How to post external hosted pictures?

With the new forum-software it seems that the standard-procedure of posting external hosted pictures went AWOL.

I usually used [ img]link.com.jpg[ /img] (without the spaces after the first [ ).

Now all I get when doing this is link and not a picture direct in my thread.

Please advice on current and working procedure!

HAJO

Check:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FD0Kbdl.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hajo L.

Hmm, just tried it:

This is the imgur offers for BBC (Forums):

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FD0Kbdl.jpg[/img]

This is for "Share Link":

https://imgur.com/FD0Kbdl

This is HTML-Embed:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="FD0Kbdl"><a href="https://imgur.com/FD0Kbdl">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And finally Markdown (Reddit):

[Imgur](https://imgur.com/FD0Kbdl)

It’s not shared link, it’s direct link, and unless your Imgur is different than mine, it’s an option.  You put only what’s in between the img tags, and it ends with .jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FD0Kbdl.jpg

Not sure why it isn’t showing.  The file name isn’t underlined, so it looks like it’s not being read.  Are your photos set to private or something?

This is a photo from my Imgur, using the Direct Link option.  I just copy pasted exactly what was in the box.

4vlSRiX.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Actually, all my albums have the setting "Hidden"; but I have no clue where to change that. And since now, I never had a problem with this setting. It works fine on other forum and did work here until recently.

HAJO

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

You have to stop using anything with [img] in it.  If you use you [img], you’ve already failed.

When you call up your links in Imgur, you don’t have this screen?  You just pick the Direct link option and copy that.

5qM66FM.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Well, until recently it worked with the [img]... And it does so on any other forum I´m on.

As for linking options, this is what I get:

https://imgur.com/OKee9r6

https://i.imgur.com/OKee9r6.jpg

(This time the picture is showing something that´s not just an example...)

Let´s see if it shows this time.

HAJO

Ok, I finally managed to set the album from Hidden to Public.

Now I don´t have the option to share, but can simply right click and then copy the direct link. Let´s see what happens...:

OKee9r6.jpg

Ah, ok, it works.

This sucks. Seriously.

HAJO

25 minutes ago, Hajo L. said:

Well, until recently it worked with the [img]... And it does so on any other forum I´m on.

They upgraded the forum software a week or two ago, and [img] no longer works on this version of the software.  The fact that it works on other forums with different or earlier versions of software doesn’t mean anything.

Glad you got it figured out.

I just posted and I too am having exactly the same issues. None of those codes work here. I'm on Fokti server. I only have the links and no photos showing up. I've tried all of their links and seems nothing works here. The codes on other forums but not here. Strange. Oh well. If the admin has a better suggestion please let me know.

Edited by tiking
20 minutes ago, serendip said:

This whole discussion proves this is all far more complex than it needs to be - why can I not just post images off my local drive?

Does anyone have an instruction on this?

Sorry to nag but who made this so over complex?

Thanks

The reason you can’t post directly from your hard drive is because, many years ago, someone used this method to upload a virus that knocked the forums offline for a week or so.  Almost no forum software these days allows loading files directly from a person’s hard drive for this reason.  They all require the files to be hosted somewhere.  

Who made the current change?  Invision, who makes the software that this forum, and others, use.  The change was in their latest software update, and I doubt ARC had a choice in the matter.  I suppose the choice could have been made not to update, but then you miss out on future software updates and your old version may not be supported after a while.  It’s not complex, it’s just different.  The majority of people have figured it out.

23 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The reason you can’t post directly from your hard drive is because, many years ago, someone used this method to upload a virus that knocked the forums offline for a week or so.  Almost no forum software these days allows loading files directly from a person’s hard drive for this reason.  They all require the files to be hosted somewhere.  

Who made the current change?  Invision, who makes the software that this forum, and others, use.  The change was in their latest software update, and I doubt ARC had a choice in the matter.  I suppose the choice could have been made not to update, but then you miss out on future software updates and your old version may not be supported after a while.  It’s not complex, it’s just different.  The majority of people have figured it out.

Thanks Dave,

But it is complex - it's lazy software and lazy users not voicing the fact that this could be done better.

It's not about figuring it out (thank you very much) but that I have better things to do than take 53 steps to post a picture.

I tried to post with text and the current picture links, and I constantly get this failure message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@arcforums.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:04 PM, Dave Williams said:

'It’s not complex, it’s just different.  The majority of people have figured it out.' Then perhaps you can assist the feeble minded and advise if Google photos qualifies as a host?

6 hours ago, serendip said:

'It’s not complex, it’s just different.  The majority of people have figured it out.' Then perhaps you can assist the feeble minded and advise if Google photos qualifies as a host?

No idea.  Don’t use Google photos and don’t know anything about it.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

BBcode no longer works.  You have to use direct link.

Yes, I am aware. I was trying to update my original post but the forum had issues. I did not get back to update my original post until now. I was going to mention that Mike over at BritModeller had updated his site (they run the same forum software) and he has been able to get BBCode links working again.

Mike mentioned:

"We've just had an update to the forum in case you hadn't twigged, which has removed the image proxy that fixed http issues.  I hadn't twigged that as a result they're not going to let us use non-https photos & links though.  Some further looking is required here."

He got it working, so perhaps Steve could chat to Mike to see if he can get it working over here.

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:04 PM, Dave Williams said:

Thanks, but then how come I want to sell my car or whatever on pretty much all sites worldwide I can easily upload pictures but it doesn't work here. Those sites surely are way more attractive for hackers than ARC is