Model Mater Discontinued

I switched from MM enamels to MRP lacquers - best thing I did in my scale model "career". As for the inaccuracy claims - each company has rotten eggs in their baskets and it would seem, the paint saga can often be quite subjective. I really like them. Hell no, I LOVE them.

33 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

I switched from MM enamels to MRP lacquers - best thing I did in my scale model "career". As for the inaccuracy claims - each company has rotten eggs in their baskets and it would seem, the paint saga can often be quite subjective. I really like them. Hell no, I LOVE them.

Thanks! I think I’m going to try MRP for my modern US jets. I’ll let you all know what I think!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

I've also used MM paints forever, and have loaded up on some.  I also love Colourcoats, and have several colors, but they are sometimes hard to come by in the U.S.  My new backup supplier has become True North Paints, and they are great replacements for MM -- even using the same size glass bottles, which speeds up the airbrushing process...

True North Paints

Ed

They will have to add a bunch more Ex-ModelMaster colors before I switch to them. I don't see any RAF PRU Blue, Jet Exhaust, Steel, Interior Bronze Green. And those are just a few I use a lot. At least they have FS36622, for Vietnam era A/C undersides. I just hope their paints aren't the colors of those square "paint patches". 

(EDIT) Looking at the post below, with the color patches, I AM NOT going to waste my money on "True" North paints! :bandhead2:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

My new backup supplier has become True North Paints, and they are great replacements for MM 

I got three bottles of the most popular colors from True North to try out:  Light Gull Grey, Light Ghost Grey, and Dark Ghost Grey.  I thinned each color with True North enamel thinner and airbrushed it over a piece of white styrene that has been primed with True North gray primer.  

The good:  paint has fine pigments, sprays beautifully, and has a smooth finish.  Flat Light Gull Grey is a great match to Federal Standards 595c color chip:

TruNorth.png

The bad:  Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey are not even close to the 595c color chips, with Light Ghost Grey being more of a light blue:

TrueNorth.png

Dark Ghost Grey is way too dark and too purple:

TrueNorth.png

Will try Colourcoats next.

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

I got three bottles of the most popular colors from True North to try out:  Light Gull Grey, Light Ghost Grey, and Dark Ghost Grey.  I thinned each color with True North enamel thinner and airbrushed it over a piece of white styrene that has been primed with True North gray primer.  

The good:  paint has fine pigments, sprays beautifully, and has a smooth finish.  Flat Light Gull Grey is a great match to Federal Standards 595c color chip:

TruNorth.png

The bad:  Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey are not even close to the 595c color chips, with Light Ghost Grey being more of a light blue:

TrueNorth.png

TrueNorth.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Hobby Town USA in Fayetteville, NC this past weekend and all their MM paints were "Buy 1 get 2 Free", while a lot of the stock was already picked thru I was able to pickup some colors including some of the metallizer paints.  Got 12 bottles of paint for the price of 4.   The owner of that shop says, they are getting rid of the remaining stock since they have been discontinued.  I'm not sure if all the Hobby Towns are doing this, since most are all individually owned.  

On 11/12/2020 at 1:55 AM, RichardL said:

TruNorth.png

TrueNorth.png

TrueNorth.png

Now those colour matches, if you can call it that are unforgivable. 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:32 AM, eraucubsfan said:

I was in the Hobby Town USA in Fayetteville, NC this past weekend and all their MM paints were "Buy 1 get 2 Free", while a lot of the stock was already picked thru I was able to pickup some colors including some of the metallizer paints.  Got 12 bottles of paint for the price of 4.   The owner of that shop says, they are getting rid of the remaining stock since they have been discontinued.  I'm not sure if all the Hobby Towns are doing this, since most are all individually owned.  

The question is what they're going to replace MM with? 

4 minutes ago, goondman said:

Never used these, but saw them on forums not too long ago

https://www.truenorthpaints.com/paintstore?category=Series+2-+WWII

Did you see the failed color match test, 7 posts up?

With a 66% failure rate, I don't plan to waste my money on them.

Just my (hard earned) 2¢.

Not sure about WWII colors, but True North color match is not great for modern aircraft.  I just tested Stealth Camouflage Gray FS 36170 (used on F-35), and it also didn't match, just like Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey.  Plus, True North Camouflage Grey is difficult to airbrush for some reason.

Edited by RichardL
2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

No, I didnt 😞 but those obviously are not good number