Subjects which are due for a new, modern kit

In recent years many new manufacturers have emerged, and released new kits of subjects which were due for a refresh. Recent examples are the HK models 1/48 B-17G , The AFV club 1/48 U-2, and the forthcoming Revell 1/48 SR-71.

What are other subjects due for a new kit which is currently only filled by an older kit? This is not a wish list request, but a discussion of subjects which are in need of a modern kit, and why you might think it would be a good investment for a manufacturer.

I think the F-4 in all variants is due for a new kit in 1/32.  The Tamiya kit was released in 1995 and has lots of known quirks. the Revell kit dates to 1994 and has been widely criticized for numerous accuracy issues. They also missed an opportunity by never releasing the short nose variants, An F-4J at the revell price point may have done very well with all the colorful markings options.   I am not sure who the best company would be for this kit, I always figured it would be a slam dunk for Trumpeter back when they were churning out 1/32 scale kits in the 2000s, but it seems Trumpeter is really hit or miss, the good kits are good, but when they mess up they really get criticized. So Maybe this is something Tamiya could revisit with an all new kit, or maybe Zoukei Mura.  

What say you?

I've always been surprised that despite having been licence-built by Agusta for Italian service, Italeri haven't (yet?) given us an AS-61R/HH-3F...

....the ancient Aurora, Lindberg and Revell HH-3 kits are way overdue a modern replacement - meaning that as well as their domestic and European markets for the Italian SAR version in both colourful original and later tactical schemes, there would, of course, be the worldwide market for a couple of re-boxings...

....the classic Vietnam-era USAF HH-3E Jolly Green Giant in SEA camouflage could also come with alternative CH-3C and/or E markings; and then there's the USCG Pelican, which would go nicely with the HH-60J which has been in Italeri's catalogue for quite some time...

My opinion is that the F-86 is in dire need of an up-to-date refresh in both 1/48 and 1/32.  I have the repackaged Hasegawa kit from Eduard, dubbed the 'Ultimate  Sabre', which it clearly is not.  The 1/48 Hasegawa kit, is, I believe, a 1996 vintage, and, certainly 24 years of plastic molding improvements could end up being used to create a fabulous new F-86.  I don't even so much care about which variant, though I know many folks out there DO care very much about specific variants which haven't been done.  I think the latest 1/32 version is a Kinetic F-86F-30 from about the mid 2000s, which, from my reading, even back then had less than ideal surface detail and a poor cockpit.  

So, my vote would be a new tooled F-86 in 1/48 by Eduard, and a new tooling F-86 in 1/32 by Tamiya.  I think, like the 1/48 P-38F/G and H that Tamiya just came out with in 2019/20, and will HOPEFULLY be followed up with a J/L variant soon, a new F-86 would be a money maker.  The F-86, particularly Korean War/MiG Alley variants, are perennial favorites, and I think it's a safe assumption to make that modelers like me, even if they already have a particular variant in their stash, if offered a newly tooled, state of the art version of one of their favorite airplanes, would likely spend the dollars to bring the new one into their collection. 

8 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

In recent years many new manufacturers have emerged, and released new kits of subjects which were due for a refresh. Recent examples are the HK models 1/48 B-17G , The AFV club 1/48 U-2, and the forthcoming Revell 1/48 SR-71.

What are other subjects due for a new kit which is currently only filled by an older kit? This is not a wish list request, but a discussion of subjects which are in need of a modern kit, and why you might think it would be a good investment for a manufacturer.

I think the F-4 in all variants is due for a new kit in 1/32.  The Tamiya kit was released in 1995 and has lots of known quirks. the Revell kit dates to 1994 and has been widely criticized for numerous accuracy issues. They also missed an opportunity by never releasing the short nose variants, An F-4J at the revell price point may have done very well with all the colorful markings options.   I am not sure who the best company would be for this kit, I always figured it would be a slam dunk for Trumpeter back when they were churning out 1/32 scale kits in the 2000s, but it seems Trumpeter is really hit or miss, the good kits are good, but when they mess up they really get criticized. So Maybe this is something Tamiya could revisit with an all new kit, or maybe Zoukei Mura.  

What say you?

I think this is a great thread topic!

I've always wondered about the costs involved in developing a new model kit.  And I'm talking about the entire, broad set of costs involved, from the costs to pay the engineers/CAD designers and/or other researchers, the costs to create new, state-of-the-art molds, development/research costs for decals, and how much they have to pay top-end decal makes like Cartograph, the cost of the raw plastic and other materials like brass for photo etch, the box artwork, and other packaging costs, etc., etc., PLUS the costs to ship and distribute, on and on... What is the total per kit cost for a new 1/48 for example, airplane kit? How many kits does a manufacturer have to sell to reach a break-even status for that model?  It's all fascinating to me, and I wish I had a clue about the answers to these and more, similar questions...

Not sure that the HK B-17G was that much of an improvement with those too high outer nacelles and high price, and the AFV Club U-2 is a bit of a dumpster fire with the various issues, some of which remain in the later releases.  But there are definitely some kits that need to be redone.

Definitely need a new tool 1/35 AH-64 and AH-1G to replace the ancient Revell kits.  I know that Revell kits were 1/32, but these days 1/35 is the common scale for military helos, and it’s not likely to go back to 1/32.

I would love to see more of the classic Monogram 1/48 line brought up to modern levels.  When I think about their line, there has already been a pretty fair amount of new tool kits issued that cover older Monogram subjects.  But a few remain that could be improved.  My first thought is that the B-26 Marauder and B-24 Liberator would really be popular new tool kits.  Throw in the SB2C Helldiver.   In jets, I'd like to see new F-102s (with a TF-102) and because I'm greedy, a new B-58 Hustler without Monogram's niggles. 

And I'll second the sentiment previously discussed about finishing certain series that have been left undone.  The early F-86s, photo Crusaders, early AD-4 Skyraiders, etc.  Lots of good stuff out there to be refreshed.

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister
correction
3 hours ago, 11bee said:

35th UH-1D/H Huey (preferably not by Kitty Hawk), 32nd F6F Hellcat and F-86 Saber.

I'll tell you I'm building their SH-60B right know.  It may not snap together like Tamiya, but it ain't bad the detail is outstanding! I don't know what you'd add in an aftermarket detail set.

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

I'll tell you I'm building their SH-60B right know.  It may not snap together like Tamiya, but it ain't bad the detail is outstanding! I don't know what you'd add in an aftermarket detail set.

Only major issue is the crappy recessed rivets which in 32nd scale are totally unacceptable.  Might as well go with raised panel lines while they were at it.  

5 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Only major issue is the crappy recessed rivets which in 32nd scale are totally unacceptable.  Might as well go with raised panel lines while they were at it.  

I've never been under one in person, but based on pictures like this...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-underside-view-of-sh-2-seasprite-helicopter-coronado-island-north-21009338.html

...they look the part to me. 

3 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

Throw in the SB2C Helldiver.  

I think model manufacturers would be hard pressed to make a significant improvement on Monogram's revamped Helldiver.

1 hour ago, Cameron Lynch said:

1/48 A-10A and A-10C

1/48 AH-1G Vietnam Cobra

1/48 F-80C Shooting Star (deserves better than HobbyBoss POS)

1/48 Blenheim IV

1/48 Halifax

1/72 B-29

gotta agree with you about the Blenheim IV! I'd like a new tool Spitfire MK. Vb and a Spitfire MK.XII in 1/32, but just as much as the Spits I want new Hurricanes in 32nd scale. 

How about:

1. an F100d in 1/48th?

2. a new B26 Marauder in quarter scale

3. A 32nd scale A37

4. a new Lysander SD in 1/32!!

5. a new B24 series in 48th scale with all them covered

gary

Some personal interests, all 1/48th scale:

Mirage F1 - sadly, Kittyhawk did not do it justice, lots of accuracy issues and the only other option is the old Italeri kit.

Gripen - again, Kittyhawk disappointed, accuracy, detail and engineering issues while the old Italeri kit is pretty crude.

De Havilland Vampire - so many different versions and colour schemes, yet there really is no state-of-the-art 1/48th scale kit.

MiG-23 - very important aircraft historically, lots of decal options, but the Trumpeter kits have issues and again, the only other option is the very old Italeri kit.

Su-15 - again, a very important aircraft historically but the only real option today is the Trumpeter kit with lots of accuracy problems.

MiG-15 - I'm still surprised that Eduard never scaled up their 1/72nd scale MiG-15.

A-10C - I'm surprised that there is no real cutting edge, modern kit of this aircraft in 1/48th scale.