Hi all, 

After a five or so year hiatus I've decided to dust off the tools and get back into the modelling scene. 

I'd sold off pretty much all my stash except for my 1/32 A-7E with all the AM goodies including the complete Zacto set. That may prove a step too far to start off with so I'm going to ease myself into it with a nice, relatively simple build. 

Having been out of the scene for quite a while I'm not really up to speed on what new kits are out there. Any suggestions on a good reboot kit would be greatly appreciated. Modern jet in 1/48 is what I usually build. I was thinking a Tamiya Viper or a Revell Rafale but if there's anything new and exciting out there please let me know. Look fwd to reconnecting with everyone again. 

37 minutes ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Hi all, 

After a five or so year hiatus I've decided to dust off the tools and get back into the modelling scene. 

I'd sold off pretty much all my stash except for my 1/32 A-7E with all the AM goodies including the complete Zacto set. That may prove a step too far to start off with so I'm going to ease myself into it with a nice, relatively simple build. 

Having been out of the scene for quite a while I'm not really up to speed on what new kits are out there. Any suggestions on a good reboot kit would be greatly appreciated. Modern jet in 1/48 is what I usually build. I was thinking a Tamiya Viper or a Revell Rafale but if there's anything new and exciting out there please let me know. Look fwd to reconnecting with everyone again. 

Welcome back!  If you want to treat yourself to state of the art modeling pleasure in 1/48 jets, I cannot recommend the Tamiya F-14 highly enough 👍🏻

Steve 

When I was out for a little bit and ready to get back into the hobby, I grabbed a 1/48 Monogram P-51B.  Low parts count, excellent engineering, minimal (if non-existent) need for filler, and all for about a dozen bucks.  This kit really helped me get my mojo back.  Simpler does not mean inferior.

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Welcome back to the hobby!  If you're open, as a starting point, to a model of a WWII plane that is detailed but not hard to put together and has fabulous fit, I'd recommend the Tamiya P-47D or P-47M.  I'm working on the M variant now, and talk about easy fit...  I know these kits were around when you left the hobby, but no less great!

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2020 at 5:34 PM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Any suggestions on a good reboot kit would be greatly appreciated. Modern jet in 1/48 is what I usually build. I was thinking a Tamiya Viper or a Revell Rafale

Well, as the guys say Andrew, since we haven't heard from you I hope you're doing alright.

If you're still willing to restart the Rafale is a nice kit!

Edited by SERNAK
6 hours ago, tobiK said:

And now? One year passed again since sep 2020. Still back in the hobby or in the next hiatus (like I do now)?

I don’t know if he’s still in the hobby be he hasn’t been back to ARC in well over a year. 

• 1 month later...

Hi there chaps,

Apologies for going AWOL. 2021 has been (as I'm sure it has been for all of you) an extremely challenging year to say the least. Unfortunately I have had some rather serious health issues that have taken me away from the bench and will probably keep me away for the foreseeable future. I hold onto some kits in the faint hope that I can someday return to the hobby, but until I overcome these health issues, I'm afraid I'm just going to be lurking on here ogling at all your fine builds.

Anyway, thank you all for your concern and hopefully one day I can return with a build or two.

Over and out... for now

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Hi there chaps,

Apologies for going AWOL. 2021 has been (as I'm sure it has been for all of you) an extremely challenging year to say the least. Unfortunately I have had some rather serious health issues that have taken me away from the bench and will probably keep me away for the foreseeable future. I hold onto some kits in the faint hope that I can someday return to the hobby, but until I overcome these health issues, I'm afraid I'm just going to be lurking on here ogling at all your fine builds.

Anyway, thank you all for your concern and hopefully one day I can return with a build or two.

Over and out... for now

Nothing wrong with lurking, hope you get your health turned around. Take care.