1/48 Tamiya Viper 86-0323

My second model in ten years, first was 87-0290, also a 1/48th Tamiya Viper that I finished a couple of months ago. I got a decent result, but am definitely a bit rusty, and it was a challenging build. This time around I wanted to get more practice in with resin, so I added the detail sets pictured below. I started with the loadout pictured below while waiting for the cockpit set to arrive. I’ll move onto the cockpit after painting and finishing these bits off over the next few days.

Happy for any tips or advice from others who built this kit as I go along!

50399587581_cc2b0be192_k.jpg50399744067_9fddcafe88_k.jpg

Wow that's a lot of aftermarket, can't wait to see it coming together!

Stupid question: if you are using a replacement nozzle and replacement decals, why do you start with the F-16N bowing wich is more expensive than the regular F-16C/CJ boxings? Are there other parts specific to this version?

Arnaud

• 1 month later...

Hi there, quick update here. I was on a bit of hiatus while moving, but have finished painting and decaling the weapons followed by a quick wash. I definitely knocked off the tips of a couple of GBU 12s more times that I'd like to admit, and also had to strip and repaint one of the fuel tanks after a spill during the wash..glad that's done. Hoping to do some additional weathering later on before attaching these during final assembly. 

50598978582_b27a98d3fa_k.jpg

50598862021_985f3e0f66_k.jpg

50598978642_e69f41f452_k.jpg

50598861971_a36d1e99c1_k.jpg

Also almost done with the Aires cockpit. Unfortunately, I lost a few PE/resin details for the top of the seat, side wall, and one of the panels so I'm going to replace those bits before giving a final flat coat. I think I also shaved a bit too much off of the sides

of the forward housing bit the HUD sits on because it doesn't fit flush with the kit piece once installed, and will probably need a bit of filler and sanding to fill the small gap there. Getting this to fit was way more difficult than I thought, but I think it's only my second time using a resin cockpit set, so I'll take it as a learning experience. 

50598861796_c00dc57782_k.jpg

50598861751_80361c07bf_k.jpg

50598861681_adf5632c9c_k.jpg

Next up is fitting the Aires wheel bay into the kit and also integrating the seamless intake. Will check in with another update once the cockpit is finalized and the wheel bay is underway over the next couple of weeks. stay tuned.

Nice work so far. FYI, If your posing your jet on it's gear, you may want to droop those seaker heads, on the GBU's, downward. They only point straight in the airstream or, if they have all the safety devices still installed.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Finished painting the landing gear bits, and it was definitely a challenge attempting to paint all the various cables and hoses that are molded onto the Aires set. Brush painting isn't really my strong suit, and if I had it my way I would airbrush everything. But I do really like the copper wire they provided, definitely doing more of that in my next build. All in all, pleased with my first resin wheel bay attempt. On to the engine.

50715403986_05c4841d13_k.jpg

50715403841_6995fd5b01_k.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks, Thadeus! The reason for lack of recent updates is there was a mishap where the model fell, and both the cockpit and landing gear became dislodged within the assembled fuselage, as well as the airbrakes and radome breaking off. After debating whether or not to quit the hobby forever for a day or two, I managed to salvage it. The cockpit and landing gear fit isn't quite perfect, but decided to give it my best and take some lessons learned along the way. Finally moving onto painting the body soon!

5 hours ago, Devinelounge said:

Thanks, Thadeus! The reason for lack of recent updates is there was a mishap where the model fell, and both the cockpit and landing gear became dislodged within the assembled fuselage, as well as the airbrakes and radome breaking off. After debating whether or not to quit the hobby forever for a day or two, I managed to salvage it. The cockpit and landing gear fit isn't quite perfect, but decided to give it my best and take some lessons learned along the way. Finally moving onto painting the body soon!

Oof- I’m sorry to hear that, b it glad you were able to continue.  Very nice progress to date!

Steve

• 1 year later...