1/72 Italeri F-100F

I have this kit and want to do it as a Vietnam Misty FAC. I realize it needs the drop tanks lengthened

to make them 335 gallons and I need to find a 7 shot LAU-59 rocket pod. What else is needed outside

of decals? I read somewhere that the seats or cockpit tub was too low and remember seeing where

someone lowered the slats but not too much as to show acutating mechanism. How was that done?

I'd like to show them just a bit down as in pictures when they were parked static. Any other "cures"

to this kits faults would be much appreciated.  jon

Obscureco has a replacement wing with extended slats: LINK

I seem to remember some replacement seats and maybe even a cockpit from somebody, but 1/72 isn’t really my scale so I’m not familiar with what else is available. Overall, the general shape of the Italeri kit is superior to Trumpeter.

Ben

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Jon, I think that F-100F Misty FACs had some added RHAW antennae under the nose intake, wingtips, and tail. I will see if I can find photos or references. 

K/r,  Dutch 

Some did, some didn't, since the Misty jets were borrowed from other squadrons. That's why they often had different tail codes (SE, HE, SS) No mods to the wing tips on USAF jets. I think those were just added to the RDAF jets. Note that the Misty jets didn't fly with the inboard pylons; only the outboards and drop tanks.

Prime Portal has a great walk around of 56-3837, in case Jon wants to add the nose and tail antennae: F-100F 56-3837 walk around

Here are a couple of jets that didn't have the RHAWS gear, if Jon doesn't want to add the antenna to the nose and widen the tail fairing:

From https://friendsofthesupersabre.org/history/f-100f/

F-100F-58-3813-Misty.jpg

From https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/Photos/igsearch/misty/

090617-F-1234P-036.JPG

Here's a great shot of the rocket pod from the same link above:

101217-F-1234S-101.JPG

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Mate, the wings you need are in the Obscureco range.

Aires produce  :

- speedbrake/wheel bays

- engine exhaust

- Pit (F-100D)

Unfortunately the pit is for the single seat and all are designed for the Trumpy kit, here my build to check

For the seven shot rocket launcher, the close I remember are the M-260 from CMK.

Finally,the decals was in an old Wolfpak sheet for sure and maybe in a Caracal one

Hope help in some way

Gianni

Dutch, I believe those antenna were added "in country" when the going got tough

and they needed extra protection. I know they didn't have them to start and not all

had them as Ben stated.  jon

xyEyiX6.jpg

Edited by jonwinn