Canberra B2 10 sqn. Nicosia, Cyprus. Suez crisis 1956

In about this particular aircraft I find some sources that say that the suez crisis stripes were black and white and other black and yellow.

I know that the stripes "should be" black and yellow but apparently there wasn´t yellow paint stock in Cyprus.

Others says that at the start of the operations the stripes were b&w and later were repainted b&y.

Somebody has any other information or pics about that?

The first picture belongs to the Xtradecals instructions, the other source is On the targer profile. Nº7

Many thanks.

Regards.

Canberra Suez crisis.jpg

Untitled.jpg

My take on it is there possibly was a shortage (but not none) of yellow paint on Cyprus and it is possible WH667 was one of those that got white instead. I do know that to stretch out the stock of yellow paint, some aircraft were painted with cream instead of yellow. I don't think that there was no yellow paint on Cyprus, there were plenty of RAF and RN aircraft with it. As to which reference is correct it would be difficult to say. Possibly someone interpreting a black and white picture for the stripes. Modeldecal sheet 026 apparently has a 10 squadron B.2 option on it, this has the stripes as being white. Modeldecal sheets are usually pretty accurate. It's still available from Hannants.

---------------

MD026_2.jpg?t=