Jump to content

1/48 Tamiya Viper 86-0323


Recommended Posts

 

My second model in ten years, first was 87-0290, also a 1/48th Tamiya Viper that I finished a couple of months ago. I got a decent result, but am definitely a bit rusty, and it was a challenging build. This time around I wanted to get more practice in with resin, so I added the detail sets pictured below. I started with the loadout pictured below while waiting for the cockpit set to arrive. I’ll move onto the cockpit after painting and finishing these bits off over the next few days.

 

Happy for any tips or advice from others who built this kit as I go along!

 

50399587581_cc2b0be192_k.jpg50399744067_9fddcafe88_k.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that's a lot of aftermarket, can't wait to see it coming together!

 

Stupid question: if you are using a replacement nozzle and replacement decals, why do you start with the F-16N bowing wich is more expensive than the regular F-16C/CJ boxings? Are there other parts specific to this version?

 

Arnaud

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, quick update here. I was on a bit of hiatus while moving, but have finished painting and decaling the weapons followed by a quick wash. I definitely knocked off the tips of a couple of GBU 12s more times that I'd like to admit, and also had to strip and repaint one of the fuel tanks after a spill during the wash..glad that's done. Hoping to do some additional weathering later on before attaching these during final assembly. 

 

50598978582_b27a98d3fa_k.jpg

 

 

50598862021_985f3e0f66_k.jpg

 

50598978642_e69f41f452_k.jpg

 

50598861971_a36d1e99c1_k.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also almost done with the Aires cockpit. Unfortunately, I lost a few PE/resin details for the top of the seat, side wall, and one of the panels so I'm going to replace those bits before giving a final flat coat. I think I also shaved a bit too much off of the sides

of the forward housing bit the HUD sits on because it doesn't fit flush with the kit piece once installed, and will probably need a bit of filler and sanding to fill the small gap there. Getting this to fit was way more difficult than I thought, but I think it's only my second time using a resin cockpit set, so I'll take it as a learning experience. 

 

50598861796_c00dc57782_k.jpg

 

50598861751_80361c07bf_k.jpg

 

50598861681_adf5632c9c_k.jpg

 

Next up is fitting the Aires wheel bay into the kit and also integrating the seamless intake. Will check in with another update once the cockpit is finalized and the wheel bay is underway over the next couple of weeks. stay tuned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work so far. FYI, If your posing your jet on it's gear, you may want to droop those seaker heads, on the GBU's, downward. They only point straight in the airstream or, if they have all the safety devices still installed.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished painting the landing gear bits, and it was definitely a challenge attempting to paint all the various cables and hoses that are molded onto the Aires set. Brush painting isn't really my strong suit, and if I had it my way I would airbrush everything. But I do really like the copper wire they provided, definitely doing more of that in my next build. All in all, pleased with my first resin wheel bay attempt. On to the engine.

 

50715403986_05c4841d13_k.jpg

 

 

50715403841_6995fd5b01_k.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...