Not being a Tomcat expert I was unaware of this dual AIM-9 pylon configuration. A quick review of several of my reference books found literally dozens of photos of F-14s loaded with this setup.  I've never seen this on a model before. Learn something new every day ...

Whoooa, that's super interesting. I never had any idea there was 'early' shoulder pylon. Nice. Especially since there are quite a few models of VF-1 F-14's from their first cruise.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, andrew.deboer said:

L8iTt1Y.jpg

beautiful work so far Andrew.

Do you know from what kind of material these decals are made of? I mean these are supposed to be decals but obviously in order to achieve the "3D" effect they must have used a different material. Perhaps resin?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I was wondering what kind of lifespan these have and if its worth buying them?

It's not like the typical cockpit decals that you will spray a couple of clear coats and everything will be sealed almost forever.

So, any clues?

Edited by SERNAK
On 8/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, SERNAK said:

beautiful work so far Andrew.

Do you know from what kind of material these decals are made of? I mean these are supposed to be decals but obviously in order to achieve the "3D" effect they must have used a different material. Perhaps resin?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I was wondering what kind of lifespan these have and if its worth buying them?

It's not like the typical cockpit decals that you will spray a couple of clear coats and everything will be sealed almost forever.

So, any clues?

This is a proven and reliable technology.  I find it more user-friendly than applying photoetch. Printing with polymeric material

https://quinta-studio.com/en/

Edited by Sergei Galicky, Russia

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the clarification and for the video. its easy to apply the decals but, I'm wondering, can we gloss coat afterwards with a matt varnish to seal everything?

Another thing that I noticed is how realistic the decals look in contrast to the rest of the cockpit that doesn't have this level/quality of detailing. For whomever decides to apply these decals he/she must be willing to put the extra work in a cockpit because otherwise, it makes quite a contrast.

You mention that the decals are printed with polymeric materials, so I presume it takes a very long time before they start to dissolve.

By the way, the video doesn't do much of justice to the high quality of the decals and the realism they offer. You have to see these from up-close to truly appreciate their high quality.

I'll definitely buy a set for one of my Tomcats.

Thanks again for the clarification Sergei.

Bill 

Bill, technology for transferring these decals into place is the same as for water decals, only it's recommended to fix them with PVA or cyanoacrylate glue. I would not cover them with a matte coat, they are made taking into account the fact that the cockpit has both glossy (glasses and screens) and matte parts - toggle, buttons and switches.

7292_zm.jpg

Love the Quinta stuff!! Far better than PE, durable and will last the life of the model. I don’t put it in water. Just touch it to a damp paper towel is enough to remove the ‘decals’. Then I put them on a dry cloth and do them all that way so I can apply them all at the same time. PVA white glue or CA both work great. I weather them with enamel washes and mask the big glass screens and shoot a flat coat. The decals have mostly semi gloss appearance except for the screens and glass dials - those are gloss. After a flat coat, remove the screen masks and add a drop of Future or gloss back to the dial glass. You could mask that too but it’s too much work for me and a drop of Future restores is beautifully. I really love these things and they look great! 

Read the company page and they hide a good description of how to use them and what you can weather over them with. 
brian 

• 1 month later...

I’m ready to call this done.

5chK28J.jpg

bIGe8Ws.jpg

I could keep picking at it forever, but it’s time to finish something else. The second blade antenna on the spine appears to have made the jump to lightspeed, so I'll have to fix that. The intake lips were missing in these photos but they are there now. I decided to go pretty "factory fresh" on this one.

COMPONENTS

• Tamiya F-14A #61114
  • Fightertown Decals 48080 – Fightertown USA Part II
  • Quinta Studios F-14A cockpit set
  • Phase Hangar #48060 -  Early Beaver Tail and Seven Gun Vent Panel
  • Canopy hook photoetch from the Hasegawa F-14
  • Canopy rearview mirrors from Tamiya

REFERENCES (this is a partial list at best)

• Tomcat Alley by Dave Brown
  • F-14 Tomcat In Action by Lou Drendel - 1977
  • F-14A & B Tomcat in Detail and Scale by Bert Kinzey – 1982
  • Aerofax Minigraph 3 – Grumman F-14A & B by Jay Miller - 1984
  • Warplane Classics: Grumman F-14 Tomcat - Jon Lake, Editor
  • F-14 Tomcat by Tony Holmes
  • World Airpower Journal Vol. 7

TWEAKS

• I added a second Turbine Inlet Temperature probe just below the windscreen on the port side. This seems to have been specific to Block 60. The kit does include two of these parts, so that was easy to do.
  • I deleted the position light from the trailing edge of the left fin cap since this light is found on the beavertail next to the fuel dump.
  • I did not modify the tailpipes to reflect the shape of the early TF30 nozzles.
  • I did not reproduce the early glove pylons. Truthfully, I sat down to do that and just didn't feel like it. It would have been straightforward work but I just noped out.

Edited by andrew.deboer