EA-18G from Italeri, or is it Revelleri?

Hi there.

Despite having a few kits unfinished (ok, quite a few) this one kept creeping up on me everytime i opened closet.

I like Hornets. Growlers are ok too I guess 😉 And Italeri Super Hornet is something I wanted to build for some time. You know that feeling when You absolutetly know the kit is bad, but somehow You feel the urge to do something about it? Well, that's pretty much it for me with this one. I know Italeri Super Hornet can be built into a good model. The overall shape seems ppretty nice. Some even say it has the best spine shape of all 1/48 Super Hornets. That'd be nice. For me it does have some advatages to it's competitors - the Revell Super Hornet (Regarding the double seater: since it actually is readilly available, and has way better canopy shape), as well as Hasegawa - as it has much lower price (more than 2:1 in favor to the Italeri issue - a good factor for a training kit).

It does have nice boxart.

ACtC-3cRzy9TTb4mRwHWZJ9vY_5xIYfMDniR57Rv

Initially, I wanted to exchange a lot of parts with the Revell Super Hornet, I've two partially complete noses with cockpits - one for an Echo one for a Foxtrot including canopies and windscreens, vertical and horizontal stabs, two full sets of pylons and even two fuel tanks. Plus some leftovers from Hasegawa Super Hornets - seats, canopy. I'll see what I can use for this build.

Most finished Italeri Super Hornets, even the nicest ones, have one point that is unacceptable to me - the jet pipes. I mean, they look weird, inaccurate and just plain ugly even when complete. I seem to have a thing for mixing parts from different kits. And I happen to have some spare Revell and Hasegawa jet pipes. From left to right - Revell, Hasegawa and Italeri. The initial idea was to use Revell parts. They are way better than Italeri and come complete with the silver round part, just as the Italeri. See how nice they are 😉

ACtC-3dyxxmcwVYSEuYdKdo6nMjoO87Uy5lklpdy

ACtC-3efToWwBrFKxXMY-i8OEH09rAm3rnQmLNxx

But the Revell part is just too big in diameter. Without modifing the aft fuselage I can't fit them.

ACtC-3dhQsw5F0fsrzt8nByU6vg1SkmqK-PD6LJ3

Hasegawa otoh, are almost correct. I just don't have the silver round part.

ACtC-3fZidP_2eIUxf3YCvs1pNIk8eoAbye-9hkS

So I took the Italeri part and hope to match it to the Hasegawa piece.

ACtC-3cj-SrD6Zuv4rTrcCn58v5yfBsvQGhcjGpV

There's still a lot of trimming to do. Some sanding. Hopefully It will turn out ok. I'm just too cheap to go and buy some resin exhaust.

Next part, are the underwing pylons. There are two sets of pylons in the kit. One is for regular Super Hornet versions and one for a Growler. AFAIK, there are no differences in real pylons. As mentioned I've a full set of underwing pylons from Revell. Their shape is a bit suspicious in the front part, but they are much wider. Italeri Pylons are very slim.

ACtC-3eK2WmNBrXL2c63V8JXZVmJgKx9iGs7l-S9

ACtC-3dIi8Xqig3VotWkpfVELk10mud9svqCnOaP

I've decided to use the Revell pylons and mount them on magnets.

ACtC-3ewhZzKvTILr_iQvWGpWL4aJCNDfApbw1LX

Fuel tanks are slightly off in Italeri kit. IIRC, these are only in Growler kits. The Echo's have the smaller 330 gallon tanks from legacy Hornets. Buf IMHO Italeri tanks are better than Revell ones which are very fat. Hasegawa tanks are in the middle - another bit to use

ACtC-3eNVj2NLqbKh2FNqcbtEJX6Ckw5YLhPVFfb

What Italeri does have is some weird panel lines. Almost entire front fuselage has fictous panel lines.

ACtC-3dsA6_1bt6shn73fpbvnzurpu8R8yO-DPk1

The wingtip rails are similar to the older style. Luckilly I don't have to use them. If I had to, I'd use the Revell ones.

ACtC-3eF69dkvQ2x7aGyYvfmUaKLra-Ab9UEY_Bs

And just for kicks, here are the Italeri and Revell fins:

ACtC-3dcoIb2mRCp7UbouI1Ot02XGvR8aJlHP8iW

They are similar in dimensions. So are the horizontal stabs.

ACtC-3dvbGG3a7b7A_kBOZ265dF4R9DIiu1JIz2k

Frankly, the next part that is unacceptable is the cockpit.

Here is the difference between the Italeri and Revell cockpits. IMHO, the cockpit is the nicest part of the Revell Super Hornet.

ACtC-3cRaJYa4ySJ4m__JQQ3Alj0fE-o6i14VUIs

The aft turtledeck is also pretty nicelly detailed in Revell kit.

ACtC-3fGsMfolvcvV9DN5OzgtK9gL4P28vFan6GJ

I'm going to have to modify the aft IP coaming. The Italeri one is basic, but has the rough shape correct for the late lot Super Hornets.

ACtC-3flGRKDZU1Gf7NmCG54dZMIwN5-GmWvfalB

Here's the Revell cockpit in place. It's a tight fit. I'm going to add some sidewall detail. I had to cut a piece of front IP coaming, since the Revell part has this coaming in the Instrument panel. I've also filled some panel lines on the top fuselage in order to make them a bit more accurate.

ACtC-3fvfhY-Bs6s2M7SxctQldaxolXASMV_wgeI

ACtC-3dxr1wRWxNuvymkxnbSh2jyfMpMxZMdMHxC

Right now I'm still in the woods with the build. Pretty much everything is being built in subassemblies - intakes, cockpit (i stripped it of paint already). I'll probably be way more than 10 - 15 hours in the build before I'll assemble the forward piece and attach the cockpit.

Thanks for stoppingy by, stay healthy and safe!

On 10/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, eraucubsfan said:

Awesome start, I am currently building Hasegawa Version of the Growler 🙂

Thanks. I've built two Hasegawa Foxtrots in the distant past and an Echo about a year ago. The F's are long gone though.

ACtC-3eZ4AqU6gJuAiMFwY-4V9z0BPCp_56KhGQM

Nice kits they are. Some work surely is required, but not as much as I anticipate on this one. Plus all the detail is already there. No need for additional bumps, weapons and such. Plus the EW pods are better shaped. Are You building it somewhere here on ARC?

On 10/15/2020 at 9:44 PM, Da SWO said:

This posted today:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37053/the-ea-18g-growler-has-its-own-topgun-school-for-electronic-attack-instead-of-dogfighting

Box art doesn't show any ARM's, are they missing from the kits?

On 10/16/2020 at 11:26 AM, Niels said:

You can see the sprues of the Italeri EA-18G here: https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2096/1/2

No AGM-88's. All You get are the launchers. Plus AIM-120's and AIM-9's.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/EA-18G-GROWLER-2590553.html

They're present on the Echo kit. Funny, right?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-A-18E-Super-Hornet-30608180.html

On 10/16/2020 at 2:21 PM, ST0RM said:

Seems like you've got more of the Revell kit, than the Italeri. 

Nice work on the FrankenGrowler.

Thanks! I'm still undecided wheter to use the stabs from Revell. They are a bit differently shaped. But I've found out some problems with my new exhaust. I'll have to do some measuring and dry fitting once the fuselage is closed. I might have to reshape the aft fuselage.

Funny thing, at first look this is an ok-ish kit detailwise. But upon further inspection, a lot of passable details is in the wrong places. For instance the ecs exhaust are too far back. It's good Italeri gave the newer style - bard stack ecs exhaust as separate pieces. Shame really, since the kit looks pretty nice when complete.

Check out some nice Italeri Hornets here on ARC:

https://www.arcair.com/Fea1/501-600/Fea573-F-18-Gok/00.shtm

https://www.arcair.com/Fea1/701-800/Fea727-F-18-Juarez/00.shtm

https://www.arcair.com/Gal2/1401-1500/Gal1483-F-18-Volz/00.shtm

https://www.arcair.com/Fea1/901-1000/Fea904-F-18F-Manning/00.shtm

Thanks for stopping by!

So the exhaust are bothering me extremely.

I reached a spot, where the ring piece was shaped to proper diameter. Please excuse the sausage fingers.

ACtC-3fKOWBa_Bcb8U5qlXyP_zIvgp_dJRS1bYEd

When viewed from the side, it's exactly how I wanted it.

ACtC-3f1HNfuvMDpq57IuRd1JC_bpfIbWLb9EJca

However, from any other angle the curve of the rear doesn't match. Or actually the other way around. My modified part doesn't match the fuselage. I could modify th aft fuselage with putty, plastic and a lot of sanding.

ACtC-3csyzi2YAuRtQytliw6EcOFMsk4RcFMWJFq

One other thing bothered me with the rear fuselage section. The last panel lines are roughly where they should be taking back of the fins as the reference point. Obviously, if I took the rear of the fuselage as the reference point, it's way too forward. The diamond shaped vents are rougly where they should be with reference to the exhaust nozzles. I could compare the model with pictures all day long. I didn't know what was wrong. But then it hit me. Italeri exhaust cans, are roughly the same length as the Hasegawa exhaust. They obviously have the silver ring part moulded - perhaps there is some difference in the fuselage lenghth.

ACtC-3fpCccUa6TL1rvv7N9jOUarCK3ulTG9-RVZ

Both fuselage are placed with the top of the LERX (top pic) and the tail attachment points as reference point (lower pic).

ACtC-3eKKpljY1vNegz-KCzXhCZ7zRLoChfFyD7b

Here's Italeri on top of Hasegawa, placed just a bit to the side.

ACtC-3drDZX13H0U_6hq3BgUoEiIUolOlKbh9gmw

This shows the difference in lenghth. The LERX are pretty much in the same spot, so is the vertical tails attachment point. The wing attachment point seems a bit to the rear with Italeri kit.

If I were to attach the Hasegawa exhaust right to the fuselage I could scribe the ring part on the fuselage. This will of course be done when I'll assemble the fuselage. I need to know how exactly will it affect the finished model. Will it be shorter, do I have to compensate with the placement of the horizontal stabs, and so on. The location of the wings bothers me a bit. It's not conclusive right now.

ACtC-3dKAdMg2Cu3UmV4C5vFAop5vnKOlarKf7WA

ACtC-3clH28Zjrk4Gz0bd9wZQnNoU5CPp918bKLr

It looks pretty good, doesn't it?

In the meantime, I begun the cockpit work - I removed all the parts. Only the seats wouldn't separate, so I cut them out. I created some semblance of sidewall detail.

ACtC-3ehiK050XaSQVQnUnCc2dG6Rerar_s4bxw3

Here is the pit painted up and glued to the fuselage. I still didn't add the details - sticks, seats and instrument panels.

ACtC-3chOt3EXgzDG-FUcqmOPEBRiSAi30OyiiD_

Here is the comparison of the seats - Italeri, Hasegawa and Revell.

ACtC-3f6ptNBjRIvu0uwW8ZFjrKCatlV41xhtKRc

ACtC-3cRN2_7_Huj8Gl4SxVAQ3S54Pbwlt59DPrS

I'm not going to use the Italeri seats that's for sure. I'll probably settle for the Revell ones, though the Hasegawa seats are better IMHO, but I'll have to repaint them and add some new seatbelts.

Wings were cut up too. All Italeri parts here, though I'll have to measure the leading edge flaps, as they are suspiciously short. Or it's just my newfound paranoia regarding Italeri parts... I still haven't decided If I'm going to use the Revell horizontal stabs. Since taking this picture I filled most of the panel lines on the main wing parts.

ACtC-3cbHOZdYq7BdN6uOdRed7ZU0kcnKmrMwWTN

So now the fun part, right? I'll use the Hasegawa actuators. I'm not using Italeri parts - no way. Obviously I'll have to modify the larger actuators - I already have an idea how to do it.

ACtC-3eu6hy-_STJcNeuaqplIvC3xExskNKiLr-V

And since I'm already replacing a lot of parts, I guess I can go with replacement wheels. I don't like the Italeri attachment - there's a piece that sandwiches the wheel to the gear strut - You can make it moveable. I'd rather use slightly more detailed Revell wheels. Just have to strip them of paint.

ACtC-3fT6rGD4Vx9AdmmrCqK9olMnKkvrqlK3rDO

Thanks for stopping by. If You have any suggestions, let me know.

23 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Nice kits they are. Some work surely is required, but not as much as I anticipate on this one. Plus all the detail is already there. No need for additional bumps, weapons and such. Plus the EW pods are better shaped. Are You building it somewhere here on ARC?

Yeah, but I haven't kept up with it.   

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Your Growler looks mighty fine. Hope You'll get right back on track with it.

I've a feeling I've made a lot of progress.

So, just for kicks I built the ECM pods. The centerline one is just horrible. If I ever thought it was anything but horrible I apologise.

ACtC-3dWRZMtGUE0zjZkhCJyY2Yy0-vDNO-ebrDt

Still, after some sanding, the other two look passable.

ACtC-3e-Zt4NedzT9V1jnqb816qaLkP4QtW2UoeD

The lower fuselage required some carefull work (which I might have botched). The side inserts fought me a little and when I declared my victory (i.e. after the glue has set)I found out I missaligned them. This will come back to bite me.

ACtC-3fVfFVmYqTJb8hQ-ZQJRO74Dz_OGouJNPGD

I did some sanding on the MLG bays.

This was because I wanted to insert the home made tubes with intake faces. Frankly, not the best of ideas. I couldn't align the two intakes together, the diameter is too small to look accurate. Better luck next time? Missaligned side inserts didn't help. First bite 😉

ACtC-3czVAW6A6Ozyglzfg_8eUOTYuzKmaxq9tMF

This is the only pic of inside of the intakes. I do not want to look there. The intakes required a lot of putty. Still they aren't perfect.

ACtC-3ef8ZtP0vO-7PSUelx_dD3gzIDOvtOLei9F

Now the thing that I was a bit scared of were the flap actuators. It's a simple operation really. Just two straight cuts with razor saw. But somehow it did scare me. This is the first one I made three cuts, one horizontal, one vertical and one perpendicular. The horizontal cut was a bit tricky with the vertical one. It's way easier just to make the horizontal cut without the vertical. Hope this makes any sense.

ACtC-3cfD5FAY-aoF_VdsGddHGyOZ1LalAt_278P

Taking reference from Hasegawa Hornet and the already present holes I guesstimated the position of the actuators.

ACtC-3eD5Ags2ntQV7OgaqlxBb3MYPHr3VJ4qczj

Another troublesome point of interest - the ACS. I took the part from Italeri, cut it out a bit and added some plasticard. I did not enlarge the center display - It is just starting to bother me. I also remade the front cover with putty.

ACtC-3d2QSHgGPEz-cCnBMlyIL7mzjrqFS5PGPTu

I'm can't build the IP cover without the actual panel. So I had to assemble the cover attached to the panel. A bit tricky, I know, I just unable to do it the other way.

ACtC-3eEHq9F7NRdJkokXEaHIdXDDkydUlAgq_-T

And after the glue has setted, I separated the cover in order for some shaping.

ACtC-3eUbveCqvrw3e29-gzGuYibzL21rckzVjXj

And the aft crew station complete.

ACtC-3dKdZqCwAgmu6_7cndzJvD7NC2QfAg_xSad

One thing that's missing in the kit are the small ecm bumps just aft of the nose. I made them from 2mm sprue.

ACtC-3cvVABPRfoNrETXnHENb08B80rfmGMgORc6

I also added some material under the windscreen.

ACtC-3ccMMdY03CR-uApGNej4ceChD5_QLUTgjdP

So, the missalignment in the side inserts also resulted in the missalignment in the right wing. There was a slight gap. In the hinsight I just should've sanded the lower wing part to make it fit. Kinda dumb move, huh?

ACtC-3d6QkQa93Tgl_Hv73MoQ8n-689Svbzt0mN7

So in the end I had to add some plasticard to the right inner leading edge flap.

ACtC-3d63iejTuIInfR2kEASu_Zjft3DvQo74kld

So that's my Growler right now. Still a lot of filling and sanding. I put on some black paint to check the seams. Some light sanding is in order. Funny thing, I've run out of 2mm plastic rods, so I had to use the toothpicks.

ACtC-3dl2zapQ_ySHd9Qxjogsj2yan0OEk5BAEe1

Thanks for stoppingy by!

• 2 months later...

I can't seem to focus on one project at a time nowadays. I got like 10 kits in progress. Considering the hardest part with this model are the exhaust, how easy it is to flunk it up. But right now it's time I feel like I'd like to build this Growler.

So I tried scribing the area around exhaust. My scribing skills are lacking. The right one came out way better. I made a lot of slip ups on the left one. So... back to the drawing board. I chose to cut out the approximate area, where the ring would be and attach the Revell exhaust. Yup, that's way easier. I had to leave a small area between the exhaust.

ACtC-3ejnaIuiRqPCFt1JzocU1wrqFVDEJAR-fye

ACtC-3ehm_N6QfyCcdlwdbdwgQOB_jYrsdWmcFqq

Dryfit was very promising. From the sides the fit was excellent. Only problem was with the fit looking from the top. The curvature did not match the fuselage a bit.

Sorry for the bad picture. Apparently it was taken with a cucumber, not a phone or a camera.

ACtC-3eExSjgb3ylXpnjXE0gqP9IhhAI9Doz-n30

See what I mean about the side not fitting? It took some sanding on the fuselage and on the exhaust sides - where they meet that small inner piece I left.

ACtC-3fga_LHbmwWEDDWAlXOVWA0FauUusD9lmbs

In the end, the fit isn't stellar. But it looks pretty ok. IRL it doesn't really show that much.

ACtC-3cZtb9YNSmgM-w__Luatu_JXtRCXxt0IAeF

Considering the modification I made I was afraid the elevators would be in wrong position. I took a comparison photo with my Hasegawa F/A-18E. Not bad for a mk1 eyeball job. Apparently I didn't do good enough job fillin the non existent panel lines on elevators. Should've placed the most aft panel line even further to the back of the aircraft. I did not have my Hasegawa SH on hand to compare it when I scribed the line. I'll have to live with it now.

0ysqUtRU9fxUEhOdD7YmJJa0O3E1dF2V_LeXmorP

Whatever the case, I finished my exhaust odyssey. It was "fun". I'll have to redo this one more time when I build the Italeri Echo.

Next stop - wheel well covers. Frankly, I just replace them for "fun". Italeri ones are indeed lacking in detail, but honestly, not that much. Hasegawa covers I happen to have are pretty good fit.

ACtC-3cqzpoGi1YAiSjBbFz6LXBozxljhgCw8lvi

Biggest difference is in the nose wheel cover. The large furthermost is the biggest difference - the detail is much better on Hasegawa part. There is also a difference in size. Had I anticipated it I'd sand a bit of fuselage part to make the hole wider. That would make me scribe some nose panel lines in slightly different locations. Right now I'm not going to fix it. I can however change the length of said part.

BTW. Check out the "round details" on Hassegawa part 😉

ACtC-3dKC8Nf459I3NsA3qE7hw8FTik7tSsVGwzX

It took a single cut with wide saw to adjust the part. Much better. Some light sanding wil suffice.

ACtC-3cp_ECVrUOfCLltPnD0aF3rBbMm5GWXT-wq

I tried very hard to mask the intakes. Thin stripes of masking tape fold on themselves, and the intake color demarcation line is deep enough to make it problematic for me.

But earplugs

ACtC-3foLNZ2XqaQGxESzM0r9dEw36iPpIh5atXK

And so I painted this beast. I used MM acryl for the blues and Pactra Light Ghost Gray. Dark blue was just that - MM Dark blue with a drop of white. The lighter blue is Cobalt blue with few drops of dark blue and a lot of white. There are some places where masking tape lifted paint, so fixes are in order. Also a few places where I have to paint light gray areas - on the lex and at the exhaust where the rhomboid vents are.

ACtC-3eMcoRmTRNc7UPXhkII0nCe9lb9qui63Q6Z

ACtC-3f9GFSZ1jtatgo41enNZh373L-8748lD6k3

The current trouble is with the ALQ-99's. I should place only the centerline one. But this one is a bit different shape than the others. Italeri make two OK-ish ones but botched the centerline one. The overall shape of the centerline pod is ok. It should be wider at the base. But the height of the pod and it's lenghth are afaik the same as the underwing ones. If anyone has better info, please let me know.

ACtC-3e-Zt4NedzT9V1jnqb816qaLkP4QtW2UoeD

Thanks for stopping by. Next stop - gloss coat and decals.

• 2 weeks later...

I really dislike this part. I find a flaw, despite all the research and I have either to live with it, or to go in and fix it. Well this time it was small thing. The gray area on the elevators is waaay smaller than what I did. So I dark blue had to be redone. Since I was at it, I figured I could redo the filling job on the elevators. Considering all the panel lines I filled I guess I could've redo all of them. Ah. Well.

ACtC-3ffnzTP_ZFqN8FlpyywVvWeVVmtdTQc3wm3

ACtC-3dOw-NjFGKUiMbsxO3C1R_G0TfOou-tEJH_

And since I guesstimated the mix of dark blue to white I ended up with elevators jus a bit lighter shade... So I took and painted some random spots. Hard to notice right now.

Did some additional gray areas - near the exhaust and on the LEX.

ACtC-3fAfrQ7WiPlpUdeBVINjx3vgiDNwfcGqQPf

After that I gloss coated the beast....

aaaand decals!

Italeri kit comes with a set of nice Cartograph designed and printed decals. But as it comes often with Italeri, there are some simplifications, omissions, mistakes and such to be expected. I took the countermeasure decals and some mesh decals from Hasegawa F/A-18E I've built. The aft rhombus-like decals were especially usefull, as I've redone that area and obliterated everything Italeri cribed there.

ACtC-3cWeoYyP3R69ftaSCEOxw74pXI0q-u7djrt

So... considering the amount of stuff that could go wrong (I mean, they are white decals...) The "55" on the nose should be smaller. I guesstimate by 1/3. There are three sets of "55", where You only need two. Don't know why. Other that that, there are no ejection seat warning decals. Or at least not the proper ones. 166899 had only some black inscription. They were hardly visible on the jet. Italeri would have You use some light gray ones. I never saw any stencil on the jet. If it was, it probably was black on the upper side and gray on the lower.

Just wish there were two sets of VAQ-129 blue swords. I had to decide wheter to put one on each side of the fuel tank, or put two on one tank. I chose the latter. I've added magnets on the centerline. Didn't plan ahead, but since I had to

See, there are even AGM-88 decals. Just no missiles. I trimmed a bit the walkways, as they seemed too wide comparing to the Hasegawa ones. Other than that, the slime lights should all be the same length. They are not. A common "feature" on Hornet kits. Don't know why there are slime light decals for the wingtips, but it's nice. Since one can easilly build an "F" from this kit.

2716-Decal%2034x23,1LR.jpg

After decals I slapped some MM metalizers - stainless steel and burnt metal on the exhaust. Never done it before the final coats. I wonder how will it end up.

One thing that's very visible on this shot is how Italeri molded the spine. The aft part should be a bit "blended" at the base. Only noticed it recently when I did some research on Revell Super Hornet.

ACtC-3epOtfbns2sOLLVE06-t0dwSOQPMYn6eOms

See what I mean about the spine?

ACtC-3fHMKYZxsGbsnZXDEPVfzdKXGPFUp5ulxtz

All that's left is gloss coat, weathering and final assembly. I'm leaving off the AN/ALQ-99's since I can't get the centerline pod and refuse to use the kit piece. If I ever get a Hasegawa Growler I might rob it. Most probable I'll leave it as is. With magnets I don't really have to decide right now.

Thanks for stopping by!