1/48 Hobby Boss F-111C to FB-111A

Does anybody know if the parts necessary to make an FB-111A out of a F-111C are in the box?  I originally got the kit to do an F-111B with triple plow II intakes, but lately have been in the mood to make a FB-111A.  I understand weapons loadouts will be different, but I am really interested in this version of the Aardvark...

I guess the C had the same Triple Plow 1 intakes as the FB.

The tail stinger on a FB however, has a smaller 8-shape with the fuel dump pipe running directly underneath. The C had the same as the D/E/F, with the dump pipe integrated in a bigger 8-shaped stinger. I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Then there's a circular thing just in front of the windscreens on the FBs, giving a slight hump between the radome and cockpit glazing. It looks similar as some AMP upgraded Es had later on, so I don't know if they had it always, or if this was also part of an upgrade. I do think they had it from the start though.

The wings are also equal with the bigger span.

Only the first FB-111A had the Triple Plow I intakes, the rest of the fleet had Triple Plow II intakes, the difference being the splitter plate and the length of the 'spike'.

The 'bump' on the nose was for an astro nav sensor I believe.

Here is a link to the FB-111A instructions and sprue shots, you could compare your kit to those.

From what I can see the FB-111A kit doesnt actually have the astro tracker hump on the nose in front of the cockpit. it does have the window but it doesnt seem to give the hump. The astro tracker was exactly what it sounds like, it was for celestial navigation, it put an optically flat window on the nose and of course there would be a characteristic hump around it to smooth it over.

The boat tail is different as is the fuel dump pipe, both of which are in both kits. photos on google to see what version to use.

Personally I say go for it, there is no reason at all why you cant make an FB out of a C kit as the FB-111A kit doesnt really make a 100% accurate model of the FB anyway. It needs the astro tracker, the FB pylons, Tokyo fuel tank, its flap veins rearranging and probably better fuel tanks.

Except for the first two FB-111As, the rest all used Triple Plow II inlets. I've added some observations about how to install the DMold intakes on the Hobby Boss kit to my article on that subject HERE. As far as the Astro tracker goes, my thoughts on that are HERE. Also, included in this missive are some suggestions on Alpha/Beta probes and pitot tubes. Also, Reskits wheels (4909 for Hobby Boss) and nozzles (RSU-48-0024 for Hobby Boss) are highly recommended.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:29 AM, mrvark said:

Except for the first two FB-111As, the rest all used Triple Plow II inlets. I've added some observations about how to install the DMold intakes on the Hobby Boss kit to my article on that subject HERE. As far as the Astro tracker goes, my thoughts on that are HERE. Also, included in this missive are some suggestions on Alpha/Beta probes and pitot tubes. Also, Reskits wheels (4909 for Hobby Boss) and nozzles (RSU-48-0024 for Hobby Boss) are highly recommended.

Thank you Mr Vark! I've been head scratching this one for years, to the point of (almost) trying to climb on the nose of the FB at the SAC museum!