1/35 USCG HH-60J - What would be needed from new KH 1/35 SH-60 Series?

I would like to build a USCG HH-60J.  I have the Skunkmodels Kit and Black Dog interior, but I suspect I'll enjoy life a lot more working from a newer kit and a bigger scale.  Would any the new kits in the KH 1/35 SH-60 series provide a relatively small effort conversion?  I'm not an expert in these birds.  It looks like the SH-60F has the pylons and door configuration.  It would need the nose sensor.  And no idea about the interior until I get the kit.  And decals would be another story.  Are there any experts here that could give me a sense of what all would be involved?  Not sure if these new kits are a reasonable starting point or not.  I know without enough scratchbuilding, I could start with a B-17.  But I'm trying to be reasonable.  

You pretty much have all that is needed in either the SH-60B or SH-60F kits.  Both are the same plastic with just different decals.  They both include the clear sliding port side windows.  You would just need to build the track they slide on and a drip edge above it.   They come with two port side window inserts.  One w/a sonabouy launcher and open window, and the other with a flat plate and an open window.  You can get two open windows by cutting apart the two port side window options and combining the two open sides.  You would have to scratch the radar dome and FLIR.  And source decals, as you said.

Edited by HeavyArty
7 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

You pretty much have all that is needed in either the SH-60B or SH-60F kits.  Both are the same plastic with just different decals.  They both include the clear sliding port side windows.  You would just need to build the track they slide on and a drip edge above it.   It comes with two port side window inserts.  One w/a sonabouy launcher and open window, and the other with a flat plate and an open window.  You can get two open windows by cutting apart the two port side window options and combining the two open sides.  You would have to scratch the radar dome and FLIR.  And source decals, as you said.

That all sounds pretty manageable to me. I have a -B and -F on the way. May turn the F in to a USCG bird and the -B as an ASW bird she’s intended to be. 

Here's a few close ups of the USCG nose w/o the FLIR underneath,

hh-60j_02_of_10.jpg

mh-60j_6003_06_of_62.jpg

hh-60j_01_of_10.jpg

mh-60j_6003_17_of_62.jpg

The FLIR attaches where the bolted plate toward the rear of the underside is.

mh-60j_6003_56_of_62.jpg

This shows another feature.  The hoist mount is extended to allow room for the rescue basket to fit up to the door.

5488148166_2209c37d80_b.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
20 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Floyd, here is the port side windows on the HH-60H and HH-60J.  You can see the track and a drip edge above the top track.

1047710.jpg?v=v40

You can see the nose radar/FLIR mount here.

2801995.jpg?v=v40

HH-60H

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoDJJNU_7VNyJdVGrRAr2images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcQJsNk2DWNPKQWq5ccVx

hh-60h_163797_02_of_91.jpg

Inside 

hh-60h_163797_85_of_91.jpg

The first two pictures didn't come through

Floyd

14 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The first two pictures didn't come through

Floyd

Floyd,

I'm not amazing at 3D modeling, but I'm not bad and I have a crew of PLA and resin 3D printers for prototyping.  I'd be happy to help out with a USCG conversion set for nothing more than making one on my own in the process.  If I can be of help, PM me. 

Eric

5 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Floyd,

I'm not amazing at 3D modeling, but I'm not bad and I have a crew of PLA and resin 3D printers for prototyping.  I'd be happy to help out with a USCG conversion set for nothing more than making one on my own in the process.  If I can be of help, PM me. 

Eric

Email me at fwernerjr@comcast.net 

Floyd

7 hours ago, juanchopancho said:

Jayhawk conversion would be great but then I would be stuck without any decals... I'm interested in the Kodiak choppers from Deadliest Catch. 😍

Send me pics of the one you’d like.  No promises but if I don’t have the references I can’t do it

Floyd

On 9/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, HeavyArty said:

Floyd, here is the port side windows on the HH-60H and HH-60J.  You can see the track and a drip edge above the top track.

1047710.jpg?v=v40

You can see the nose radar/FLIR mount here.

2801995.jpg?v=v40

HH-60H

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoDJJNU_7VNyJdVGrRAr2images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcQJsNk2DWNPKQWq5ccVx

hh-60h_163797_02_of_91.jpg

Inside 

hh-60h_163797_85_of_91.jpg

Am I the only one who can’t see the first two pictures?  They end with ?v=v40, which I think is what keeps them from being displayed.

Edited by Dave Williams
2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Am I the only one who can’t see the first two pictures?  They end with ?v=v40, which I think is what keeps them from being displayed.

No, they weren't working any longer.  I have deleted them.  The pics posted after them are better anyways.

• 4 months later...

Now with the new Kitty Hawk 1/35 HH-60H available, you are almost there for a USCG HH/MH-60J/T.  The most important piece is that the HC sprue, with the open exhaust parts, is still in the kit. These parts will allow you to build the basic fuselage for a USCG HH/MH-60J/T Jay Hawk. Now we just need decals and the radar nose, along with the internal USCG gear (rescue basket and bags, etc.). Hopefully Werner’s Wings will come through with these parts and decals.

a04eeeb3cafd4ff99cbeda79df5fb3d3aeeafaaf

New HH sprue.

a5bca2ded909cc9e08a11ff9a4aa8156eebb50ae

New PE.

625c5d38cd5a0b0d38dbeb388754f49df475d199

The new interior parts include the electronics racks behind the pilots on the starboard side, the joystick on the center console for the FLIR, correct port side bulkhead, etc..  It all looks good to me.

For the USCG Rescue Basket, it can be found as a 3D printed part at Flightline Engineering (flightlineengineering.com).  I have one on order and will let you know how it is once it arrives.  It looks good though.  I plan on using it in an HH-65C since I already did an MH-60J.  It was shown here at ARC a while ago:  

https://www.flightlineengineering.com/forum/shape-basket/basket2.jpg

Or you could scratch the nose radar, rescue basket, and other USCG items.  You would still need USCG decals though.

Edited by HeavyArty

We want to do it.  Our plan is to do it.  I'm waiting on my HH-60H.  

Now we just need interior shots of the cabin to figure out what we want to put back there.  The nose radome shouldn't be too big a problem.  If we had the dimensions it would be better but we have some good shots.  Same with the FLIR ball.  There are at least three different kinds.  Another thing we need references on are the searchlight fitted to the aircraft.  

Floyd

This MH-60J walkaround at Prime Portal has all the interior pics you need.  It is what I used when building mine.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/mh-60j_6003/index.php?Page=1

A great walk-around with interior shots here at ARC as well; by Dave Campbell.

http://www.arcair.com/AWA1/101-200/walk158_MH-60G/part4/walk158d.htm

On the searchlight, the old style was a Nightsun.

HH-60J-sitka.jpg

Opposite.jpgc1b94033-4ff2-43f0-bf3d-3fe5

The latest searchlight is the TrakkaBeam A800 LED Searchlight, mounted on the right pilot's step sponson.

172692-10748474.webp172692-10748472.webpJK3B0dD4YhBrnMRef3WK3mrcGMSvS040CIUWriFR

Also, the searchlight is not standard equipment.  It is fitted as needed for the mission or not. 

Often, the right sponson is empty.

1000w_q95.jpg

Or there is a shorty fuel tank fitted there.

39821_1141271239.jpg

Latest MH-60T w/shorty fuel tank, TrakkaBeam light, egg-beater SATCOM antenna, hard antenna down starboard side, and mini FLIR ball.

Sikorsky_HH-60J_Jayhawk_6022_C-N_70-1704

Here is a cool scheme for the decals too.  6025 out of USCG Station Cape Cod, MA.

hh60-jayhawk-helicopter-coast-guard.638c

Edited by HeavyArty