What Aftermarket for 1/48 GWH F-15C MSIP II?

There was also a thread on SAC gear bending and collapsing, but I can't seem to find it.  Most SAC sets are just duplicates of the kit parts without any additional details.  If you want strong landing gear, get the brass version by G-Factor if it's available.

7 minutes ago, RichardL said:

There was also a thread on SAC gear bending and collapsing, but I can't seem to find it.  Most SAC sets are just duplicates of the kit parts without any additional details.  If you want strong landing gear, get the brass version by G-Factor if it's available.

Found the thread on SAC metal gear bending:  http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/311772-scale-aircraft-conversion-metal-gears-thoughts/&tab=comments#comment-2992303

The 48ers sell the Upwind gear.

https://the48ers.com/f-15c-d-j-landing-gear.html

The dude from Genesis models had full build videos (he took most of them down) but at the end of the build he mentions and shows the completed model a bit wobbly. If never disturbed I'm sure the kit gear is just fine I was just looking for a bit more strength. 

14:15

I was worried about these kits being limited in the future........so I bought two more.

😄

Edited by sideshow
2 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

I didn’t think that G Factor made legs for the GWH F-15’s yet...

You can contact G-Factor and ask them to make landing gear for this particular model.  How about modifying the Hasegawa or Revell version to fit this kit?

13 hours ago, RichardL said:

You can contact G-Factor and ask them to make landing gear for this particular model.  How about modifying the Hasegawa or Revell version to fit this kit?

(edited) Never mind.

Edited by seawinder
On 10/19/2020 at 12:26 AM, habu2 said:

There was a recent thread on SAC gear describing the good and bad points, unfortunately I was unable to find it. 

I would imagine the list of good points was very short.

Regards,

Murph

"Need" is subjective...  The exhaust nozzles exterior are not badly moulded, but the radius rods are a bit thick, and the liner for the afterburner is smooth, not corrurgated.  In my view, the nozzles also look too long.  Personally I would replace the exhausts of the kit with aftermarket - Aires are nice and have been around for a while, the KA-Models are superb, but expensive.  Res-Kit ones look promising and their stuff is top notch.

If you want to build a subject with turkey feathered exhausts, then the answer will be "Yes".  Aires have made F-15 sets with turkey feathers for a while, but I have found that their shrinkage is unpredictable and dimensions can vary.  Alternatively a pair of Res-Kit F-16 exhausts may fit the bill.

Edit:  Metallic Details have nozzles that are designed to fit the GWH kit, and are available both in turkey feathered and "plucked" variants.

Edited by jenshb
4 hours ago, jenshb said:

"Need" is subjective...  The exhaust nozzles exterior are not badly moulded, but the radius rods are a bit thick, and the liner for the afterburner is smooth, not corrurgated.  In my view, the nozzles also look too long.  Personally I would replace the exhausts of the kit with aftermarket - Aires are nice and have been around for a while, the KA-Models are superb, but expensive.  Res-Kit ones look promising and their stuff is top notch.

If you want to build a subject with turkey feathered exhausts, then the answer will be "Yes".  Aires have made F-15 sets with turkey feathers for a while, but I have found that their shrinkage is unpredictable and dimensions can vary.  Alternatively a pair of Res-Kit F-16 exhausts may fit the bill.

I agree with Jenshb, 

the nozzles are a bit over scaled.  My personal favorite is the KA set....can’t go wrong.  I looked into the Reskit set but it’s only available in 1/32 right now!

1 hour ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

I agree with Jenshb, 

the nozzles are a bit over scaled.  My personal favorite is the KA set....can’t go wrong.  I looked into the Reskit set but it’s only available in 1/32 right now!

As I mentioned in my original post, I have the KA set of closed nozzles for the F-15, and those nozzles are absolutely spectacular!!  The control arms (I believe that's the correct term) are so finely made that it almost doesn't look possible.  I recall reading somewhere that these KA nozzles are actually created using the actual 3D printing technology, and are not poured resin.  Perhaps that's why they are so expensive.  But even so, they are amazing and definitely something I want on my model!

6 hours ago, Curt B said:

As I mentioned in my original post, I have the KA set of closed nozzles for the F-15, and those nozzles are absolutely spectacular!!  The control arms (I believe that's the correct term) are so finely made that it almost doesn't look possible.  I recall reading somewhere that these KA nozzles are actually created using the actual 3D printing technology, and are not poured resin.  Perhaps that's why they are so expensive.  But even so, they are amazing and definitely something I want on my model!

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're 3D printed. I've got a set (opened) that I'll probably use on my GWH 15C when the time comes. I wonder how straightforward it'll be to substitute the KA nozzles for the kit parts.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:25 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Soooo, this was just announced 😃

SJGwzNu.jpg

1i0y8jR.jpg

I’m in for a couple of sets!  And it sounds like Phase Hanger is coming out with pylons and LAU-128’s and ADU-552’s for the GWH F-15’s

Edited by ORANGF15Guy

I was pleased to realize that I had not gone through with the order I was GOING to make for the SAC metal gear.  I appreciate the post about the Upwind metal gear.  I haven't heard about Upwind...does anyone know whether they are well thought of, particularly as compared to the SAC gear?  In a March 19, 2020 post here in ArcAir, dai phan wrote that his impression was that the Upwind metal gear was as poor, if not worse, than the SAC metal gear.  Sideshow, thank you for posting the link to the Genessis video.  That vid sure illustrates the wobble in the kit plastic landing gear, though as others have written, if you leave the airplane alone for the most part, the kit gear is probably fine.

Yesterday I got a Quinta cockpit set for one of my GWH F-15C kits (I now have 2 F-15Cs, one being the L4817 F-15C MSIP II ANG, the other is S4804 Limited Edition F-15C MSIP II Double MiG Killer Capt. Jeff Hwang kit, which I think is basically the same airframe).  I've also decided I want to get the KA model open exhaust, so I can have one airplane with open and one closed exhaust with the spectacular KA resin sets.  I also got 2 sets of Aero Mask Camouflage Patterns from Jim Sorenson (I'm not the worlds' greatest camo masker), one for the 'normal' Mod Eagle pattern and another for the USAF Aggressor Splinter pattern (in white, gray, turquoise blue) AND the necessary decals for this Aggressor pattern from Speed Hunter Graphics 'Elegant Eagles, Part 1' 48-003, which are printed by Cartograph.  

So, I'm going wild with aftermarket stuff for my 2 F-15Cs.  I can't believe we are now looking at improved full length intakes!!  Thanks for the info, Steve!  Actually, thanks to everyone for the ongoing discourse on my original subject request, though if I keep learning more, I'm going to go broke buying upgrades for my F-15s.