Aftermarket extended nose gear for Hasegawa 1/48 us navy f-4 phantom

Hi all,

I'd like to build a 1/48 Hase F-4S with its nose gear extended, as if it's about to launch from a carrier. I know Scale Aircraft Conversions makes a metal landing gear set for Hasegawa's British F-4 with the extended nose oleo. 

Question: would this set (designed for British F-4s) fit and be correct for the USN F-4 kit? I assume the nose gears were all the same (both in kit form and real life) but just want to make sure. Thanks!

J

Probably not.  The British Navy F-4 (F-4K/FG.1) had a unique nose strut that had two sections that extended for launch, giving a more nose-up stance on the catapult.  This provided additional angle of attach at launch, which I think was because the Brit carriers had shorter catapults. Extended, I believe it was longer than the U.S. ones by the length of the fully extended oleo.  Note that the RN Phantoms had 2 sets of scissors on the nose strut vs. just one on the US and RAF versions.

Edited by Joe Hegedus