I just purchased this sealed kit and will do it as a CSAR from

Vietnam era. I might scratch a few things in the cabin but am

really looking at finding a winch for the right side door. Does

any after market companies make them in resin maybe? I could

always buy the Revell Sea King and steal that one I suppose, I

passed on the Aurora, no rivets or panel lines to speak of.  jon

jolly green 1.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I finished one earlier this year and use parts from an old issue Airfix Sea King to jazz it up. I had to scratch build the intake FOD deflector and correct the angle of the gear sponsons, they don't sit flat OOB.

72_HH-3E_USAF_38

72_HH-3E_USAF_06

72_HH-3E_USAF_22

72_HH-3E_USAF_27

Edited by Trojan Thunder

@Jon,

That's the spirit!  I am building a USCG HH-3F using the same kit.  I think I scratched a winch as you have done.  I did as my brother Ray, and shimmed the wheel sponsons at the bottom to "level" them up a bit.  I also scratched a engine intake shield.  See my in progress build album here.  The build has stalled due to a house move.  In the meantime I discovered the Air-Graphics HH-3F conversion, which I will see if I can use some of the parts.  I need to break it out again, once I get over my small Herk fever.

@Ray,

Nice build.  I missed this one; I like it!  Especially the Int'l orange nose and tail.  You are motivating me to get cracking now.  I have the Wolfpak HH-3E Grey/red Alaska markings that I also want to do.  BTW, are you using the Hawkeye conversion for your HH-3F?

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Thanks, I have the basic shape for the winch and started the cockpit. I have to

scratch a few more levers for the cockpit and paint it gray then detail paint the

dials and switches on the IP and the cushions and belts on the seats. That should

be enough, I don't think much can be seen in that tiny area anyways.  jon

2g7Js2F.jpg

gYyDCvz.jpg

Jonwinn,

Looks like a good start on one of my old friends!

Trojan Thunder,

That's a pretty sharp-looking bird you did there!

Ernest,

Me too, back in the days when it was either Revell or Monogram!

My Old Buddy Dutch,

I'll be checking-out your build.  I remember going over to the Coastie Station in San Diego to see them doing ops.  It should look pretty cool in Orange and white!

Still basically the only decent injected kit for a real important rescue bird during The 'Nam!

Stay Safe, All,

WARDOG

10 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Ray,

Nice build.  I missed this one; I like it!  Especially the Int'l orange nose and tail.  You are motivating me to get cracking now.  I have the Wolfpak HH-3E Grey/red Alaska markings that I also want to do.  BTW, are you using the Hawkeye conversion for your HH-3F?

K/r, Dutch

I used the Wolfpak sheet on my HH-3E and yes so the orange may not be correct for the timeframe, I have the Hawkeye Conversion and decals for my other HH-3F Revell kit ( I also have a Lindberg Ch-3 in the stash, not sure of the scheme yet).

I remember when I was a teenager, I did built an Aurora version, it seem to be ok, but don't know much about the Revell kit. did see some part of your Revell kit you build in here...but want to ask your guys between 2 kits which is the best of your choice? thanks a lot!

let_models 🙂

They are both good. The only reason I chose Revell over Aurora was Revell had some

attempt at panel lines and rivets, granted overdone but at least there. I really liked the

looks of the Aurora and it seemed to have more detail but the lack of lines and rivets 

totally turned me off to it. I am not into scribing but if you are grab the Aurora kit.  jon

Jon,

Yes indeed! Nice work so far. You added more cockpit detail than I put into the HH-3F, but i like it. Just enough of what you will see through the clear parts. I think that you have caught up to me now.  I must get these Herks done so I can get this one back on the bench. Carry on! 

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

I examples of both the Revell and Aurora kits...

....Revell's is in an almost translucent olive green plastic - like @Trojan Thunder, I'll be replacing the top of the doghouse with a section from an old Airfix kit, along with a complete Fujimi main rotor assembly, a Revell tail rotor, and a homemade winch body (as seen on my CH-3B)...

....Aurora's will get similar rotor and winch units, and I'm hoping to use a spare Revell nose transparency to replace the poor-fitting separate originals - the kit's also a prime candidate for treatment with my newly-acquired rivet wheel, once I've mastered the art of achieving straight lines with it!

3 hours ago, jonwinn said:

Nice Sea Kings. I had one in the back of my mind for a while. Who does the 

best 1/72 kit for a Navy SH-3D used on Apollo recoveries in the late 60s. Thanks  jon

Thanks, Jon - I used a Fujimi SH-3H to do Apollo 7's SH-3A recovery aircraft '55':

1067203434_o.jpg

1067203439_o.jpg

Also boxed by Testors, and now by Italeri - and the other Fujimi releases as different variants all use the same base kit.

Some might suggest the CyberHobby kit, but it needs remedial work - and lacks rivets!

Edited by andyf117

I'm a fan of the Aurora...now Atlantis...kit.

No rivets and a nicer nose. IIRC, it comes with a hoist and the front FOD/ice shield.

And the kit is readily available...check Hobby Lobby and use their 40% off online coupons.

About the HH-3F...I read an article which suggested the best start for the radome was a same scale 500lb bomb.

8 hours ago, jonwinn said:

Nice, from what I have read the new Italeri SH-3D is Fujimi plastic. It looks to

have the small sponsons and one? large sponson??? So It should do me an SH-3D

with no problems. jon

👍 That's correct, as mentioned above: "Also boxed by Testors, and now by Italeri"...

4 hours ago, JohnEB said:

I'm a fan of the Aurora...now Atlantis...kit.

No rivets and a nicer nose. IIRC, it comes with a hoist and the front FOD/ice shield.

And the kit is readily available...check Hobby Lobby and use their 40% off online coupons.

The Aurora (Atlantis) kit supplies most of the cockpit framework moulded-in with the fuselage sides, with separate clear inserts...

....on my example, the two all-in-one curved 'corner' sections are a poor fit - hence the intention to replace the entire glazed area.

Also be aware of the "shape" of that Aurora hoist. I have the instructions

and if the plastic is the shape shown it is wrong, a teardrop  shape not

cylindrical like the real deal. Also do NOT put the antenna on the cabin roof

as shown by Aurora, they will be backwards. It's nice but old like Revell.  jon