Nat Geo "Right Stuff" Show

Anyone else watched this yet?  It's on the Disney streaming service.  I watched the first episode yesterday and I was not impressed.  I think the movie is just so good, there was no way it was going to be as good as it.  There are two episodes out now, and they seem to be focusing on the Mercury 7 and not the test pilots.  The CGI is a little off too. 

I haven't watched any yet but I will. The original film is a tough act to follow...the soundtrack alone is tough to beat.

I just hope they do Gus Grissom justice in this go around.

Edited by 82Whitey51

I watched the first episode. I agree the film is a tough act to follow, but I like the idea of bringing the story to a new generation. The Mercury program was still in the collective memory of most of the population in the 80s, and many of the people involved were still around. It is not in the collective memory of much of the population today, and many who were involved are no longer with us.  It is also a little tricky to get used to the new actors, as the actors in the movie are the ones I associate with the role.  

I guess what i am trying to say is that it is a good time to tell the story to a new generation and show just how big a deal the early space program was. 

I'm liking it so far. Granted it takes a different approach but so far the story is being told pretty well. and like Kurt says, it's great that it's getting out to a new generation. I hope they get more in to the technical as well eventually but we'll see.

Bill

I watched the first episode last night and wasn’t too impressed.  Aside from no Yeager, the Lovelace Clinic scenes were a lot less interesting than the movie.  So far, it seems much more serious and more bland than either the movie or the book.  I’ll watch the second episode, but it needs to pick up a bit to keep my interest.  Also, except for the John Glenn, I can’t really tell the rest of the guys from each other since they pretty much look the same.  The very obvious CGI for the F-104 sequence wasn’t very good, I thought.

Watched the first two, and I was glad that Trudy Cooper got some of her story told. Didn’t realize she was a pilot! While the movie sets a very high bar, I like the idea that they can expand the story over more time.

Edited by andrew.deboer

The movie from the 1980s had the advantage (and limitation) of optical/visual effects, practical effects and the opportunity to use real aircraft and shoot on-location in some cases.   Did the filmakers need footage on the USS Coral Sea to communicate that Alan Shepard was Naval Aviator?  Not really.   Did it look awesome?  Absolutely!

Could they use a real NF-104 for Yeager's sequence in film? Not really.  Did the sequence with the F-104G stand-in look awesome? Absolutely!

The film took some "artistic license" with actual events and people who were still alive when it hit the screen, but it's a Hollywood feature and not a Ken Burns documentary.   

I'm only one episode in and I hope that they can flesh out the lives of the real-life participants in a mini-series compared to a 2-hour film.

I still really like the footage of that shiny F-104 in the film and CG is not yet able to fully capture that.   Let's see if the X-15 program gets some screen time.

More planes? Yes please!

Edited by John B

I've now watched the first four episodes, and frankly I didn't realize they could make tge early days of the space race so boring.  We get snippets of astronaut stuff, sprinkled among hours of generic soap opera melodrama.  We get it..they had troubled marriages.  Get to the darn rockets, already!  It's been many years since I read the book, but I don't recall anywhere near this much focus on domestic strife, which completely dominates the TV series.

SN