Eduard Bf 109E-1/3/4 Adlerangriff

I am the worst at getting sidetracked on projects...but don’t worry, the F-111s aren’t totally shelved.

Anywhoo- I started building the beautiful 1/48 Adlerangriff boxing of Eduard’s Bf 109E series.  The kit lets you build one Bf 109E-1 and one Bf 109E-3/4.  Most of the cool marking options are for the latter, so I picked up another Bf 109E-3 Profipack to do the marking schemes I want.  And now, I have three 109s in progress 😂🤦🏼‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Pictures!   The start -

XWVRb5g.jpg

Interiors 

szfRZLD.jpg

The included photoetch is more than adequate 👌🏻

XLaFcN5.jpg

The engine was spruced up a bit with some leftover photoetch for the hoist points (actually F-111 seatbelt buckles 😂), lead wires for some piping, and a bit of mesh for the super charger intake.   I just built 1 “full” engine since only the Bf 109E-1 will have the engine cowling off.  The other planes will be buttoned up.   
knEND65.jpg

kakkk6o.jpg

I added the firewall, mount, ammo boxes, and guns...plus some paint and weathering and here is the result:

d1IgPsO.jpg

xVar9G0.jpg

Also painted up the cockpit sidewalls using black base primer and shades of Mr Color RLM 02 

m2XWK6T.jpg

Next, I painted the cockpit tubs and really tried to work on my weathering and chipping.  I used oils, enamel washes, pigments, and a 20/0 brush for scratches.    

Here’s what the tub and sidewalls look like together:

bMVAWTD.jpg

aw48c0g.jpg

And there you have it!  So now you know why there hasn’t been an F-111 update in a bit.   And I just pre ordered the ZM F-4E 😂🤦🏼‍♂️   I’m hopelessly distracted, but you have to run with inspiration when it strikes!

Thanks for looking and happy modeling!

Steve 

Edited by Falconxlvi

Nice work. I too am easily sidetracked, and I bought that same kit because it has neat marking options.  And I just pre ordered a ZM F-4E as well. 

The question I have is, did you glue all the cockpit parts together, spray the RLM02, then go back and detail paint the control stick and other details later?

Edited by Kurt H.
7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Nice work. I too am easily sidetracked, and I bought that same kit because it has neat marking options.  And I just pre ordered a ZM F-4E as well. 

The question I have is, did you glue all the cockpit parts together, spray the RLM02, then go back and detail paint the control stick and other details later?

Hello Kurt,

Yes, that’s exactly what I did except for the seat, which was painted and detailed separately to aid in attaching the seatbelts.  It’s a bit of an awkward reach with the brush but I like to assemble and paint as many things in one shot as I can.   You are right about the cool markings for this kit!  It’s tough to just pick which ones to do.   

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
10 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Hello Kurt,

Yes, that’s exactly what I did except for the seat, which was painted and detailed separately to aid in attaching the seatbelts.  It’s a bit of an awkward reach with the brush but I like to assemble and paint as many things in one shot as I can.   You are right about the cool markings for this kit!  It’s tough to just pick which ones to do.   

Steve

Thanks Steve, I am always looking for better ways to do things, I will give this a try.

Wow Steve! love that cockpit; the paint and weathering is spot on. I'm following with interest.

Don't need to explain the sidetracking; inspiration works in mysterious ways.

Thanks for sharing

Carlos

Hi guys,

Steve, very nice work on your cockpit!  Looks like I have the exact same situation, forthcoming, as you have now.  I already have an Eduard Bf 109E-3 (the Profipack 8262) and the 1/48 Adlerangriff on the way.  You've already provided an inspiration!  Can't wait to get the new kit in-hand...I'm jealous of your painting/weathering work on the 'pit and the engine.  Not sure I could ever get close to that standard of build, but at least I now have a level to aspire to!  I'm also impressed with the concept of a multiple build going on.  I've often wondered if it makes sense for me to do builds like that for those subjects where I have 2 or more kits.  However, to this point, I've always been too afraid of my lack of skills, and the thought always comes to me that if I make a significant error during the build, that error will cascade through all the models.  So, thus far, I've chosen to do one at a time.  I can see that you have nothing to worry about in that vein, though.  I'll be watching your progress...best of luck going forward! 🤗

Edited by Curt B