Model Mater Discontinued

I've been using Model Master paints for years as my primary paint when it comes to modern U.S aircraft and some modern RAF aircraft. I just found out yesterday that the whole line is being discontinued! This presents a big problem, which paint brand do I choose now? Any suggestions as to which brand out there is the best in terms of accuracy when it comes to modern U.S. and RAF paint colors? I've used Gunze in the past especially for WW2 German and Japanese aircraft, they work great, just never used to their FS colors for any major projects. I've also used Hataka for the Viggen (turned out great) and their WW2 Russian colors are nice as well, not sure about their colors for modern U.S. I've also heard good things and bad about MRP. Some really like them, others have issues with color accuracy, the ghost greys are too purple one person said... HELP! There's too many options!!!

15 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Justin, Do you primarily use enamels or acrylics?  That may make a difference. I am primarily a MM enamel guy myself, so will be searching for a new paint source also. K/r, Dutch

For MM I use enamels, which I prefer, I also like using Lacquer as I find it sprays nicely. In all seriousness, I don’t mind acrylics if I thin them out properly. I think the biggest concern is how different my older finished models with MM will look compared to the ones I build with my new paint. First world problems I know. I suppose I can chalk it up to ‘weathering’

13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I'm a big fan of Colorcoates.   Fantastic stuff, sprays very well, tough finish and they are meticulously researched.    They just got a distributor here in the US.

Great to hear! I haven’t used them in many years 

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'm a big fan of Colorcoates.   Fantastic stuff, sprays very well, tough finish and they are meticulously researched.    They just got a distributor here in the US.

Who is their distributor?

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

I ve used Xtracolor for 20+ years and have loved the way it sprays, is durable and has a wide range. Beware of two things though. Some of the grays yellow (cellulose?) and I ‘ve noticed some batches are way off the mark. In particular, the ghost grays as of late are not even close, RLM 74 and 75 rather dark and muddy and RAF Dark Green looks brownish. I bought a whole load of Mr Color and like it but it’s the whole flat thing that bugs me. For now I’ll be using both  Xtracolor from Kitlinx and Mr color. I always thought MM was good stuff albeit to grainy. Their Gloss Gull Gray, ADC Gray, Gloss  Dark Sea Blue and Engine Gray were/are the best thing since sliced bread to me. I just don’t like  water based acrylic for any reason. Better buy all the enamels you can before the “Green New Deal” kicks in!

I am an exclusive enamel user, predominately Xtracolor but Sovereign Colourcoats are taking over as their range expands and is refined, both airbrush beautifully, but you can't beat the decal ready gloss finish of Xtracolor though the stin finish of Colourcoats is pretty good.

I also use Humbrol and MM when I cannot find a colour in the Xtracolor or Colorcoats range so I will be sad to see MM paints disappearing, luckily I always keep a good stock of paints in so I will be fine for years to come.

Cheers

Dennis

16 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

I've pretty much switched over to Mr. Color lacquers. They go on great and dry almost immediately, cure in an hour or so (I think). I get them from Sprue Bros.

Same here. I love Xtracolor, but it got too hard to get in the US. 

Ben

7 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Everything Model Master is gone. Metalizers were some of the first to go.

I was told at my LHS they will still make the old square bottles for “crafters”, but everything else is discontinued.

5 hours ago, okthree said:

I was told at my LHS they will still make the old square bottles for “crafters”, but everything else is discontinued.

Right, any thing that is just "Testors" is still around, both enamel and acrylic.  Hopefully, as has been suggested, they will expand those lines - even a dozen colors matching the most common FS colors would be helpful.

That's a bummer about the Metalizers. I'm going to have to find a new way to do metallics. I worry that they'd do those dozen FS colors in the tiny 1/4oz. bottles, and charge the Model Master price.  This is one reason I've switched to Tamiya paints almost exclusively. They're just cheaper. If anything, I want Testors to do certain colors in 1oz or 2oz bottles. I know I go through enough flat black, white, Gunship Gray, and Light Ghost Gray to warrant buying it in bulk.

I've also used MM paints forever, and have loaded up on some.  I also love Colourcoats, and have several colors, but they are sometimes hard to come by in the U.S.  My new backup supplier has become True North Paints, and they are great replacements for MM -- even using the same size glass bottles, which speeds up the airbrushing process...

True North Paints

Ed