What Aftermarket for 1/48 GWH F-15C MSIP II?

Hi All,

I want to ask the opinions of those who are really in the know, and have probably built, the Great Wall Hobby L4817, the 1/48 F-15C MSIP II.  I would like to know what you would suggest as the best aftermarket items and upgrades to really deck out this model.  I already have a Quickboost QG 48 003 seat and a KA Models F-15C P&W Exhaust Nozzle Set (Closed).  I am planning to get an Eduard TFace canopy mask set, and the Quinta QD 48039 cockpit set.  What other aftermarket items or sets would you suggest to really jazz up this plane?  I am not going to display it with equipment or avionic hatches or panels open, so I don't need any details for those types of things.  What else should I consider?  Aftermarket wheels/tires, maybe a different exhaust and afterburner?  What other details?  An Eduard exterior upgrade set?  Anything else?  I just want this airplane to have the best of everything 😊  Thanks for any help!

Edited by Curt B

Standard grays have been done to many times If you really want to add a punch to your F-15 your decals and paint scheme can make or break your plans. Afterburner Decals 48081 1/48 F-15C/D 65th Aggressors Decals has great plans for blue/brown and blue gray splinter for adversary squadrons.

Pre cut airbrush masks work great 

http://www.advmodprds.com/f1548.html

38 minutes ago, RichardL said:

Are stock parts that inaccurate and will need to be upgraded with aftermarket items?

Not that that is the case, it's just that oftentimes, though far from always, aftermarket manufacturers come up with very focused development of specific aspects of an airplane.  Photo etch parts, for instance, may be finer, more true to life, than the plastic parts supplied in a kit.  And, for instance, I already know that the aftermarket ejection seat I got is better, more detailed, and perhaps more accurate, than the kit part, and the aftermarket exhaust nozzles are HUGELY more detailed and accurate than the kit parts.  My point was asking if anyone happened to know if there are other parts of the kit that have been improved upon by aftermarket manufacturers.  Not all aftermarket items are 'better' than kit parts, but some are.  Depends on the kit, and what aftermarket companies have chosen to create for those kits.  

So, my post was not to imply that I think the Great Wall airplane model is a bad or inaccurate model.  As far as I know, that plane is the best F-15C airplane model in 1/48 scale, which is why I bought it.  Just looking for any nuanced improvements that anyone might be aware of.

1 hour ago, Night Owl Models said:

Standard grays have been done to many times If you really want to add a punch to your F-15 your decals and paint scheme can make or break your plans. Afterburner Decals 48081 1/48 F-15C/D 65th Aggressors Decals has great plans for blue/brown and blue gray splinter for adversary squadrons.

Pre cut airbrush masks work great 

http://www.advmodprds.com/f1548.html

I was considering one or more of these mask sets, honestly, but haven't been able to find any model shop that carries them.  Do you know where they can be purchased?

I try and build collect kits that I worked in my career as an air traffic controller. I bought this kit based on all the great reviews. I also found the twobobs decal set for the airframes that the California Air National Guard got from the 65th Agressors out of Nellis. They retained the Aggressor paint scheme....

http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p679.html

I got the Eduard PE set with cockpit and engine parts.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-15C-MSIP-II-S.A.-Great-Wall-Hobby-L4817.html

Which sadly seems to be discontinued. Watching a build video on you tube of this kit, it also seemed the landing gear was a bit flimsy, so I bought a metal set....

http://www.scaleaircraftconversions.com/moreinfo.cfm?KIT=554

Reading this thread makes me want to put together another package for another complete kit. I will look into the seat and nozzles.....

Edited by sideshow

Try this it would look awsome  JASDF F-15J Eagle 303rd TFS 60th Anniversary (digital camouflage). https://the48ers.com/f-15j-60th-anniversary-digital-camo.html

Better if you can mask and paint it yourself large decals are bound to tear and frustrate you. I did a GWH Mig-29 the same way it was a challenge but achievable. Do some reserch and it improves your modeling skills learning difficult techniques. Let me know if you want to go this route.

20200628_232708-600x450.jpg

20200722_212657-600x328.jpg

6 hours ago, Curt B said:

I was considering one or more of these mask sets, honestly, but haven't been able to find any model shop that carries them.  Do you know where they can be purchased?

Purchase Directly from His Website. You send him an Email of what Masking kits you require and he`ll send you the reply with the amount. I`ve use many of his maskd for my Aggressor F16s and they are a Gem to work with.

Hope this Helps

Phil

1 hour ago, Rt4957 said:

Purchase Directly from His Website. You send him an Email of what Masking kits you require and he`ll send you the reply with the amount. I`ve use many of his maskd for my Aggressor F16s and they are a Gem to work with.

Hope this Helps

Phil

Oh, it DOES!!!!  Thank you!!!

5 hours ago, sideshow said:

I try and build collect kits that I worked in my career as an air traffic controller. I bought this kit based on all the great reviews. I also found the twobobs decal set for the airframes that the California Air National Guard got from the 65th Agressors out of Nellis. They retained the Aggressor paint scheme....

So you were/are an Air Force controller?  Stationed at Nellis?  I've lived in Las Vegas for 20 years, and never made it out to Nellis for any of the air shows.  If they ever do another show of any kind, I should try to go.  It's cool to think of modeling aircraft that have actually been here in town.  Was it just the blue one, or the tan/brown one also?

Oh, while I have been a big fan of the Eduard prepainted cockpit PE, I'm planning to take the next step up in cockpit aftermarket, with the Quinta sets.  If you haven't seen these, not only are they full color, they are also 3D printed with switches and knobs.  About the same cost as the Eduard stuff, perhaps a bit more, but from the photos I've seen, blows Eduard away in terms of realism and accuracy!

Edited by Curt B
3 hours ago, Night Owl Models said:

Try this it would look awsome  JASDF F-15J Eagle 303rd TFS 60th Anniversary (digital camouflage). https://the48ers.com/f-15j-60th-anniversary-digital-camo.html

Better if you can mask and paint it yourself large decals are bound to tear and frustrate you. I did a GWH Mig-29 the same way it was a challenge but achievable. Do some reserch and it improves your modeling skills learning difficult techniques. Let me know if you want to go this route.

20200628_232708-600x450.jpg

20200722_212657-600x328.jpg

I have to say that I love those digital camo schemes, and I can only imagine the improvements in skills one would gain by doing those via masking instead of decals!  I'll consider it and contact you if I decide to do one of these...thank you!

17 hours ago, Curt B said:

So you were/are an Air Force controller?  Stationed at Nellis?  

Civilian at Oakland Center, worked the Nellis guys in the northwest refueling track mostly during Red Flag. Worked the Fresno based interceptors a lot, especially during 9/11.

17 hours ago, Curt B said:

Oh, while I have been a big fan of the Eduard prepainted cockpit PE, I'm planning to take the next step up in cockpit aftermarket, with the Quinta sets.  If you haven't seen these, not only are they full color, they are also 3D printed with switches and knobs.  About the same cost as the Eduard stuff, perhaps a bit more, but from the photos I've seen, blows Eduard away in terms of realism and accuracy!

I cheked those out, they look really good......ordering a set. Thanks for the tip!

10 hours ago, sideshow said:

I blame all of you....

I was excited to see the cool new parts, I ordered sets of metal landing gear, the Quinta 3D printed decals and two more kits.....

....I accept no responsibility

No, no, no, no.....   Not me, I didn't do it!  

However, such as it is, I ALSO ordered a metal landing gear set.  I haven't ordered the Quinta set for the F-15C yet, but I suppose I have no choice but to do it....I'm sure I won't be happy with my F-15 unless I do...

1 hour ago, sideshow said:

Ummm...that's exactly what I bought. You have experience with them?

For the most part (at least) the SAC stuff is nothing more than kit parts duplicated in soft metal. They often have softer detail than the kit parts as well.

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

For the most part (at least).......

I guess I don't know what this means. I got them to be stiffer than the stock plastic. I'm good with them being kit duplicates in metal....I don't expect titanium. Looks like I need to do a test.....

22 minutes ago, sideshow said:

I guess I don't know what this means. I got them to be stiffer than the stock plastic. I'm good with them being kit duplicates in metal....I don't expect titanium. Looks like I need to do a test.....

I wrote "for the most part" because I don't know for sure that all the SAC sets are duplicates of the kit parts, although I can't recall hearing about any that aren't. I'd say a test would definitely be in order.