Testing inexpensive airbrushes that are suitable for entry level modelers

One of my favorite side-hobbies, is to test inexpensive airbrushes that should be suitable for entry level modelers.

I always do my best to get the best possible performance out of those, so they are not entirely as they come from the vendors (usually Chinese copies of higher level airbrushes).

I polish their needles, lubricate the components and make sure there is no flash or residue inside out.

This is such an example.

I initially started with a pressure of about 15-20 PSI, what I usually use with my normal IWATA CM-C+ airbrush:

20200922_220925.jpg.1cde15ac25eb8e64cb2ee242a9191c3f.jpg

For the first contact with an inexpensive airbrush, this looked already quite ok...

The next step was to test with slightly lower pressure, in the levels I use with IWATA Revolution. Somewhere between 10-15 PSI:

20200922_220909.jpg.61dc12313eb2ce61b8c3849be120c847.jpg

And this time, the results got immediately much better. Have a look at the dots and compare between the two test sheets. Amazing difference!

Then, I decided to test for how long could I maintain a thin line without clogging, an important factor for those painting complex camouflages:

20200922_232539.jpg.6d201c316484e4853aee5d720751c811.jpg

Again, not bad at all!

So how much have I spent for this tool?

Well, believe it or not, this is a 40.00AUD airbrush!

Edited by DIO

This inexpensive copy, would not stand a side by side comparison with the actual CM-C+,  but I honestly wish I had the opportunity to own one when I begun modeling.

My advancement would have been much faster. On the other hand, my need for something even better (and more expensive) would have also come much earlier too, but this is another story!

Edited by DIO
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive just been looking at mine, Its a strange mix of HP-C+ and CM-C+.

Does it have the standard nozzle or a floating nozzle as found in the HP-CS and the like?

Check the photo. Mine is just like the Iwata, but it has an "O" ring, as the quality does not allow for a proper seal without it.

I guess there is a lot of experimentation and many different incarnations of the branded airbrushes.

Its not.
The fine adjustment wheel at the back is different to the CM-C+, and the "lump" behind the MAC adjustment valve is different to the CM-C+ too, the real CM-C+ doesnt end with that lump, that is more characteristic of the HP-CH, but the HP-CH doesnt have the cut out in the body to see the needle seal that the CM-C+ has.