Italeri #1442 1/72 B-52H Released

Italeri has reissued the old AMT #8623 1/72 B-52H kit with ALCMs with decals for B-52H 60-0057, 410th BW in SIOP scheme and marked with D-Day stripes as C-5D "Someplace Special" at RAF Greenham Common circa June, 1981.  See announcement on SCM here.  Italeri had previously released it as kit #1262 in modern Gunship Gray markings.

Edited by Dutch
add link.

Glad they're keeping this kit, mediocre though it may be, in circulation.

From promo images on Italeri's website they're providing options for three SIOP scheme birds as they participated in the 1981 RAF Bombing Competition - in addition to "Someplace Special," a 319th BW bird with the Yosemite Sam tail art, and a more subdued example from the 28th BW.

Worth noting that all three examples predate the ALCM entering service by at least a year, but that's the only armament option included in the kit.  While in the UK I don't believe they carried any pylons at all, but unless Italeri has added it the AMT tooling doesn't include the "plug" fairings seen on the mounting points when pylons aren't used.  Check references as to status of the Phase VI ECM fit also (60-0057 had the tail extension but no ALQ-153 bulges on the tail).

Cant say Im excited about its rerelease. Its interesting that Italeri think they can sell more of them considering it only recently had a rerelease in the Gulf war boxing though. I would have prefered another kit for a rerelease especially as Ive already got several of the H kits and the Three Guys Replicas sheet (TGR004 I think) for the D-Day anniversary scheme of "Someplace Special".

I think that scheme has been done by 3 different manufacturers over the years.

22 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Worth noting that all three examples predate the ALCM entering service by at least a year, but that's the only armament option included in the kit.  While in the UK I don't believe they carried any pylons at all, but unless Italeri has added it the AMT tooling doesn't include the "plug" fairings seen on the mounting points when pylons aren't used.  Check references as to status of the Phase VI ECM fit also (60-0057 had the tail extension but no ALQ-153 bulges on the tail).

The pylon plugs are available as a 3-D printed item. I have a pair for my ModelCollect G. I think a AMT/Italeri version and possibly a Monogram version are also available. 

Edited by Dutch
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

The pylon plugs are available as a 3-D printed item. I have a pair for my ModelCollect G. I think a AMT/Italeri version and possibly a Monogram version are also available. 

Thanks for the info. I'm approaching a point where it's safe to assume nearly anything is available via 3D printing, it's just down to how accurate/detailed the model is, and how much it costs to get it printed.

Strange that they would offer the parts for Monogram's kit, that's the only one I'm aware of that includes the plug fairings in the original kit! In fact you'd probably have a good chance of nabbing a spare set of those for a better price than printed versions, since the Monogram D has been around so long and most builders will opt for the "carpet bombing" configuration.

5 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Thanks for the info. I'm approaching a point where it's safe to assume nearly anything is available via 3D printing, it's just down to how accurate/detailed the model is, and how much it costs to get it printed.

Strange that they would offer the parts for Monogram's kit, that's the only one I'm aware of that includes the plug fairings in the original kit! In fact you'd probably have a good chance of nabbing a spare set of those for a better price than printed versions, since the Monogram D has been around so long and most builders will opt for the "carpet bombing" configuration.

I said "possibly" for the Monogram B-52D. 

2 hours ago, JakubJakepilot said:

Still no idea why they dont "mix" the parts and make non-ALCM G kit..... you only need to swap two front fuselage parts .... ok, not mentioning the new pylons/bombs etc ...

Even as far as the pylons, the AGM-28 pylons that were later adapted for conventional weapons were made for the AMT "early G" that Italeri also owns the molds for. All that's really missing for a Desert Storm era "bomb truck" is the MERs and a boatload of the iron bombs (Mk 82s or late version M117s). It'd be great to add the stub pylons and HSABs as options, but Italeri doesn't seem to have any interest in additions or improvements to the AMT kits aside from decal options.

6 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Have they ever rereleased the early G kit? I dont think they have, and I cant remember the KC-135A, EC-135C and RC-135V kits resurfacing either...

The decals options are much welcome I must admit... I think its time. 

Looks like only the 'Gulf War' version was re-released by Italeri. Is there much difference in the tooling between early and late?

Going by memory because I getting the boxes out is to much like hard work.

The early G has a different front fuselage section to the late model so its without the EVS turrets.

The early G has the AGM-28s with associated pylons

The late G has the AGM-86s and associated pylons + wing root straklets

Apart from that they were had common kit parts except I think the late version might have the rear fuselage extension but that might be H model specific. I cant quite remember.

From memory I think the ECM blister on the tail needs to be removed to carry the D-Day markings.

10 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Going by memory because I getting the boxes out is to much like hard work.

The early G has a different front fuselage section to the late model so its without the EVS turrets.

The early G has the AGM-28s with associated pylons

The late G has the AGM-86s and associated pylons + wing root straklets

Apart from that they were had common kit parts except I think the late version might have the rear fuselage extension but that might be H model specific. I cant quite remember.

From memory I think the ECM blister on the tail needs to be removed to carry the D-Day markings.

I'm not able to access the early G boxing at the moment but my recollection is that all three AMT kits include the 40" tail "plug," which is molded separately.  The plug was added on both G and H models as part of the Phase VI ECM upgrades, so you have to check references but generally any BUFF with EVS should have the tail extension.

IIRC, the "bulges" on the sides of the vertical tail (ALQ-153 if memory serves) were part of the same Phase VI program but often installed later than the other external changes. I believe these are on all the AMT kits, including the early G for which they are clearly inappropriate.  At the time of the "Someplace Special" nose art (1981 RAF Bomb Comp) 60-0057 did not have these installed. 

23 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

I'm not able to access the early G boxing at the moment but my recollection is that all three AMT kits include the 40" tail "plug," which is molded separately.  The plug was added on both G and H models as part of the Phase VI ECM upgrades, so you have to check references but generally any BUFF with EVS should have the tail extension.

IIRC, the "bulges" on the sides of the vertical tail (ALQ-153 if memory serves) were part of the same Phase VI program but often installed later than the other external changes. I believe these are on all the AMT kits, including the early G for which they are clearly inappropriate.  At the time of the "Someplace Special" nose art (1981 RAF Bomb Comp) 60-0057 did not have these installed. 

I thought so but im not 100% sure if it is in the Early G kit. 

I know, Ive built "Someplace Special" before. Ive got a couple of the TGR sheets with the instructions and Ive seen photos of the plane while it was at an airshow here in the UK, it doesnt have the ECM blister, which is why I said it. 

Edited by ElectroSoldier