Eduard Fw190 D-9 Late

Hi All,

Attached are some pictures of my just completed 1/48 Eduard Fw190 D-9 Late.  I did this one in a color scheme based on written records, not photos, so there was some artistic license employed here, for an aircraft of 9. Staffel KG(J) 27, April 1945, from the Eduard instructions.  I really liked the contrasting white and green checks on the aft part of the fuselage, which is why I chose this scheme.  I know that I forgot to finish the wingtip navigation lights, so I don't need any comments on that missed detail, but any and all other comments would be hugely appreciated.

By the way, I had almost trashed this build twice, the first time due to a rotten paint job on the wings, and the second due to messing up the decals on the underside of the wings, but in both cases, my wife convinced me to hold onto the model, set it aside, and look at it again at some later time, once my passion, or rather, anger, at myself for having messed up the model, had passed.  This I did in both cases, and this served to salvage this airplane.  I'm still finding, despite the challenges posed by doing the best possible airbrushing of various paints, brands/types/etc., the two most difficult aspects of building airplanes remains 1) decals, and 2) antennas/wires/arials.  If I could nail those two areas, It would go a long way to easing the stress that builds inside me as I near the end of a model's construction.

It is not the best example of my work, but it is at least passable, and certainly better than it would been at the bottom of a trash bag somewhere.  I'm still interested in any comments anyone may have! 😊

50441303873_80a38337c4_b.jpg

50441998471_366b9cf018_b.jpg

50442176492_2ddc18c9e2_b.jpg

50441997871_7799b833bf_b.jpg

50442396306_bd2ae145cf_b.jpg

50442396886_1dd6a65226_b.jpg

Edited by Curt B
Added photos, fixed grammar

Hey guys...thanks so very much!  I'm glad she kept after me, too!  I always keep hoping I can build better models, but this one turned out better than I had a right to hope for.  Again, I appreciate the kind words, gents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Nice job Curt. I love those late war Luftwaffe camo schemes and yours looks really good!   

Steve

Thanks., Steve, really too kind!!  As I explained, I have my wife to thank for me finishing this one...which almost got binned a bunch of times.  I stopped at least 3 or 4 times, disgusted with the work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, SERNAK said:

Did you use Model Master's matt enamel varnish? This is the impression that I get. (BTW  :thumbsup:)

Wow, one of my ancient threads...sorry I'd not seen your question until now.  In fact, I used the AK Interactive water based Ultra Matte Varnish, my absolute go-to flat finish.  Great stuff, and I've used it for years, now.

Edited by Curt B

Hi Curt,

When I looked at the photos they gave me the impression that you had used the MM flat varnish. It gives a very flat finish and for some paint schemes is appropriate but, for others not so much.

Never used the AK Interactive varnish. Will give it a try.