Soviet Hardened Aircraft Shelter drawings?

Hi,

I'd like to build a typical soviet hardened aircraft shelter (you know, the ones that were scattered around air bases in eastern europe covered with earth a trees on top). I don't need the full shelter, just the facade (with doors closed) to display an aircraft in front of it. Do you know where can I find scale drawings or at least measurements?

Thanks

Edited by Yuri
a couple of notes:
1. There is no such thing as THE Warpac shelter, many countries have made modifications. The mentioned (very recommendable)
 cardboard kit provides e.g. a Polish shelter with completely different gates than in other countries.
2. On the picture of the ebay seller you can see self-made gates and numerous other modifications.
3. How do I know? I built it, the picture was stolen by the seller ....😡
Edited by Floggerman

Yes I know that kit, but apart from the fact I don't like lasercut cardboard, I only need the facade (mainly the doors and little else) so I didn't want to buy a full kit, but I could make it with plasticard and so on.

Btw, nice kit Floggerman

On 10/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, Yuri said:

I'd like to build a typical soviet hardened aircraft shelter (you know, the ones that were scattered around air bases in eastern europe covered with earth a trees on top). I don't need the full shelter, just the facade (with doors closed) to display an aircraft in front of it. Do you know where can I find scale drawings or at least measurements?

I think you will enjoy this page:

https://lothar-schlueter-modellbau.de/index.php/de/modellverzeichnis/21-bogendeckungen-und-schelter

He built four different Warpac shelters, two Soviet, two East-German. You also need to check his build reports, that are separate from the articles above:

https://lothar-schlueter-modellbau.de/index.php/de/modellbauablaeufe

If you search on 'Bogendeckung' you will find lots more photos.

Soviet shelters in East-Germany were designated AU-11, AU-13, AU-16 and AU-19, the number indicating the diameter. Which do you want to build?

Rob

Hi Rob, interesting page (took a look also at yours, by the way, always interesting).

I think the correct shelter for a MiG-29 would be the AU-16. I also have the Rote Platze book quoted by Lothar and used the same 3view drawings to guess some measures. According to the book, the AU-16 should be 15,8 meters wide and this should bring the doors to a total width of 19 meters, more o less. I even used Google Earth to measure some of the visible doors of some of the surviving shelters in former soviet bases in GDR and a 19 meters width seems accurate.

Edited by Yuri
2 hours ago, Yuri said:

Hi Rob, interesting page (took a look also at yours, by the way, always interesting).

I think the correct shelter for a MiG-29 would be the AU-16. I also have the Rote Platze book quoted by Lothar and used the same 3view drawings to guess some measures. According to the book, the AU-16 should be 15,8 meters wide and this should bring the doors to a total width of 19 meters, more o less. I even used Google Earth to measure some of the visible doors of some of the surviving shelters in former soviet bases in GDR and a 19 meters width seems accurate.

Google Earth indeed works pretty well for shelter measurements, I've done that too for my TAB-VEE page.

What more data do you need to build an AU-16? If you have 'Rote Platze' (congrats!) I think you already have the best there is, combined with the many many photos on the internet and Google Earth. The next step would be measuring one yourself, there still are plenty :-)

Theoretically a MiG-29 should fit an AU-13 I think. If the diameter was 12.8 m, appr. 12.2 m is available in width at the wing tip level, so the 11.36 m span MiG-29 should fit. I remember quite a few air bases with the MiG-29s not fitting their shelters. For example Kothen, but those were AU-11s according to 'Rote Platze'.

I found some more good stuff here, all in German again:

https://www.heimatgalerie.de/unterwegs/3d-modelle/48-3d-modell-8-bautyp-au.html

Your question make me dream a nice resin kit of one of these shelters 🙂 But they would be huge and expensive too..

Rob

16 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Google Earth indeed works pretty well for shelter measurements, I've done that too for my TAB-VEE page.

What more data do you need to build an AU-16? If you have 'Rote Platze' (congrats!) I think you already have the best there is, combined with the many many photos on the internet and Google Earth. The next step would be measuring one yourself, there still are plenty :-)

Theoretically a MiG-29 should fit an AU-13 I think. If the diameter was 12.8 m, appr. 12.2 m is available in width at the wing tip level, so the 11.36 m span MiG-29 should fit. I remember quite a few air bases with the MiG-29s not fitting their shelters. For example Kothen, but those were AU-11s according to 'Rote Platze'.

I found some more good stuff here, all in German again:

https://www.heimatgalerie.de/unterwegs/3d-modelle/48-3d-modell-8-bautyp-au.html

Your question make me dream a nice resin kit of one of these shelters 🙂 But they would be huge and expensive too..

Rob

Well, looking with Google Earth some former bases have been totally dismantled, some converted in solar farms (but with some of the shelters still in place) and some other still remain, it would be worth a tour when (if) we survive the covid...

Talking about the diorama instead, I won't build the whole shelter (too big), but only the facade as a background. I plan to use eulithe (poliurethan rigid foam) for the front wall and pvc foam for the doors, while the "hill" behind the front wall would just be a piece of xps modelled with a hot wire (for just a some cm of depth) and covered with static grass.