1/48 Tamiya F-16C Aggressor

Non build update:

My job as an airline pilot was made redundent from the loss of the entire airline Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong. While I take care of the many things to do, including moving, this build will be at a snail sleep speed.   

I will need to figure out a way to safely move this unfinished f-16 to a new home in the meantime. 

Konbini

10 hours ago, konbini said:

Non build update:

My job as an airline pilot was made redundent from the loss of the entire airline Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong. While I take care of the many things to do, including moving, this build will be at a snail sleep speed.   

I will need to figure out a way to safely move this unfinished f-16 to a new home in the meantime. 

Konbini

Ugh.  I am very sorry to hear that.  As a fellow airline pilot, I can relate to how this pandemic has destroyed our industry.  Good luck on the move and thanks for sharing this incredible build with us!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
8 hours ago, konbini said:

Non build update:

My job as an airline pilot was made redundent from the loss of the entire airline Cathay Dragon in Hong Kong.

I don't know if the following is an old Asian adage or, Western but it goes like this, "when one door closes, another one opens". So, don't worry about the job, you will find another one.

👍

18 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you find a new job soon. Any leads within and without the airline industry?

Best,

Arnaud

Thanke Arnaud,

Jobs are few and in between. I have plenty of hours but not quite enough command time for a direct entry command position. It looks like for the time being it is a sit and wait game while I find a non flying job. I hear guys in many western countries have turned to even Costco for a register position. Worst times but rock bottom means only way is up. 

12 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Ugh.  I am very sorry to hear that.  As a fellow airline pilot, I can relate to how this pandemic has destroyed our industry.  Good luck on the move and thanks for sharing this incredible build with us!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

After I move and settle down in a cheaper accomodation I do hope to make some progress on this build. The hardest paint job is over anyway.   It's comforting to have brothers in support during such times. Things will pick up for sure. 

9 hours ago, SERNAK said:

I don't know if the following is an old Asian adage or, Western but it goes like this, "when one door closes, another one opens". So, don't worry about the job, you will find another one.

👍

Thanks Sernak for the kind words,

There will always be a demand for air travel. When this messup and trainwreck of a pandemic is over I'm sure there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

On 10/25/2020 at 4:42 AM, konbini said:

Thanks Sernak for the kind words,

There will always be a demand for air travel. When this messup and trainwreck of a pandemic is over I'm sure there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Yeap, Alaska is one example.

Love the scenery, small cargo and passengers floatplanes, but, I don't know about the women that is, how beautiful (or not) they are!:dontknow:

• 3 months later...

Quick update. I have now settled down, sort of, in my new smaller apartment. I cracked open the cardboard box holding my aggressor, and thank goodness it's still intact. The first thing I did was to clear coat the main parts that received the masked camo painting back in October. I figured to stay safe and spray the horizontal stabs first with my mr color rattlecan. It was the right call.

Initially, it seemed like the Mr Color coat didnt quite like to stay in an even coverage. I remedied by spraying slower to get a heavier coverage (for the horizontal stab). This is where the Vallejo reacted with the Mr Color clear, cracking up the Vallejo layer and orange peeling like there is no tomorrow. After the initial shock, I waited for the stabs to completely dry, then sanded down the stabs enough so its smooth, and then proceeded to touch up bleed through areas by brush. 

I decided to dry a different method. I sprayed on a light layer of Mr color premium (acrylic based) clear, then after it dried, the original mr color lacquer, in light layers too. This worked fine, and I finished the rest of the fuselage with this technique. For those wanting to directly spray over vallejo acrylics with Mr color clear, I suggest a middle layer of a known trusted clear (like Tamiya), then light coats of the Mr. Color clear. Had I sprayed the fuselage in the initial manner I would have been in a very poor situation to recover from.

Happy 2021 my friends, I hope this year brings improvements to the madness that defined 2020. 

Konbini

Edited by konbini
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys(and girls),

Finally a proper update. 

First is a before and after of the painting debacle.  I think the end result is acceptable. 
FyoXqvB.jpg

tX55PsG.jpg

Next I finished the canopy. This is one area I tend to neglect and Im happy I took care of it now. 

KVUogxx.jpg

PbpPNLe.jpg

tGaROfD.jpg

Finally I started on the things under the airplane. I added some 0.5mm rods to the acmi pod as per reference photos. 

bD146Q3.jpg

zpCTcl8.jpg

Enjoy!

Konbini

On 10/9/2020 at 12:48 AM, konbini said:

9Di3y2P.jpg

More to come. Again questions queries suggestions very much welcome. Always learning.

Konbini

Amazing work. This is totally not on you, but I’ve seen this cockpit many times and the throttle grip doesn’t come out that far from the sidewall of the jet. In fact it rubs up against it and there’s a measurement on a Teflon bumper that has to be checked frequently. The throttle quadrant assembly (which is a complete bad girl to change, hardest part on the jet IMO) comes more up like an L. I guess it’s just easier for the model companies to make it this way.

D4003CDE-BBDC-4A5D-A0A9-0462166A5F36.jpeg

On 2/15/2021 at 2:27 AM, Mr.Happy said:

Konbini,

Very impressive work and amazing airbrushing on that camouflage livery.

I’m intrigued and hope to see more pictures when possible.

Stay safe,

Mr. Happy 

Many thanks Mr. Happy. Of course there is more on the way. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:38 AM, Thadeus said:

Looking very nice there. It's going to be a real eye catcher when complete.

In a sea of grey airplanes it is indeed sometimes nice to have something interesting. 

12 hours ago, Matthew83128 said:

Amazing work. This is totally not on you, but I’ve seen this cockpit many times and the throttle grip doesn’t come out that far from the sidewall of the jet. In fact it rubs up against it and there’s a measurement on a Teflon bumper that has to be checked frequently. The throttle quadrant assembly (which is a complete bad girl to change, hardest part on the jet IMO) comes more up like an L. I guess it’s just easier for the model companies to make it this way.

D4003CDE-BBDC-4A5D-A0A9-0462166A5F36.jpeg

Thanks for the reference! The best I could do for now is to nudge/bend the throttle arm up a bit so it is incanted (not vertical) and out of the way of the seat.  

Mini update. 

I finished the aim-120s. The little fins keep breaking off so note to self for extra careful boxing if I need to move house again. 

i also started the decaling process too. I am using Bullseye Model’s set which has the ghost scheme. First I misted on mr color’s rattlecan gloss in very light layers (to prevent the orange peeling fiasco I had before) and put down my first enamel wash layer. I used primarily mig’s dark sea blue wash, which is like a blue tinted dirty black color. I think it is a good start.   After wiping off the excess I started decaling. I am about 70% complete with the top side as I’m writing this post.  

konbini

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 10:23 AM, Janissary said:

Very neat. 

Many thanks! 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:45 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Impressive to say the least.

Cheers

AFM

Very kind words 🙇🏻‍♂️  Thanks!

On 3/4/2021 at 12:17 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Very nice Konbini.

Steve

Thanks so much!

On 3/4/2021 at 6:49 AM, K5054NZ said:

Gorgeous work! I'm sorry to say I missed this one, now I want to build an F-16. Inspirational!

Thanks!  There are so many fabulous builds here. We learn from each other.    I

Mini update:

After a two-clear coat with enamel weathering I decided to take a deep breath, and matte coat it. For me this is a scary stage because if anything goes wrong, it can get ugly.   So far it's holding up. 

For the gear bay doors, I used Eduard's PE parts as they're very thin. Because of etched lines on the parts itself the resulting curve on the PE parts had ridges which could not be removed by bending technique alone. I got around this by spraying the back (outside facing) side with Mr. Surfacer, sanding it smooth, then repeating until I had built a smooth layer. Afterwards I painted & weathered them. 

I must admit I neglected the wheels so I'm working on those now. Im also waiting for the aim-9m from Reskit (the new release).   Otherwise its home stretch time. 

Enjoy!

8fdMHzb.jpg

3EshEmU.jpg

wBmrNbl.jpg

Konbini

Edited by konbini

On 3/3/2021 at 12:02 AM, Tato said:

Looking awesome! Really like what you are doing here!

Tato

Thanks! Glad you like it. 🙇🏻‍♂️

Edited by konbini