1/48 Red Leader Yavin X-Wing Diorama

Started planning this project 18 years ago, began work on it 8 years ago.  Many stops, and burn-outs, but finally finished it this year.  This thread will feature some of the journey.

The plan:  A diorama of an X-Wing preparing for the assault on the Death Star  as seen in the original Star Wars.

The catch: Make the X-Wing into Red Leader, to match the ILM in-flight model as well as pilot helmet and his unique R5 astromech droid.

In other words, this scene:

b0OSEUw.jpg

CipoznF.jpg

But making it this X-Wing:

ykLpspw.jpg

NMG6Ybm.jpg

And with this pilot/helmet and R5 astromech droid:

IqEBzey.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Primary subject:  FineMolds 1/48 X-Wing.

Changes: Rebuild wing cannon (mounts are much too long)

Feature open canopy

Massively detail cockpit

Corrected nosegear

Sorry, no pics on correcting the wing cannon.

Cockpit was totally rebuilt.  Placards added from ParaGrafix detail set.

Greatest challenge was the unit behind the pilot's seat.  Researching this aspect alone nearly led to burnout.  Here's how it went:

vT6QBTL.jpg

7m5WsBW.jpg

aVGOpDt.jpg

Brass guitar string (low E string & others) used for the thick hoses:

xkMIwsh.jpg

U7b06oi.jpg
wxnru0K.jpg

ipsaiXK.jpg

BygzJ3o.jpg

C6U0XzZ.jpg

Thanks Mario!

Red Leader was tough.  I abandoned the kit pilot.  I started with a Monogram 1/48 jet pilot, I think....filed/carved/sanded off most of the detail.  

Then did a total Frankenstein; separate upper arms, forearms, one hand, and head, all from different pilot/ground crew figures, to get him posed as putting on his helmet for flight.  I just really wanted to capture that moment.  

Detail added from masking tape (vest, straps) and styrene for other details.  Took a lot longer than expected but ended up far surpassing the kit pilot, I think.

Helmet made from a Monogram helmet, with the head/face removed with a roto-drill.  Detail added with styrene, painted to match Red Leader.

0EUaT5G.jpg

l5kh7l6.jpg

3FzrxCa.jpg

7cLuxMa.jpg

TJk6N4J.jpg

RGLtjgM.jpg

8G1Tf9r.jpg

HkolkA3.jpg

Thank you!  Yeah, was tough getting the hands acceptable.....they're not as bad as it looks in the pic, they look more exaggerated here....but not easy doing a Frankenstein and getting all the pieces to match perfectly, proportionally.

Painting the bird was fun.  Do NOT follow the instructions calling for 36440 Light Gull Gray.  In fact, don't just go with 36622 Camouflage Gray either, it's still too dark.

The ILM birds were basically done in white and then beaten up.

What I did was, started with a mix of mostly Flat Insignia White, tempered with just a bit of 36495 Light Gray and another touch of 36622 Camo Gray.  

Afterward, I went back and accented the panels with straight light gray.  

Masked and painted the Red Leader markings with Testors (square bottle) flat red, with a touch of MM Guards Red mixed in.

Did replacement panels in shades of Testors yellow zinc chromate, some of them oversprayed with more light gray.  

Also sprayed the darker gray on the canopy and engines, then took fine sandpaper to the engine gray markings as well as to the markings sprayed on the cannon and the red squadron markings.  

Tried to match the damage/burns to the actual ILM photos.

Prepared a hopefully convincing looking oil/fuel stained temple floor.

NMG6Ybm.jpg

ru7c8OR.jpg

liaUXtS.jpg

ykLpspw.jpg

lCBJoY6.jpg

Fk0Z8HQ.jpg

RmDBCD5.jpg

L0w1zKV.jpg

For the Rebel ground crew, I started with Hasegawa 1/48 USAF ground crew, then played Frankenstein with all of them.  Heads and hands were replaced and re-positioned.  Arms with sleeves rolled up were replaced.  Headsets were carved away or the heads replaced entirely.  For two of them, I had to carve away a jacket to make it into a coverall, and add a belt.

Did two helmeted Rebels, including a blue-shirted Fleet Trooper.  The Trooper was made from a Monogram figure (used in several releases) of a walking pilot, with helmet in one hand and helmet bag in the other (his helmet was used as Red Leader's helmet, shown earlier).  One hand was replaced, and the other hand turned 90 degrees since it was originally positioned palm-facing-rear.  G-suit carved away, then the vest made from masking tape coated with CA glue.  Helmet made from 2 parts of styrene carved, chinstrap from masking tape.  Boots were carved.  

Rebel Tech made with only one-piece helmet, and added the marshaling wands.  

M1SOqZJ.jpg

yQ0IgU6.jpg

5RF7IpN.jpg

M2NFzeh.jpg

i7YUWbp.jpg

I discovered the larger ladder used next to the astromech droid in the actual filming was an RAF ladder used for their F4 Phantoms, the huge curve designed to go over and around the Phantom's intake to the WSO's cockpit.  

I discovered Flightpath makes a very nice representation of this in white metal and PE combination.  The other two ladders came from the Para-Grafix PE set.  The PG set does include the larger curved ladder, but the Flightpath one is far superior IMO.

Refueling hoses made from metal low-"E" guitar strings.  Since these strings only want to stay straight, they had to have every curve pre-bent.  Takes some work since it's a 3-dimensional job.  Two other cords, presumably for power or communications, were from 1/25 auto spark plug wiring.  

p7DApl2.jpg

MzWNa9B.jpg

YMcJMcA.jpg

6F3WfIc.jpg

sihztrz.jpg

Last step after the ground crew was installed, and the canopy installed after scratch-building the hinges:  scratch-building the lighting units which appear throughout the hangar on the deck.  I studied numerous images of the movie trying to get an idea of the dimensions, but this proved more difficult than I thought.  In the end, I used the SWAG theorum (Scientific Wild ***** Guess).  

Upon study, I could see the sides of the units were sloped, not straight up-and-down.  Bad enough to have to build one of these, but I would need multiple copies.  I did three, even though more would have been better; there's only so much punishment I can take.

The structures took two long days of work.  Light lenses were simulated with 2mm x 2mm sqaure acrylic gemstones/rhinestones, a definite score!  Power cords are 1/25 auto spark plug wiring.  

fm8K0H8.jpg

UZFZsWP.jpg

wSGVaTI.jpg

4DXc1bz.jpg

qtx3S2t.jpg

VdmiuWd.jpg

eL1TskP.jpg

xyRaq03.jpg

3zEPoHF.jpg

0XyboUI.jpg

FS6Zwdi.jpg

4 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Gorgeous work, sir!  This has obviously been a laborious build but the results are clearly worth it.  I think all that's missing from the actual set would be the flat cardboard Y-wing in the background! 😁

Funny you should mention that....when I put the clear top on (the base is a display case), I had a 10" print of the hangar scene (1st pic in the 1st post) made and attached to the wall of the case, right behind the ship, cardboard cutout X- and Y-Wings visible 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

OMG this is incredibly well done! Wish I had seen it when you were wrapping it up.

I did my own Red Leader build during 2017-2018 using an original issue vintage MPC kit. But I went for more of a studio model look with the pilot:

xwingfin2.jpg

xwingfin10.jpg

Jeez, that's definitely one of the best MPC builds I've seen, not an easy subject to tackle.  Well done!

On 2/14/2021 at 6:52 AM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Jeez, that's definitely one of the best MPC builds I've seen, not an easy subject to tackle.  Well done!

My pleasure. I went a little crazy on it as you can see. The engines were replaced with ones from an Estes X-Wing. I used parts from a second X-Wing kit to fix the kink in the bottom and made new proton torpedo tubes. This model acted as a bit of therapy for me in late 2017/early 2018 when some not so good things were happening in my life and it helped a lot.