Hi All,

Yesterday, I received a couple of Xtradecal sheets I'd ordered directly from Hannants in the UK.  I'd heard bits and pieces about Hannants in the past, mostly just references, primarily by folks in the UK, who would say they got this or that from Hannants, or if someone was looking for something, someone would ask if they'd tried Hannants.  Well, just now, with the mailing envelope that I kept, in which the decals came, I looked up the address, and found 2 Hannants stores, one in London, and one in Lowestoft?  OH MY GOODNESS!  What a pair of stores!!! I don't think we have anything like them here in the US, do we?  I'm sure that some of the larger internet sellers probably have warehousing facilities that may look like Hannants on the inside, but not accessible to the buying public.  Is there a brick and mortar store in the US that even come CLOSE to what the Hannants stores appear to carry, the Lowestoft location in particular?

I don't know what possessed me to look them up, but I can sure imagine the damage to my bank account that would result from a trip to those stores; good thing they are many thousands of miles and an ocean away!!!  WOW!  Then again, there IS the Virgin Atlantic 747 that I believe does a Las Vegas to London nonstop flight once a day or so...

Edited by Curt B

We have over 35,000 in stock SKUs (different items) at any time.  As far as I can tell, we are the largest scale modelling business in North America.

Here is a look inside our building in case anyone is curious.  We made this video as part of our 15th Anniversary celebration last July 1.

Edited by gkwan

Mr. Kwan,

I've availed myself of the products your business sells many, many times over the years, and you and your company do a great job, and you've become an American success story.  Good on you!  And I certainly wasn't implying that there isn't a business in our country that equals Hannants, however, I was under the impression that Hannants is a consumer 'walk-in' outfit, which it may or may not be.  Just recently, the one local (Las Vegas) brick and mortar that I thought was reasonably well stocked (though not even 1/10th as big as Hannants) has just closed its doors.  Clearly, the internet business model is the way of today, and likely of the future, but I would submit that there is still nothing like walking into a huge store, filled with whatever is the object of your desires, whether that be scale models, photography, musical instruments, cars/motorcycles, what have you.  Perhaps there isn't a way to combine both a thriving brick and mortar business with a fully stocked and functional internet presence, though it appears as if Andy's Hobby Headquarters in Phoenix appears to be moving in exactly that direction.  

Edited by Curt B
On 9/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, Curt B said:

Then again, there IS the Virgin Atlantic 747 that I believe does a Las Vegas to London nonstop flight once a day or so...

Nope, Virgin 747's were all retired in May, as are all British Airways ones, due to the current pandemic.

-----------------

3 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Nope, Virgin 747's were all retired in May, as are all British Airways ones, due to the current pandemic.

-----------------

I was just joking with that post, by the way...but good to know.  I used to see that 747 arriving many, many times into McCarran.  Just for fun, I looked up what kind of flights it would take to get to London from Las Vegas today.  Both going and coming, it's a one stop, in Chicago, outbound, and Dallas on the return, for the round trip that I just looked at, again, for fun.  Just over $1000 USD.  That would be a somewhat pricey modeling excursion!

3 hours ago, walker@bmi.net said:

Oh No!  I may have to reconsider my plans to retire to Las Vegas😥

Nah...do what I do and 90% of all modelers do...buy off the Internet 😊  Though I must say that that one store was really nice when it was in its heyday and fully stocked!  We still have ONE decent store, for supplies, at least, Hobby One Japan, on Eastern Avenue.  They have the stuff that is often hard to find, like Mr. COlor Lacquers, in stock, in the store.

I've been in Las Vegas for 20 years, and I'm not going anywhere when retirement hits!!

Edited by Curt B

Hannants Lowestoft is indeed amazing, but basically a warehouse where you have to work to find what you're looking for. It's shut to visitors at the moment.

Hannants London, however, is nothing special. It used to be prior to moving to its current location, but these days it's a fairly small shop with limited stock. It's main use, for me, is you can pick up orders from there with a 10% discount, which given I can travel in London for free, is a facility I occasionally use.

Jon

On 9/18/2020 at 12:35 AM, gkwan said:

We have over 35,000 in stock SKUs (different items) at any time.  As far as I can tell, we are the largest scale modelling business in North America.

Here is a look inside our building in case anyone is curious.  We made this video as part of our 15th Anniversary celebration last July 1.

You dont seem to stock many cars and truck models.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:42 AM, gkwan said:

That is correct.  Our focus is on military models.

I think Hannants have a much broader focus on all plastic hobby kits, its nice to buy a Italeri Scania and aFlightpath C-130 conversion at the same time.

Hannants have an advantage over all the others because of time in, reputation, they have all the kits, the buy and sell used kits so their inventory goes far beyond current and recently (5-10 years in the past) items, they make their own enamel and acrylic paints, decals and photo etch parts