A-10 "The Early Years"?

The prototype/early development series "The Early Years" has done extemely well and I am grateful for your interest in these. I was going to wrap up this series after I just covered F-14/15/16/18 and perhaps the Phantom, but now I am wondering if I should include a dedicated sheet for the A-10 as well. There are a few interesting early service markings, and the first prototypes are interesting with their late 1960's style large USAF markings, high-vis stencilling, the 20mm M61 gun and early tails. 

What do you think? Let me know if you think I should be doing one, or not.

Absolutely yes! Although designed for a very different mission the A-10 fits in very well with the F-14/15/16/18 in terms of a programme launched in the late 60's with first flights in the early 70's. The A-10 timescales and technology fits in well with the other types that you have covered under the "The Early Years" label. The first prototypes wore very distinctive markings as you describe however their markings did change according to what tests they were being used for, including some high-vis orange. The following six DT&E aircraft all wore different colour schemes which was intended to help select the most suitable scheme for operational service. Even in service there were some variations to start with before things settled down; this included an asymmetric gray scheme only used on the first seventeen aircraft (355th TTW). Additionally, would you consider the 'JAWS' schemes if you can find room? Coincidentally I back-ordered the F-14 sheet from Hannants today, am a real fan of the "The Early Years" 👍

Michael

Count me in for 1/72. I purchased the Matchbox kit with specific intention of doing the prototype, would be great to have better/more complete markings for that scheme.  I still have the old Microscale sheet for some of the JAWS and MASK schemes, but would love to see these done to modern print quality standards.

@Dana Bell published a fantastic series of reference articles on the JAWS schemes on Hyperscale:

JAWS Schemes Part 1

JAWS Schemes Part 2

JAWS Schemes Part 3

OK, folks - I will go ahead and do this. first prototype with 20mm M61, JAWS aircraft (not looking forward to drawing those painting instructions), early in-service jets with gray stencilling etc. Coming sometime in early 2021, some time later than the major projects like P-3 and B-52s that are taking up so much of my design time now.

• 2 months later...

Yes to this, I've got several Tamiya kits with these early versions in mind! 

4 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Does the 81st TFW count as the early years?

The 354th TFW at Myrtle Beach sure would as the first operational A-10 wing if there's room on the sheet. I saw them a lot as a kid and we all believed that a pier fire was caused by one of the low flying heavily armored aircraft hitting it (and of course flying back to base).

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:10 PM, KursadA said:

OK, folks - I will go ahead and do this. first prototype with 20mm M61, JAWS aircraft (not looking forward to drawing those painting instructions), early in-service jets with gray stencilling etc. Coming sometime in early 2021, some time later than the major projects like P-3 and B-52s that are taking up so much of my design time now.

It is early 2021, isn´t it? 😉

HAJO

• 1 month later...