Unusual (for me) Prop Subjects

Hey All,

This week, one of my wonderful friends and modeling buddies gave me (among other things) 2 Tamiya model kits that he'd received and felt he wasn't going to get around to building.  They are both Tamiya 1/48 scale, an Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik (61113), and a Heinkel He 219 A-7 Uhu (61057).  Now, knowing myself as I do, these are subjects that I would probably never have purchased, but after perusing the kits, the plastic, the instructions, and even dry fitting some of the IL-2 pieces together, I have to say that I would have been doing myself a HUGE disservice in NOT opening my eyes to the interesting possibilities of airplanes other than 109s, Spitfires, Mustangs, etc., etc., etc.  While I have many kits of those old 'standards' that I haven't yet built, and need to, I just thought I'd mention that I think it would be experience lost in not looking at less common/popular airplanes (or tanks, for that matter).  I tend to do some level of historical research along with the builds I do, so in not being interested in these kinds of kits, I'm not only missing out on building some very finely engineered and fitting models, I'd also have missed out on learning the contributions of these planes to WWII history.  So, I just thought it would be nice to thank my friend publicly, and also give all of you some food for thought about maybe expanding your horizons, and pick one or more kits 'out of the blue' so to speak, and give yourselves a chance to experience a different kind of airplane than you might otherwise.  You might surprise yourself, and learn a thing or two!  😊

If I hadn't already built an Accurate Miniatures Il-2 some years ago, I'd almost certainly have wanted to do the Tamiya kit, which is really beautifully done. As for the He 219, I've got one in the stash and will definitely do it sometime.

I've got to say, I'll bet a lot of people on this forum do a lot of subjects besides 109s, Spitfires, Mustangs, etc.

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

If I hadn't already built an Accurate Miniatures Il-2 some years ago, I'd almost certainly have wanted to do the Tamiya kit, which is really beautifully done. As for the He 219, I've got one in the stash and will definitely do it sometime.

I've got to say, I'll bet a lot of people on this forum do a lot of subjects besides 109s, Spitfires, Mustangs, etc.

I'm sure they do...  It's just that it SEEMS to me like those popular airplanes are the ones that get heard about most.  I guess all I really wanted to get out of my post was, that for those stuck in the popular 'rut', as, frankly, I am, it's not a bad idea to explore the off the beaten path subjects.