AMP 1/48 Kaman HUK-1 Huskie

Hello all,

This is my latest finished model, AMP's HUK-1 Huskie in 1/48. It's the most fun I've had building a model in a long time. There's no aftermarket and I only made some small changes to better reflect this particular airframe. Paint is Mr Color 365 and the decals are from the kit (although I replaced the national insignia).

It's a tiny model (excluding the rotors, about the size of a 1/72 WWII fighter) with lots and lots of parts. The close-ups show a much rougher finish than I would like, although in real life it looks pretty smooth.

Comments welcome and a full build article is at https://jonbryon.com/amp-1-48-kaman-huk-1-huskie/

Jon

huk1_14.jpg

huk1_13.jpg

huk1_08.jpg

huk1_07.jpg

huk1_06.jpg

huk1_05.jpg

huk1_35.jpg

huk1_32.jpg

huk1_34.jpg

huk1_12.jpg

huk1_23.jpg

huk1_24.jpg

huk1_27.jpg

huk1_29.jpg

huk1_31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty good.  I can see a lot of similarities between this and the H-43.  I didn't know this was also called a Huskie but I wouldn't go sa far as to call it a Pedro.  That name didn't come out until Vietnam.  The name Pedro was taken from a flight mission name assigned to one of the rescue squadrons aand was in use back in 1971 when I took my first recon ride at out base.

From the looks of the HUK the similarities are apparent and I can see the improvements they made.  The engine was changed and mounted just below the pylons that were also changed.  The engine must have been a bear in that location , let alone its size.  The vertical stabes changed a lot too.  As much of a pain as the H=43 could be to go up in, it still ranks as my favorite copter.

Do they make a model of the H-43 B or F yet?

Once again, good job

8 hours ago, ikar said:

That looks pretty good.  I can see a lot of similarities between this and the H-43.  I didn't know this was also called a Huskie but I wouldn't go sa far as to call it a Pedro.  That name didn't come out until Vietnam.  The name Pedro was taken from a flight mission name assigned to one of the rescue squadrons aand was in use back in 1971 when I took my first recon ride at out base.

From the looks of the HUK the similarities are apparent and I can see the improvements they made.  The engine was changed and mounted just below the pylons that were also changed.  The engine must have been a bear in that location , let alone its size.  The vertical stabes changed a lot too.  As much of a pain as the H=43 could be to go up in, it still ranks as my favorite copter.

Do they make a model of the H-43 B or F yet?

Once again, good job

Thanks for your comments! I don't know anything about the 'Pedro' designation, but the HUK-1 became the UH-43C in 1962, right around the time the model is from. As far as I can tell, the HH-43B/F had a different engine, tail, tail booms, rotor mast housings and fuselage. I don't k know if AMP plan on doing that kit, but I think it would require almost an entirely new tool.

Cheers

Jon

9 hours ago, SERNAK said:

What's the interior's colour? Great job, by the way!

Thanks!

I went with a combination of interior green and black as suggested by the instructions. However, US Marine HOK-1s that are in museums tend to show a grey interior. I couldn't find a single colour image of a Navy HUK-1 in the gloss sea blue scheme, so I had to guess.

Jon

Many thanks for your reply Jon.

That's exactly why I have asked you about it. because in all the photos from various museum exhibits I have seen over the years (e.g., HO3S-1) the interior is painted grey (some kind of grey!) instead of interior green.