Blue tail Ki-61 Tony: Did it actually exist?

I have a question for the ARC community that knows a lot about WWII Japanese aircraft.

Years ago, my Dad did a 1/48 Ki-61 Tony based on a color profile from a book. It was similar to the popular paint scheme of the one allegedly flown by Lt. Kobayashi but had a blue tail instead of red. Was there ever a unit that flew the Ki-61 in these markings, or is this just another example of errenous photo interpretation? I did a Google search but it didn't turn up much more than I already know. I have the Hasegawa model and would like to to do the one with the blue tail, but if it is historically inaccurate I have other options in mind.

Thanks for the help!

Chriss,

I am no expert but going through my FAW #17 1989 I didn’t see any thing that showed that there were any Tony’s with a blue tail.

I could not find any thing that showed that were any blue tailed Tony’s in The **** Mechanic #37 1982 11

This doesn’t mean that there weren’t.

Your best bet it to try the J-Aircraft.com web site.

Best of luck,

Mr. Happy

In my meager WWII Japanese reference library I found three books that have a color profile of a blue tail KI-61, they are;

Japanese Army Air Force Camouflage and Markings World War II by Donald W. Thorpe, Aero Publishers Inc copyright 1968

Page 131 - Color Profile 63 - Tony, 244th Fighter AD Sentai, HQ Chutai  Chofu, Japan 1945

color is given as "A24 Medium Blue"

Japanese Aircraft of World War II 1937-1945 by Thomas Newdick, Amber Books, copyright 2017, page 47

States aircraft is a Ki-61-Ic of the Headquarters flight of the 244th Sentai, a home defense unit

Japanese Army Fighters Part 1 by William Green and Gordon Swanborough, Arco Publishing Company, copyright 1977

Page 54 - Profile is of - Ki-61KAI-Hei of the HQ Chutai, 244th  Sentai, at Chofu, Tokyo, winter 1944-45

hth

GW

GW8345,

Good job on your field work and saving the day:thumbsup:

Unfortunately I could not find any thing else in my copy of Peter Scott’s, Emblems Of The Rising Sun (Imperial Japanese Army Air Force Unit Markings) ISBN: 1-902109-55-4

This what’s it all about, trying to help our fellow modelers.

BTW: Thanks for listing your references.

Mr.Happy

On 10/22/2020 at 7:22 PM, Mr.Happy said:

GW8345,

Good job on your field work and saving the day:thumbsup:

Unfortunately I could not find any thing else in my copy of Peter Scott’s, Emblems Of The Rising Sun (Imperial Japanese Army Air Force Unit Markings) ISBN: 1-902109-55-4

This what’s it all about, trying to help our fellow modelers.

BTW: Thanks for listing your references.

Mr.Happy

Yep, got that book too and looked in it, nothing in there about a blue tailed KI-61.

I also have "Fighters of the Imperial Japanese Army 1939-1945"  by Eduardo Cea and it states for the majority of Sentai Hombu (Headquarter squadron) the color was blue so there may be some validity to a KI-61 having a blue tail.

One would have to research more to find a definitive answer, I know just enough to be dangerous (researching Japanese markings gives me a headache).

Edited by GW8345