Who do we like for 1/48 USN MB Mk7 F-4J/S seats?

I'm thinking of a future F-4 project, and I've run out of Verlinden and True Details F-4 seats. Who is your preferred source for USN-style MB Mk7 F-4 seats? I'm not interested in buying an entire cockpit to get some. I'm trying to simplify my world. 😄

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Ben Brown changed the title to Who do we like for 1/48 USN MB Mk7 F-4J/S seats?

Ben,

Faced with the same decision recently, I chose the Eduard Brassin offerings. 

Initially, I was put off by the oversized fiberglass parachute pack. Fortunately it is molded separately making the re-shape process easier. The Ejection Site gives the precise dimensions for the pack. 

I also plan to replace the PE overhead pull rings which, to me, do not look realistic.

Practically everything else about these seats is exemplary however: tiny raised rivets enhance the look of the bucket and frame, the drogue gun and time release mechanism (the former separately molded) along the sides are extremely well done and the PE seatbelts allow the modeler to realistically place the shoulder harness in a looped, tensioned pose, something that quite a few aftermarket competitors got wrong with their loose hanging molded on harnesses.

Hope this helps,

Rich

LRQXplJ.jpg

w8GGy9l.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Thanks, Rich. I’ll look into those but I’m hoping to avoid photo etched seat belts. When I use them they end up looking less like seat belts and more like somebody threw some twisted scrap metal in the seat! 😱

Ben

Ben,

I see your point!

Eduard do offer Phantom seatbelts in their “superfabric “ range, but at added expense.

Right out of the box, I view the Eduard seats as lacking, even compared to some of the competition. I just think they offer the most potential . 

I’m going to have a go at them in the coming days so I’ll be sure to report back here on my successes and failures!

R.

I think the Aires seats are better proportioned than the Eduard ones. Aires seats come with separate PE belts, but the same seat is available in the Quickboost range with moulded-on resin harness. Drawback is that both seats then look exactly the same, they haven't made slight draping variations in the master...

J

The answer kind of depends on how pedantic you want to be. There are detail differences between USAF/USN seats. I too think Aires has the best shape and has accurate details on the main beam. The problem with Aires for a Navy subject is the lumbar pad is the USAF style. It has a slight cutout on the lower left where the the emergency o2 bottle was. Navy seats had this inside the survival kit evident by a small gauge In the seat cushion where the crew members left thigh would rest. The ZM kit seats have that. From about the mid to late 70s on,  both branches had the rocket pack initiator moved to the left side of the main beam. Aires has this nicely replicated. I got all worked up when the Brassin seats came out but was let down by the fat, squatty look. It seems they won’t go in a ZM cockpit either. 

Jeffrey at Hypersonic has USN seats that are great with the correct lumbar pad. USAF ones as well. I have a few sets and they are great. 

Unfortunately with the current airmail situation in Japan, Jeffrey has to wait until that situation improves to get his products out to his customers. 

Edited by jpk

I'm currently working on a ZM F-4D, I used the kit seats for the project but I opted for the Eduard "super-fabric" belts. Now maybe its just me, and that is entirely possible, but at first I was a little put off by the superfabric belts, that was until after I got them installed on the first seat and realized that there is a paper backing attached to said fabric. I was able to go back an remove the paper from some of the most visible areas. No where in the packaging or instructions does it mention removing the paper backing. For other F-4 builds I've used the Quickboost resin seats with the moulded harness, they look good and with careful painting and a wash they turn out pretty nice.