New 1/48 Rafale seamless intakes

Hello friends,

Being quite frustrated with the absence of any intake trunking in Revell's 1/48 Rafale kit and the price/level of detail of available options I decided to make my own using 3D printing .

After many itterations to get a satisfying results (WIP here) final mold is now ready, three sets cast  🥳

Here you can see both left and right intakes, with an added panel engraved on the left intake (the one without gun):

50342460681_da54d0d5e4_z.jpg

And the inside, much easier to photograph with a bit of grey primer!

50341891518_657f5b777d_z.jpg

50342569246_e66e208826_z.jpg

I hope you like it,

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! 

Continuing to find areas to improve on my Rafales, I will add the lower fuselage rear RAM to the intakes, using plotter-cut vinyl parts.

The Revell kit lacks the last row of RAM:

50386490531_c0aa31d91c_z.jpg

With the vinyl parts in place:

50386667172_75c00836c3_z.jpg

And a light coat of Alclad grey primer:

50386666867_34c4b79f80_z.jpg

Notice that there are more rivets on the vinyl parts, I followed the actual pattern.

Cheers,

Arnaud

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys! A new detailing set is underway and will cover the highlighted areas below (along with the rationale as to why I felt they are required):

• Under fuselage RAM panels, both the B/C and M versions - half missing in the kit
  • Head-Up Display (HUD) - flat in the kit, and I will run a test on Monday to make a holographic, curved HUD :)
  • Fuselage sides grills - wrong shape and location in the kit, 
  • New F3/F3R spine antenna - missing
  • New DDM-NG on either sides of the vertical stabilizer - only the old version in the kit
  • Flare launchers detail (3 versions) - just a flat, featureless area in the kit 
  • Auxiliary exhaust - just a hole in the kit
  • Front fuselage slime lights - these get destroyed when assembling the kit as they are at the upper/lower fuselage joint

50550863656_e28e680b4e_z.jpg

50550127428_401ba9068f_z.jpg

50550865596_e1e76741c0_z.jpg

More to come soon,

Arnaud

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, stalal said:

This is very help and much appreciated. 

There is not a lot of aftermarket available for Rafale kit. There were few but it seems Wolfpack has discontinued them. 

Not that it changes anything but the Wolfpack sets are listed as a mix of sold out out and discontinued.  So there may be hope to one day at least see some of the sets back, hopefully the ejection seat. But at least we have some things from BAM. 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, is it windy yet? said:

But at least we have some things from BAM. 

Here is something that does not exist as far as I know, Exocet pylon for the Rafale M 😉

Making the molds tonight ;)

50698932191_5e6474d19f_z.jpg

50699013707_b87ae81780_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

Edited by arnobiz

Thanks Richard - I can't wait either, unfortunately I had to go last minute on a business trip so I only had time to pour the RTV yesterday evening, I'll only see the result tomorrow - better for the molds life though 🙂

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Holidays to All!  I just received my seamless intakes and B/C/M update set earlier this week from BAM-Models, less than two weeks after ordering them from Arnaud in France.  The items were well packaged with care and with no damage noted to the contents.  The seamless intakes are beautifully molded with no air bubbles or flaws, with the RAM panels delicately molded on the interior of the intakes, an item often overlooked on many Rafale models.  The gun muzzle for the cannon is well represented on one of the intakes, as well as the scribing for the panel lines, and the intakes appear to fit very well after a quick test fit.  The B/C/M update set is also very well done, with the RAM panels and other items cleverly made from vinyl sheet.  I look forward to incorporating these updates on my Rafale, which I have now rescued from my personal Shelf of Doom.  Please note I am not affiliated with Arnaud or BAM-Models in any way, just a satisfied customer who saw his earlier post in September and finally decided to give them a try.  Buy with confidence!

Jeff Newton

Simpsonville, SC  USA