F-15E boarding ladder

The Monovell 1/48 F-15E comes with the built-in access ladder (really a rod with a few studs), but all the photos I've found, including planes around Desert Storm era, show exterior, hang-on ladders. I'm thinking I need to fill the gaping depression in the fuselage with the mounting section of the kit piece and either invest or not invest in an AM ladder (Plus Model). Can anybody confirm that the built-in ladder was generally not found/used on E's?

Thanks, Pip

Thanks jmel. I've already cut the ladder rod off and used the mounting bit plus some filing/sanding to make a more-or-less flat panel. Seems like a bit of an oversight that MR didn't provide a properly fitting plug for those wishing to have the ladder closed, but it's no big deal. Just wish I'd noticed it before I painted. Thankfully, I hadn't applied any decals to that area.

Both ladders are used every day. The internal ladder is used when you open and close the canopy. Very rarely does the air crew use the internal ladder because its not the safest thing for them to do with all their gear on. The fun part is getting on and off the left intake when the canopy is flat using the internal ladder.

Fun fact:  The internal ladder WAS referred in the T.O. as the "primary boarding ladder" and the external, the secondary.  We started to find internal ladders beginning to crack and the external became the primary.