HH-3 Jolly Green Giant

I like it! So many possibilities: Silver & international red, field green, SEA camo, Aircraft Gray, Aircraft gray & white top, aircraft gray & red arctic bands, SEA wrap around, dessert camo (gulf war), all black, Euro 1 camo, not to mention the AF blue VIP schemes.  However,  it would have to be 1/72, because the only 1/48 kit is the old Attic Models conversion which is OOP. 

Oh, yes please.  Such an underrepresented subject.  And why Atlantis re-issued the Aurora version instead of the Revell version (I understand Atlantis has both Aurora and Revell molds) is beyond me.  

That's the problem with the HH-3 - no decent kits in any scale. The Whirlybirds kit(s) are great, but not many can handle a limited-run resin/photoetched kit. There hasn't been a "new" plastic kit of the Jolly since the late 1960s (Revell, Aurora) and no kits in any other scale. Decades ago, when Italeri was cranking out American helicopter subjects, I suggested to them that a new HH-3 was needed. So much for my suggestion. 🙄

I agree!  A new kit is needed in both 1/72 and 1/48 and maybe even 1/144!  Maybe AMP or one of the other Eastern European companies.  I’m surprised that Italeri hasn’t done one, especially since the Italians flew HH-3s!

Yeah, I was chatting with my club mates many times in the past why e.g. Italeri did not make one, as you can do:

USAF Vietnam, Cold War, Gulf war

USCG

Italy SAR

Argentina

Tunisia (ex-USAF, even ex-USAF Gulf airframes !!)

plus, with some small/bigger tweaking, civil subjects ...

oh well, we can only hope......

14 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Clear Prop comes to mind, they recently did the Huskie and have announced a Super Frelon.

HAJO

Hello, HAJO.

Are you sure about that Huskie? I know that Clear Prop did another Kaman helicopter in 1/72 recently, the Seasprite, but I'm not aware of the Huskie. Maybe you were thinking of the AMP 1/48 HOK-1/HUK-1 (the Huskie's dad)?

If it was up to me, Clear Prop would certainly do the HH-43 and the HH-3.🙂

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just browsing Shapeways and came across a 1/144 scale HH-3 that is available in parts. You have to buy L/R fuselage, L/R tanks, tail & main rotors, interior, clear canopy, etc...  Not cheap! Total for all parts is ~$100.   Hopefully ClearProp can make a new 1/72 HH-3 for less than $50.  FWIW!

On 10/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, Dutch said:

I was just browsing Shapeways and came across a 1/144 scale HH-3 that is available in parts. You have to buy L/R fuselage, L/R tanks, tail & main rotors, interior, clear canopy, etc...  Not cheap! Total for all parts is ~$100.   Hopefully ClearProp can make a new 1/72 HH-3 for less than $50.  FWIW!

There was a discussion about it on Britmodeller a while back. I was considering just buying the tanks and fuselage parts from them to convert a Sweet Sea King, but they said the Shapeways fuselage is too wide to mate with the Sweet clear parts. A small Jolly would look good next to Revell’s 1/144 CH-53C.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown