Eduard Short Shots?

Hi All,

For those of you who have read some of my posts here on ArcAIr, you'll know that I have become a huge fan of Eduard kits.  However, I have begun working on the 1/48 Bf 109G-6/AS, and thus far, I have found a few pieces short shot (I believe that is the proper term for parts with less than complete molten plastic filling the mold).  Both the spinner, and one of the horizontal stabilizers, were both incompletely molded.  Not to a huge extent, and thank goodness I've discovered 3M Acryl - Red Glazing Putty, which, once dry, sands to a spectacular gleaming surface and feathers into the plastic like the filler was never there, but still annoying that I had to fix these problems.  Anyone else finding shot shots in any other Eduard kits, or was I just the lone ranger in getting the one kit with these issues? 

One other molding issue...the fuselage is molded such that the fuselage does not match appropriately to the front part of the windscreen/windshield.  The plastic isn't 'thick enough' to meet the clear part.  So, last night. I started the slow buildup of more 3M Putty to raise that area so it will match the clear part 'levelly' (is this a word?) when the windshield is installed.  

Edited by Curt B

Hi Curt,

I am sorry to hear that!  I just checked both my Eduard Bf 109G-6/AS kits and neither of the parts you mentioned were short shots in either kit 🤷‍♂️  Perhaps you got an unlucky pull from the mold.   

Some of their Mustang exhausts definitely are short shot and I have replaced all of my Mustang shrouded exhausts with resin replacements.  I also noted big sink marks on the exhausts of the new Spitfire Mk I.  Frustrating, but...still better than my recent experiences with Airfix 😂😇

Steve

Funny you should say that, Curt. I'm building the 1/48 Bf 109F 4 at the moment, and I too had a short shot  horizontal stabiliser . Luckily I managed to fill it with some Perfect Plastic Putty ( Wonderful stuff ! ) Haven't looked at the windscreen yet, so hopefully that will be OK.

Steve, you're right, and I know that many other model makers do far worse in their molding qualify.  It's just that I was surprised to see this in a new mold Eduard kit.

Hooter, I hope you don't have any further problems.  Just to be clear, though, it wasn't the clear windscreen part that had the problem.  It was the fuselage plastic itself, the area where the fuselage meets that clear plastic windscreen part which was not molded correctly.  Without correction, if you glued the clear part in place, there would have been a very signifcant 'step down' from the edge of the windscreen part to where the fuselage plastic would start.  That is, rather than a smooth, even transition from the clear part to the gray plastic, the fuselage part wasn't molded 'high' enough for a 'step-less' transition from the clear to the gray plastic.  I wouldn't have minded, at as much, if there had been just a small gap between the 2 parts, but in this case, without fixing, the spot where those 2 parts would have come together would have been a gap and a wide difference in 'height'.  I think I've got it sorted out now, but it took some significant effort!!

5 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Steve, you're right, and I know that many other model makers do far worse in their molding qualify.  It's just that I was surprised to see this in a new mold Eduard kit.

Hooter, I hope you don't have any further problems.  Just to be clear, though, it wasn't the clear windscreen part that had the problem.  It was the fuselage plastic itself, the area where the fuselage meets that clear plastic windscreen part which was not molded correctly.  Without correction, if you glued the clear part in place, there would have been a very signifcant 'step down' from the edge of the windscreen part to where the fuselage plastic would start.  That is, rather than a smooth, even transition from the clear part to the gray plastic, the fuselage part wasn't molded 'high' enough for a 'step-less' transition from the clear to the gray plastic.  I wouldn't have minded, at as much, if there had been just a small gap between the 2 parts, but in this case, without fixing, the spot where those 2 parts would have come together would have been a gap and a wide difference in 'height'.  I think I've got it sorted out now, but it took some significant effort!!

I'll let you know when I get to that stage, but it looks OK at the moment. Guess I'll find out when I get the fuselage together ! 

15 minutes ago, hooter said:

I'll let you know when I get to that stage, but it looks OK at the moment. Guess I'll find out when I get the fuselage together ! 

Hoping you don't have the same issue...

My apologies for being late...

I have dealt with Eduard's customer service before and the response was excellent! It wasn't dealing with short-shot parts, but if you send them an email explaining the problem I'm sure that they would be more than happy to help you out. Granted, it was before the whole COVID thing, but their shipping was pretty fast and they kept it up to date.

Eduard has been the best company that I've dealt with as far as replacement parts goes. 

On 10/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, Chriss7607 said:

My apologies for being late...

I have dealt with Eduard's customer service before and the response was excellent! It wasn't dealing with short-shot parts, but if you send them an email explaining the problem I'm sure that they would be more than happy to help you out. Granted, it was before the whole COVID thing, but their shipping was pretty fast and they kept it up to date.

Eduard has been the best company that I've dealt with as far as replacement parts goes. 

I can second this!  Petra is awesome at getting out replacement parts!

Steve

On 10/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I can second this!  Petra is awesome at getting out replacement parts!

Steve

Well, as luck would have it...it turns out I'm going to need Eduard's replacement part assistance.  It just so happened that a short while ago, a clear part from my Eduard 1/48 Bf109G-6/AS, the clear 'bulkhead' that glues inside the main canopy, flew off into never-never land, and I've given up after 45 minutes of intense searching.  I've already sent my support request to Eduard, and we'll get to see how well they do.  After the thousands of dollars I've spent on their kits and PE, I hope I get support that is equivalent to their very nice model kits!! 😊

Edited by Curt B
2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Well, as luck would have it...it turns out I'm going to need Eduard's replacement part assistance.  It just so happened that a short while ago, a clear part from my Eduard 1/48 Bf109G-6/AS, the clear 'bulkhead' that glues inside the main canopy, flew off into never-never land, and I've given up after 45 minutes of intense searching.  I've already sent my support request to Eduard, and we'll get to see how well they do.  After the thousands of dollars I've spent on their kits and PE, I hope I get support that is equivalent to their very nice model kits!! 😊

I’m right there with you and I’m $ure you will her great support! 

I haven't placed an overseas order since the whole COVID thing started so I don't know whether it will be as fast as mine but I'm sure that they will do everything to help you. It's funny- I've only dealt with customer service from two model companies: Revell (USA, not Germany) and Eduard. They were complete opposites. Eduard was very friendly, prompt in communication, happy to help, and provided follow up. Revell... well, let's just say not so much.

Frankly, I'm hoping Eduard's CSU (Customer Service Unit) is as good as the rest of the company (in my opinion, of course).  Thanks for your notes of positive thinking, gentlemen.  As it happens, I am going to continue with my /AS build, and finish it as far as it goes, and leave the last little bit for when, hopefully, the parts arrive.  If I HAVE to, and since I just got another /AS kit today, I could rob from that, and finish this build, then wait for the response, as I think ti's gonna be awhile until I get to the second one of this variant.  As much I love the other scheme besides the all-black version...