J79 engine update.  

Still a work in progress but most of the base colors are down.  I think.  I may do some more heat staining.   The base colors are Alclad Aluminum, Magnesium, Gold Titanium, Jet Exhaust, Tamiya Burnt Iron and Chrome Silver.  

kxQWc6F.jpg

After a few more details were painted up...

5bGE2kT.jpg

And the other side...

qLHbnVC.jpg

Anyways, the next steps are picking out the rest of the various fuel and oil lines with their appropriate colors.

- Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 10/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

Very nice! I'm really looking forward to the "G" model coming out after seeing this come together.

Me too!

3 hours ago, bazooka said:

WOW!  Great job!

Thank you 😊 

55 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I'd LOVE a WEASEL version !!

Steve

It’s coming - I believe next year was the plan!

The J79 engines are done.  Well, at least the one that got the extra TLC 😉.  Now, I have to finish the display stand...take a few more pics, and bury this beauty in the belly of the beast!   But, for the super-detailers out there, ZM has provided an excellent starting point out of the box and I hope I’ve done it some justice.   
gf0cUQh.jpg

psM8zSs.jpg

SIsUHuW.jpg

ABvxbXm.jpg

Td9TdQ1.jpg

NIbxHpC.jpg

Steve

15 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Beautiful metal paint job, thanks for sharing I can't wait for mine to arrive 😉

Arnaud

Thanks for the kind words Arnaud!  You will not be disappointed with this kit.   

Here are the final shots of the engine with the included display stand that is cleverly part of the sprue runners!

YB0TL7G.jpg

ZTGvX93.jpg

bDsGSC3.jpg

bAqhyHy.jpg

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Update 10/23 

“Seamless” intakes...putty, sand, repeat, putty, sand, repeat 😂

XOLmPLM.mp4

Ok, I’ll admit- there are some flaws behind the curve.  Since you can’t see them from the front, I didn’t bother sanding them to perfection.   Paint is square bottle white Tamiya surface primer thinned with AK lacquer thinner.   I brushed on a layer of future after I took this video to get a glossy surface.  That only took a week 😂🤪

I also assembled and painted the gear bays, which are nicely detailed.   

YHl9rK1.jpg

qHklg44.jpg

9pSLyGA.jpg

ZVn3V7S.jpg

Then it was time to bring the top and bottom fuselage halves together.  The engines mount into a bulkhead piece which provides some nice internal strength.   The intake lip and engine exhausts have tabs that lock into the fuselage bottom as well to aid alignment.  

2ExEkfY.jpg

Goodbye engines 👋🏻 

HBU9XHq.jpg

2OmD4az.jpg

The fit is excellent BTW.  Thanks for taking a look.  

Onwards!

Steve

Interesting that the bulkhead reinforcement piece is a new inclusion to their kits. All the other ZM Phantoms don't have it. The instructions just say to be careful with the joint between the engines and the intakes.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, aircommando130 said:

That's awesome! I can almost smell the JP-4 turning into the "sound of freedom"

Cheers...Ron

Thanks Ron!  The F-4 is a beast!  I was lucky to get a ride in the backseat if an RF-4C at Tyndall during my time on the USAF.  I was impressed with the raw power of the darn thing!  Definitely a different feel than the refined F-15E experience 😂

3 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Great work so far, thanks for posting. Is that the kit cockpit with just AM belts?

Yes sir, that’s it...just AM belts.  The included decals go down very well over the raised detail 👍🏻

And thank you for the compliment!

2 hours ago, joeltc said:

Interesting that the bulkhead reinforcement piece is a new inclusion to their kits. All the other ZM Phantoms don't have it. The instructions just say to be careful with the joint between the engines and the intakes.

Interesting 🤔 

I didn’t know that.  The fit of everything is very straightforward.  I would imagine that without the bulkhead things might be a bit fiddly!

This kit is really great and I am very much enjoying it!  

HBQ4bUa.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 10/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Update 10/23 

“Seamless” intakes...putty, sand, repeat, putty, sand, repeat 😂

XOLmPLM.mp4

Ok, I’ll admit- there are some flaws behind the curve.  Since you can’t see them from the front, I didn’t bother sanding them to perfection.   Paint is square bottle white Tamiya surface primer thinned with AK lacquer thinner.   I brushed on a layer of future after I took this video to get a glossy surface.  That only took a week 😂🤪

I also assembled and painted the gear bays, which are nicely detailed.   

Then it was time to bring the top and bottom fuselage halves together.  The engines mount into a bulkhead piece which provides some nice internal strength.   The intake lip and engine exhausts have tabs that lock into the fuselage bottom as well to aid alignment.  

Goodbye engines 👋🏻 

The fit is excellent BTW.  Thanks for taking a look.  

Onwards!

Steve

Steve are you priming anything prior to paint? 

11 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Steve are you priming anything prior to paint? 

I kinda did a “two-in-one” process.  I used Tamiya square bottle white surface primer as my white finish.  So, yes, there was some priming and sanding, but the final finish is still the white primer (ok, with future on top).   That video above is Tamiya white primer.   

Things are still progressing well in the build.  I’m just working on refining the finish on the various fuselage joints (they are close to perfect between the two pancakes, but not quite).  

Aft fuselage join after CA and putty. 
VeiID10.jpg

Forward fuselage join

or9vIuy.jpg

dyMHP6L.jpg

The wing to fuselage fit is perfect!

alh2sXX.jpg

The wing leading edges are great too!

fwGKeGN.jpg

The intakes and splitter plates have several ejector pin marks that need to be dealt with.  
8yKkVne.jpg

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
3 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

I kinda did a “two-in-one” process.  I used Tamiya square bottle white surface primer as my white finish.  So, yes, there was some priming and sanding, but the final finish is still the white primer (ok, with future on top).   That video above is Tamiya white primer.   

I assumed as much, what paint are you planning on using for the finish?

53 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I assumed as much, what paint are you planning on using for the finish?

Mr Color lacquer over Mr Color 1500 surface primer.  The plastic has a bit of a pebbly texture, so I might do a light sanding with 1k grit before the final coat.   

I haven’t built a phantom as an adult modeler and it definitely has some unique painting considerations- namely, you have to paint the camo behind the splitters before joining them.  I’ll be doing that soon- maybe tomorrow.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
1 minute ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Looking forward to that. I am going to be brave and use MMP acrylics despite the naysayers on Facebook.

They do great as long as your surface is super clean before applying them and I cannot recommend the poly additive enough.  I’ve had good luck with Mission Models Acrylics after figuring this out.   (see my two Hellcats earlier this year and P-51 last year).   👍🏻

Hi Steve

Glad to see that you are making progress with it; for a moment I thought maybe you have jumped to the SU-27 (not that it will be a bad thing either). Keep on with the good work you are doing.

Carlos

Edited by cruiz

Update 11/3

I managed to finish up the front intake assemblies this morning.  The interlocking construction is fuss-free and allows easy for painting.   After filling the ejector pin holes in the intakes and backside of the splitter plates with CA, everything was sanding smooth and primed with Mr Surfacer 1500.  I put a little shading on the splitter plates for some visual interest.   
B6FniYn.jpg

And backsides sanded smooth...

re9eUNr.jpg

Add paint (Mr Color) and an enamel wash...

TEAdXX7.jpg

Check out the cool assembly!

4OLKJ8X.jpg

All together...hcBhUl5.jpg

mv6Ceyi.jpg

I see I need to cleanup the flash on the intake lip a bit and I will.  Nothing like a giant picture to reveal flaws 😂

Onwards!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 11/1/2020 at 9:25 PM, cruiz said:

Hi Steve

Glad to see that you are making progress with it; for a moment I thought maybe you have jumped to the SU-27 (not that it will be a bad thing either). Keep on with the good work you are doing.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos - I really want to start the Su-27, but I need to finish something!  This kit is going together quickly enough and the build mojo is there, so I should see it through to completion 👍🏻

I'm watching this with great interest. It looks awesome so far and I can't wait to see more. I will be waiting for the slatted E, but this sure is a great reference thread about what to expect. 

4 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Can those splitter plates be slotted into position after the rest of the intake is mounted on the fuselage ?

I am curious about this as well. Looks like it could be, just like Hasegawa's.

Edited by Janissary