Kitty Hawk Su-30MK build review - Finally done - Part 5 is here!

• jgrease changed the title to Kitty Hawk Su-30MK build review is moving along to Part 2!
On 10/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, ijozic said:

It's somewhat confusing that it's more expensive than the similar KH Su27UB which at least includes A2A weapons.

What's the excuse for no weapons included AND higher price? Smaller production numbers perhaps?

Your guess is as good as mine. I got the latest boxing of the Su-35 with resin nozzles, figures, and the Russian Weapon carts for $71. No logic to that.

With it's drawbacks and competition this kit (and the whole recent "batch" of KH's Sukhois) is well overpriced. IMO shoudln't be (much) more expensive than Su-35. And to add lack of weaponry...

I'm curious of the nose fitting as coming Su-30SM and J-16 may share the same design. 

don't forget that the new su 30 SM apart the missing weapons there is no cockpit for the SM  version ! so we have a box of su 30 SM but it can be finished as SM totally illogic i sent an private message to Mr Song of kittyhawk but he didn't answer ! wonder why !!! 

Edited by legend1
  • jgrease changed the title to Kitty Hawk Su-30MK build review - Part 3 is available now!

Those v-stabs seem to be a pain in fool to do. What I hated about Su-35 was v-stab design so they had to be installed prior to painting which made the inner areas extremely hard to freehand camouflage. Now the idea is better but the effect... as Kitty Hawk's usual. Instead of long slat fitting tightly and seamlessly to the fuselage (as with GWH's Su-35) you get this gap, so you have to glue it in before painting process anyway to fill and sand 😄. Unlike before however, this time I can see the fitting is loose and leave some room to glue stabilitor not fully straight.

Fitting of the aerodynamic break also leaves some room for improvement. 

2 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Those v-stabs seem to be a pain in fool to do. What I hated about Su-35 was v-stab design so they had to be installed prior to painting which made the inner areas extremely hard to freehand camouflage.

Exactly. I really wanted to hold off installing them, but no dice. Ugh. 

On 10/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, Tapchan said:

I'm curious of the nose fitting as coming Su-30SM and J-16 may share the same design. 

I've finally test-fitted the nose, and it was quite a good fit - but like everything else in the kit there is no positive locating tabs.

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • jgrease changed the title to Kitty Hawk Su-30MK build review - Part 4 now available!
  • jgrease changed the title to Kitty Hawk Su-30MK build review - Finally done - Part 5 is here!

John,

I really like your approach to kit reviews and builds. The commentary and analysis is objective and helpful, all the while being delivered in a calm, restrained tone, thanks to your pleasant on-screen demeanor. Too many model bloggers rely on hyperbole and other antics to "sell" their brand. So it's refreshing to experience your relaxed and professional style.

Good luck with the channel...I'll be following.

Rich

Edited by RichB63
On 11/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, RichB63 said:

John,

I really like your approach to kit reviews and builds. The commentary and analysis is objective and helpful, all the while being delivered in a calm, restrained tone, thanks to your pleasant on-screen demeanor. Too many model bloggers rely on hyperbole and other antics to "sell" their brand. So it's refreshing to experience your relaxed and professional style.

Good luck with the channel...I'll be following.

Rich

Thanks very much Rich - I call it like I see it, and I hope to keep things entertaining.

John

On 11/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, legend1 said:

thanks very much for this tutorial ! you rocks waiting for the SM version of the SU 30 if you still have some patience with kittyhawk

You're very welcome! Certainly quite a few issues as per usual with any KH kit - I keep hoping they will learn from their past, but no such luck...

15 hours ago, juanchopancho said:

Aww hell no.😆 I will wait for GWH SU-30

If I desperately wanted to build another Su-30, I guess I'd have to learn from their mistakes and try and do better. I would pick GWH over KH any day.

3 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Join me at the waiting bench then, I wait for MiG-29UB from GWH.

We'll all be waiting at that bench. LOL