do the '27 first.  Not sure what I should, or will, do.

Anyway, in addition to the Quinta cockpit for the Su-27, I also got Quinta cockpit sets for the GWH F-15C and the AMK MiG-31BM, and while I haven't opened the Quinta packages yet, the decals look (and feel) spectacular!  They are darn pricey, but I know I could never come close to the kind of detail that the Quinta sets will put into these cockpits, so it's hard to put a price on something that amazing.  I think I'm finally ready, with all the necessary aftermarket stuff, to do the '15 and '31 whenever  I feel like it, now!  

Edited by Curt B
Added thoughts
5 hours ago, Curt B said:

. . . whether I should make the Su-35s first, so I won't be disappointed or frustrated with the '35 if I do the '27 first.  Not sure what I should, or will, do.

Hi Curt B,

This is a good question but I dont think there is a difference between building one or the other first. I have said before both as designer and manufacturer one has to learn and develop all the time, try to avoid previous mistakes, make improvements and also have new ideas implemented. . .  If you dont do that your products are simply DEAD and useless!

The difference between the kits (Su-35S and this Su-27) is not as if you take out from your stash a 1980's Airfix kit and compare it to anything they done today in 2020 (expect the MiG-17 kit which is about the same level as 80's 90's)   : )  : )  or more appropriately it should be  a sad "image"    : (   : (    : (   

It is going to be interesting to hear and see opinions of others like Falconxlvi's about the kit!

Anyway have fun building the kits! I think this is the most important thing!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Su-27UB!  Wow, it is BEAUTIFUL!  The box is the same size as the Su-35s, but I really like the new style white and blue color compared to the all black box that holds the 35.  

5 hours ago, Curt B said:

I just got my Su-27UB!  Wow, it is BEAUTIFUL!  The box is the same size as the Su-35s, but I really like the new style white and blue color compared to the all black box that holds the 35.  

I will echo that!  It’s an incredible achievement in plastic - I am looking forward to starting this as a soon as I finish up my ZM F-4E.  Bravo Gabor and GWH team!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Has anyone found any aftermarket resin exhaust or afterburner/exhaust parts for the GWH Su-27 yet?  I've searched, and found that the 48ers carries a bunch of these exhausts, but all made for the Hobbyboss kit.  I haven't found an exhaust set yet, for the GWH kit.  Maybe the GWH kit doesn't need aftermarket nozzles, but it would be nice to see what a resin nozzle would look like, compared to the kit styrene exhaust.