Seafire Question

I was going to start my Airfix Seafire XVII in 48th scale.  Looking at it, and reading in the instructions that it was based on the Spitfire/Seafire XIV/XV the nose looks short.   Is the Airfix Seafire accurate or should I use the fuselage from a Spitfire XIV?  I don't think that I could make a Seafire XV because they all have the high backed spines.   I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks in advance

From what I have read, the length is fine, but the fuselage is slightly too deep, the rocker covers and exhaust are too low. The propeller is not accurate either, blades are too narrow? (spinner is fine I think).

On the wings the chord may be too broad and may be missing bulges over the u/c bay. If your chosen subject has 3 spoke wheels then it should have bulges over the wells as the 3 spoke wheels were bigger.

That said it does build up looking fine when finished. Only a real Spitfire/Seafire nut would probably notice these problems. I may just replace the prop on mine.

-----------------

If I remember correctly and am not mixing up my Vs, Is, the nose of the XVII is short in comparison to the spitfire XIV because the seafire XVII has the short griffon nose (similar to the spitfire XII) and the spitfire XIV has the long griffon nose.

Here is a link to the amazing drawings of the amazing Jumpei Temma:

http://soyuyo.main.jp/spit5b/spit5be-1.html#drawing

Gentlemen, thank you both for the information.  I was totally unaware there were long and short nose Griffon Spitfires!  The information provided is a very big assist to me in getting this project started.  Maybe a good subject for Airfix to tackle one day - a Seafire III.  Thank you again, your kind assistance is very much appreciated.

4 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Gentlemen, thank you both for the information.  I was totally unaware there were long and short nose Griffon Spitfires!  The information provided is a very big assist to me in getting this project started.  Maybe a good subject for Airfix to tackle one day - a Seafire III.  Thank you again, your kind assistance is very much appreciated.

Actually, they did a Spit Vc/Seafire III back in 2002, but it's just the old (1970s) Vb kit with some added conversion parts. I know we've got a Vc coming eventually from Eduard, but it's not clear whether or not they'll also do a Seafire III.