Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-30SM - Finally.

Not even gonna bother with this thing.  GWH is clearly pretty committed to the Su-27 family and I'm happy to hold out for that, knowing it will be so very damn good.   The Su-35 was just such a pleasure to build, I can only see the subsequent releases being even better. 

I may not live long enough to see this subject being released by GWH (just as MiG-29K/KUB/35), so I better do the one from KH.

I've built their Su-35 and prepared Su-34 till primer process, not sure what people mean by saying they are terrible - for me they are pleasure to build. Of course, they need more effort to prepare but it's still modelling which is my hobby (not work). BTW. Would love to see KH release Su-37 kit, that would be the final gem in my started Flanker collection.

You said it right there... they need more effort to prepare, that translates to "they are rougher."   All good if you don't mind filling giant gaps and fixing steps and whatnot, but some people prefer not to have to deal with that on a modern kit.  That's why I liked GWH's offerings so much... I could focus on paint, and didnt need to do much filling and re-scribing. 

i think the point is not filling and try to understand their instruction ! the point is there is always something missing in their kit and they charge a lot of money so we are in the right to said the true ! why they have so many errors? why we have to says ok some aftermarket will do it when is not the capacity of doing the things more looks to me to rush on the market using what they think is close to the kit and that's all but nobody push me to buy it ok but i would like to buy it so if they continuing ignore our comments well they have to understand our disappointment  now this kit is full of sprues from the previous kit and they said ok this is enough nobody will notice that but what's the point to do a kit when you can't build it as it state on the lid? SU 30 SM has a different cockpit layout but they still call su 30 sm !!!!! 

Edited by legend1

Well, I was all that excited and I have just noticed that this kit (just as Su-30MK) will contain no weaponry. Not sure what to do now, I was about to buy the kit when it only arrives to the shops, now I'm not that sure. First the cockpit, then the undercarriage and pylons...

It seems this may be the reason:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kitty-hawk-kh80151-russian-aircraft-armament--1017550

Edited by Tapchan

Tapchan ok then why fill the yak 130 with weapons? which as far as i know are more less then inaccurate !!! then the cockpit in the new su 30 SM i ordered but was too late when i realize the cockpit missing ! well no more kittyhawk and mayby there are many of us willing to spend more money just for build that type of jet and don't care about the price and the money to spend in aftermarket 

Edited by legend1

I love this shape but I hate latest KH's practices. Su-27UB - combat capable but mainly trainer - contains set of weapons but Su-30MK and Su-30SM which are fully combat-intended have absolutely no weapons. Aside of the gun. But you can buy this set of weapons as I mentioned before, it only cost extra €35. With average price of Su-30MK (and expected Su-30SM) at €75 it gives us total €110 for similar content their Su-35 offered at €60.

I could live with wrong IP - I'd probably buy Quinta set or I could just get over it as I close the cockpit anyway.

I could live with distorting canopy - maybe the one from GWH's Su-27UB would fit, maybe with just little trimming, and there are 2 included.

But I am not willing to pay €110 for something that, basing on quality, should cost around €70 at max.

If KH decide to quit adding big variety of weaponry - be it (however I've always thought this is one of few things you want to buy KH model for). But then - add the minimum, at least what you show on the box. I let myself fix the box art a little bit so it fits the reality.

Old:

20200922153638_46600.thumb.jpg.7bdb75cd2

New:

76710895_2669273789831963_18836371841671

I don't know what to do. I was about to buy it immediately after release, however I'll wait. When I get my GWH Flankers will try to clone pylons with bluestuff and milliput, I have 4x R77 + some other leftovers from KH's Su-35 and Su-34. If it works then maybe I'll get one, if not then... oh well. If GWH announce their Su-30SM in the meantime then I'll be happy to forget about this one.

Edited by Tapchan
16 hours ago, Tapchan said:

I love this shape but I hate latest KH's practices. Su-27UB - combat capable but mainly trainer - contains set of weapons but Su-30MK and Su-30SM which are fully combat-intended have absolutely no weapons. Aside of the gun. But you can buy this set of weapons as I mentioned before, it only cost extra €35. With average price of Su-30MK (and expected Su-30SM) at €75 it gives us total €110 for similar content their Su-35 offered at €60.

You also forgot to add the price of the Quinta Cockpit to the total, so that's another €18-20 for €130.

Sh!tty Hawk solution. Same as the wrong windshield in the Su-27 forcing you to buy the Su-27UB or Su-30MK kit for the right windshield. Buy an Su-35 kit for €60 instead of the €35 weapons set. You get the weapons and a Su-35 kit for €25 😉

Edited by Inquisitor
  • 1 month later...

Having built the Su-30MK, I've got to say that for the most part the fit is great. Two trouble areas are the fit of the nose onto the fuselage and the lower fuselage engine covers (sorry but I am probably using the wrong term). Aside from that the cockpit fit well and everything else was not bad. The decals are ambitious but awful in use - they don't react to setting solutions except to become kind of rubbery. The instructions are awful - constantly shifting view angles and lack of detailed installation diagrams for many parts. And now the lack of weapons - all of this for $70? Honestly, I bought their Su-35 v2.0 and got the plane, 4 sprues of weapons, resin crew and exhausts, AND their Russian weapon carts for $72 shipped. This kit shouldn't retail for more than $50 on a good day in my opinion. I'll more than likely buy the GWH Flanker.

For €85 I can buy Su-27 from GWH (with weapons). If I ever find this Su-30SM for around €60 - I'll buy it then.

@jgreaseI like building jets in their natural environment so in-flight, such distorting canopy becomes a real problem too in that case.

Edited by Tapchan