CD72117 - 1/72 C-130 Hercules - Part 1

12 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Dyess?  Or whoever operated the Herks I saw fly in and out of Ellington for Monthly National Guard duties during th late Sixties and early Seventies?

Oh, you're talking SEA camouflage with the scalloped lower edge demarkation?  Probably not the 39/40/41 TAS which were located at Pope AFB NC at the time.  (Wikipedia link)  Probably the 516th Troop Carrier Wing or later Tactical Airlift Wing.

37764bwy200472x3072_f.jpg.71890797c14193157bf46591d71bfafe.jpg

USAF C-130E #63-7764 from 516 TAW is seen at RAF Bentwaters sometime during May 1972. [Photo by Richard Vandervord] 

According to the Dyess AFB entry in Wiki:

Since 1961, various models of C-130 Hercules aircraft have been stationed at Dyess AFB. The C-130s were originally assigned to the 64th Troop Carrier Wing (TCW) and from 1963 to 1972, the 516th Troop Carrier Wing was the host C-130 wing. In 1972, the 516 TCW was replaced with the 463d Tactical Airlift Wing (463 TAW). During the Vietnam War, TAC C-130 crews routinely rotated to forward based C-130 wings in the Pacific theater to support operations in Vietnam. In 1974, the 463 TAW was reassigned from Tactical Air Command TAC to Military Airlift Command (MAC) as part of a USAF-wide initiative to place both strategic and tactical airlift assets under MAC control.

As to tail codes for the unit / base and time period, refer to this C-130.net chart. If you can remember the tail code and rough timeframe, then that would tell the unit.

Here's a link to AirteamImages beautiful photo of Stewart AFB C-130Es on the ramp at Rhein Main AB circa 1970s.

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
add link

Kursad,

Yes the Wing / Group badge is painted on the front of both sides of the fuselage for late 60's / early 70's USAF (&AFRES?) C-130E/Hs. If you do ANG C-130A/Es, you only have to do the circle or later badge style ANG badge on the tail plus the two letter tail code.  This is early 1970s, prior to 1975ish when the yellow edged blue tailband appeared with ANG and state name in black letters on the wheel sponsons.

AIR NATIONAL GUARD:
AG - 195 TAS - VAN NUYS AIRPORT, CALIFORNIA
CG - 156 TAS - DOUGLAS MAP CHARLOTTE AIRPORT, NORTH CAROLINA
JA - 183 TAS - THOMPSON FIELD, HAWKINS FIELD, JACKSON AIRPORT, MISSISSIPPI
KG - 167 TAS - MARTINSBURG AIRPORT, WEST VIRGINIA
MG - 109 TAS - MINNEAPOILS ST PAUL AIRPORT, MINNESOTA
MT - 155 TAS - MEMPHIS MAP, TENNESSEE
NG - 105 TAS - NASHVILLE AIRPORT, TENNESSEE
NH - 133 TAS - PEASE AFB, NEW HAMPSHIRE
OK - 185 TAS - WILL ROGERS AIRPORT, OKLAHOMA
PA - 193 TEWS - HARRISBURG IAP, MIDDLETOWN, PENNSYLVANIA
RI - 143 TAS - LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
SG - 139 TAS - SCHENECTADY, NEW YORK
SV - 158 TAS - SAVANNAH AIRPORT, GEORGIA
TN - 143 TAS - THEODORE F. GREEN AIRPORT, RHODE ISLAND
VG - 115 TAS - VAN NUYS AIRPORT, CALIFORNIA
WG - 142 TAS - NEWCASTLE COUNTY, GREATER WILMINGTON AIRPORT, DELAWARE
WY - 187 TAS - CHEYENNE AIRPORT, WYOMING

Here's my favorite ANG Herk:

001.JPG.427cab820ba61028392e1f2cffb86107.JPG002.JPG.1bbb16ba2d5ef99f09cba9fb1a224ba4.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Also, does anyone have a close-up of the VOR antenna on the tail (the one that looks like polygon with a disc cut out from it)? I guess this antenna has long been overpainted since the technology was phased out, but it would be good to find out exactly what color the area was so I can provide it as a decal for any 1960s-1980s option.

Edited by KursadA

@KursadA, I believe that the VOR antenna on both sides of the Hercules tail is left in natural metal or painted light gray. The shape is easy enough, four sided polygon. I will see if I can locate a good photo with measurements. 

Somewhere, I also have a scan of the tan (FS30266) and sand (FS33772) over camouflage gray (FS36622) scheme.  There were at least two C-130Es painted in this scheme: 63-9815 (above) and 64-17641, both with the 435th TAW at Rhein-Main AB, Germany during late 1980s - ~1991. Give me a few minutes and I will see what else I can dig up. I think Wolfpak Decals covered the second serial in their Thanks 12-2009 sheet.  [My apologies to the baby seals!]

435th_Tactical_Airlift_Wing_emblem.png.18eff5d4647db8b1b447bd074b371a1b.png

435th TAW badge circa 1976.

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
Added badge.
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

@KursadA, I believe that the VOR antenna on both sides of the Hercules tail is left in natural metal or painted light gray. The shape is easy enough, four sided polygon. I will see if I can locate a good photo with measurements. 

Somewhere, I also have a scan of the tan (FS30266) and sand (FS33772) over camouflage gray (FS36622) scheme.  There were at least two C-130Es painted in this scheme: 63-9815 (above) and 64-17641, both with the 435th TAW at Rhein-Main AB, Germany in 1991. Give me a few minutes and I will see what else I can dig up. I think Wolfpak Decals covered the second serial in their Thanks 12-2009 sheet. 

435th_Tactical_Airlift_Wing_emblem.png.18eff5d4647db8b1b447bd074b371a1b.png

435th TAW badge circa 1976.

K/r,  Dutch 

If fact Dutch it is the colour of the plastic/fibreglass covering and changed colour over time when affected by exposure to the elements. The centre disc was aluminium and painted the colour of the surrounding skin.

Thanks - the sprue shots released by Zvezda clearly show that they feature the VOR antenna as engraved detail, so the final shape of the decal will need to match the kit geometry exactly. But having the exact shape and dimensions would be nice so I can provide a version for those who would like to use the Italeri or Esci kits.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, KursadA said:

Thanks - the sprue shots released by Zvezda clearly show that they feature the VOR antenna as engraved detail, so the final shape of the decal will need to match the kit geometry exactly. But having the exact shape and dimensions would be nice so I can provide a version for those who would like to use the Italeri or Esci kits.

Don't forget the older Airfix kits.  Each kit has it's pros & cons, shape & dimension wise. There was a guide on kitbashing a more accurate C-130 using mostly Airfix & Italeri Herk kits on the old 1:72 scale reference page, but I can't seem to find it now.  Hopefully, Zvezda solves these issues and delivers an accurate kit OOTB.

Ed Note:  ( I found the link to the Definitive 1/72 webpage for the C-130.) Though I doubt many, if any, will attempt such a kitbash now that Zvezda is releasing their kit.

Edited by Dutch
add link.
On 9/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, KursadA said:

Thanks, Dutch - what about the unit markings for this one? The camouflage scheme on top of the wings is unfortunately hard to figure out, but it would be an interesting option:

7362485164_750d9882a7_b.jpg

18841698858_5197a5707e_b.jpg

I believe this scheme was previously offered by Wolfpak on their 2009 "thank you" release (09-012).  I'd have to dig into the decal stash to confirm whether they gave an upper surface pattern and/or any applicable reference sources.

*Apologies, @Dutch has already noted this above.

Edited by Quixote74
On 9/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, Dutch said:

Kursad,

Yes the Wing / Group badge is painted on the front of both sides of the fuselage for late 60's / early 70's USAF (&AFRES?) C-130E/Hs. If you do ANG C-130A/Es, you only have to do the circle or later badge style ANG badge on the tail plus the two letter tail code.  This is early 1970s, prior to 1975ish when the yellow edged blue tailband appeared with ANG and state name in black letters on the wheel sponsons.

AIR NATIONAL GUARD:
AG - 195 TAS - VAN NUYS AIRPORT, CALIFORNIA
CG - 156 TAS - DOUGLAS MAP CHARLOTTE AIRPORT, NORTH CAROLINA
JA - 183 TAS - THOMPSON FIELD, HAWKINS FIELD, JACKSON AIRPORT, MISSISSIPPI
KG - 167 TAS - MARTINSBURG AIRPORT, WEST VIRGINIA
MG - 109 TAS - MINNEAPOILS ST PAUL AIRPORT, MINNESOTA
MT - 155 TAS - MEMPHIS MAP, TENNESSEE
NG - 105 TAS - NASHVILLE AIRPORT, TENNESSEE
NH - 133 TAS - PEASE AFB, NEW HAMPSHIRE
OK - 185 TAS - WILL ROGERS AIRPORT, OKLAHOMA
PA - 193 TEWS - HARRISBURG IAP, MIDDLETOWN, PENNSYLVANIA
RI - 143 TAS - LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
SG - 139 TAS - SCHENECTADY, NEW YORK
SV - 158 TAS - SAVANNAH AIRPORT, GEORGIA
TN - 143 TAS - THEODORE F. GREEN AIRPORT, RHODE ISLAND
VG - 115 TAS - VAN NUYS AIRPORT, CALIFORNIA
WG - 142 TAS - NEWCASTLE COUNTY, GREATER WILMINGTON AIRPORT, DELAWARE
WY - 187 TAS - CHEYENNE AIRPORT, WYOMING

FWIW-193 TEWS was flying the COMMANDO SOLO I.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, Dutch said:

Don't forget the older Airfix kits.  Each kit has it's pros & cons, shape & dimension wise. There was a guide on kitbashing a more accurate C-130 using mostly Airfix & Italeri Herk kits on the old 1:72 scale reference page, but I can't seem to find it now.  Hopefully, Zvezda solves these issues and delivers an accurate kit OOTB.

Ed Note:  ( I found the link to the Definitive 1/72 webpage for the C-130.) Though I doubt many, if any, will attempt such a kitbash. 

Ugh I had the Airfix kit and as it was the only one at the time I started it. It was sitting on my SOD until the Italeri kit came out. Then it went bye bye. I do recall trying to correct the panel lines on the Airfix kit as they appeared to be incorrect. Still have a couple of the Italeri kits but now with the Zvezda kit coming I may ditch them or keep them as decal mules. 

However I did like the Bloodhound missile in the Airfix kit and wished I had kept that.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, Quixote74 said:

I believe this scheme was previously offered by Wolfpak on their 2009 "thank you" release (09-012).  I'd have to dig into the decal stash to confirm whether they gave an upper surface pattern and/or any applicable reference sources.

*Apologies, @Dutch has already noted this above.

Pulled up the Wolfpak decal instructions and did a bit of additional research.  The pattern that Wolfpak provides for the C-130 'desert' scheme looks to have come from @Dana Bell's USAF Colors & Markings of the 1990s book.  The diagram in the book may be one that was created specifically for that publication and did not previously exist in T.O. 1-1-4.  The caption in Bell's book, as duplicated by Wolfpak, labels this as the "Asia Minor" scheme but I believe this is a mistaken carryover from the T.O. 1-1-4 drawing it was based on (see below).  Wolfpak's instructions note that 64-17681 was the last to wear the scheme, and was - ironically - repainted in Euro I just prior to Desert Storm.

The desert scheme color pattern follows the original "Asia Minor" scheme (aka "spinach and sand," 34079 green/30140 brown/20400 tan over 36622 gray), with the darker tan in the desert scheme replacing both 34079 and 30140.  The lighter tan is also different (33722) and the underside color is blue in place of gray (35526).

Thus:

34079  Green > 30266 Tan Special 

30140  Brown Special > 30266 Tan Special

20400  Tan Special > 33722 Creme Special

36622  Gray > 35526 Sky Blue

C-130-Asia-Minor.jpg

For anyone as uninformed as myself: The Zvezda kit is up for pre-order at Hobby Search here

Pre-order price 5525 Yen (~ US$53), expected release "late November". Their pictures include the decal sheet(s), with options for the Oklahoma ANG, Poland, RAF, Japan and South Korea.

Is it me, or does the nose on the built model look a bit too pointed?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some info on the 3 tone tan MAC scheme from the early 80's. Sorry i have a story that comes with the picture but i cant seem to get it shrunk enough to fit on the forum and you still be able to read what the words say. So if anyone knows how to post a scanned document that you can read please let me know. But here is the paint scheme for the planes.  This is for a Little Rock AFB C-130E.  from the 314th Tactical Airlift Wing. The old heads still around Little Rock call these "Banana Birds" I was raised not far from the Base and i remember as a kid seeing these tan planes flying overhead as part of  a 3 ship formation. From info i have gathered from the old heads there were about 1 to 2 planes painted per squadron at LRAFB.  They were all painted to the normal Euro 1 paint scheme by the time i joined the Arkansas AIr Guard in 1989.  I will try and bit and piece together enough of the article to give the history and info about these special painted planes.  this is not my article or my photos i just thought i would share and hopefully help Kursad have enough info so he can include this scheme on this decal set. 

3.jpg