1/48 F-14D VF-101 Grim Reapers (2004)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:45 PM, Tapchan said:

Looks great sir 🙂

On 11/7/2020 at 12:40 PM, Thadeus said:

Lovelly paintjob. Probably did not get that dirty in real life, but still, amazing weathering. Must have taken a lot of time to finish it. Great job.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:29 PM, Drake64 said:

beautiful work :thumbsup:

Roberto

Gentlemen, Thank you!!

Wow, super looking F-14!!!  May I ask how you did your weathering?  It looks like the 'grime' was added after the main paint work was complete, but I suppose with aggressive black basing, one could get close to this.  Curious how you accomplished this look.  But again, great job!

• 5 months later...

Just an informative opinion here...101 was a land based training squadron.  Their time out to sea was limited to two, maybe three days tops for CQ dets.  Hence, these birds would never see this much wear and tear unless everyone in the line shack just up and quit.  Not meaning to sound as a negative critique, it just wouldn't match this particular paint scheme. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, scapilot said:

Just an informative opinion here...101 was a land based training squadron.  Their time out to sea was limited to two, maybe three days tops for CQ dets.  Hence, these birds would never see this much wear and tear unless everyone in the line shack just up and quit.  Not meaning to sound as a negative critique, it just wouldn't match this particular paint scheme. 

Exactly bud, plus this jet was a show/demo jet and never ever was this weathered. Very nice job on the weathering and maybe you should have picked different markings to go with the heavy weathering.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, scapilot said:

On 6/3/2021 at 8:12 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Exactly bud, plus this jet was a show/demo jet and never ever was this weathered. Very nice job on the weathering and maybe you should have picked different markings to go with the heavy weathering.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Thanks for the embedded compliment in there!  But...did you two even read my comment at the beginning of the thread?  The over weathering was the literally the only thing I mentioned.  I have no problem with criticism but really? 😑

14 hours ago, Fly-n-hi said:

Thanks for the embedded compliment in there!  But...did you two even read my comment at the beginning of the thread?  The over weathering was the literally the only thing I mentioned.  I have no problem with criticism but really? 😑

I did and my comments were not meant to be derogatory. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I merely stated that you did a great job with the weathering but should have used different markings because this particular jet never got that beat up.

Steve

I totally love the weathering job.  It does look like a bird that has done many months at sea.

The comments regarding the markings and loadout as they relate to the weathering were very informative.  These finer details are what we all wish we could hear from WW2 vets.