is there a model model build thread (example to follow)?

Can you guys think of one or two build thread examples here or elsewhere that exemplifies and portrays the key steps to completing a build?  can you post a link to it for me to incorporate steps into my next build?

a thread that pictures steps?

here's what comes to mind for me right now: 

open kit and gaze upon its beauty and marvel at the details / feeling good inside

research and gather pics for reference of desired/chosen build

wash kit to clean release mold agents

paint items on sprue (aghhh!  there's now an airbrush in play, there's primer mentioned, there's shading employed...) never done that before

scraping paint off of surfaces to be glued together (is there a glue now that doesn't care?)

assemble painted items and continue detail painting

fly partially built fuselage around the house while making sound effects laying fire on the enemy cat

and / or assemble parts in a modular fashion to continue productivity

masking

painting

decal application

detail wash additions

scribing/riveting  (now I'm completely out of my element)...

follow what I'm asking?

thanks for any input!

Edited by Bounce
1 hour ago, Bounce said:

scraping paint off of surfaces to be glued together (is there a glue now that doesn't care?)

Yes, and I can't remember what it is and the magazines are either deeply buried in storage or given away.

It was in the model train realm a few years ago.

Someone was scratchbuilding out of styrene a small wooden station, aka depot, in N scale, 1/160 scale, 

and painted a lot of the siding and trim bits before gluing them to the substructure.

Comment was made and a name was named for a solvent which would adhere the plastic even with the paint being there.

It was in this magazine, http://www.nscalemagazine.com/

And I'm pretty certain it was model of a Louisville and Nashville depot.

Sorry that that's all I can tell you.

Edited by southwestforests

I still think that "How to Build Plastic Aircraft Models", by Roscoe Creed and published by Kalmbach, to be a very good basic instruction manual on what it takes to build a decent model.  It's not completely up-to-date with the latest products and fad techniques, but is strong on the basics.  It was published back in the 80s, but shouldn't be too hard to find a copy second hand.  The ISBN is 0-89024-065-5.

I think this is an EXCELLENT post!  I've seen so many articles both in magazines and online where someone shows their cockpit all glued up but not a single bit of paint on it.  Next thing you know, they're showing a picture of the cockpit completely painted.  They never EVER state how they went from one stage to the next.  I look at it and I can't help but think "How did they paint all the minute details after everything was already assembled?"  The person never states if they're just showing the unpainted cockpit sort of held together by friction and then they take it all apart, paint it, then glue it back together afterwards.  You never see anyone scraping paint away even though everyone tells you to do so before gluing two pieces together.

Eric

On 10/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, Falconxlvi said:

PLASMO channel on YouTube!  You will learn soooo much!

Steve

Yep. Ive recently (this is embarrassing, but I've been out of the hobby for a few years now) discovered Youtube model how to videos. 

No comparison to articles or build threads. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then a video is worth 100 pictures. I can't tell you how many "aha! thats how its done" moments (yes I'm that thickheaded) 

I've been watching "Scaleaton" on Youtube, and hes extra helpful because he has captions and I can't always listen with volume on. 

Not to add additional input of non-value, but I concur with the recommendations for Plasmo and Scale-a-ton on YouTube, but I would also recommend, also on YouTube, Doog's Models.  Matt on Doog's does a lot of individual components of builds, but also does some EXTREMELY in depth beginning to end builds over multiple videos, such as for a 1/48 P-47M and a 1/32 Intruder.  I can't recommend his videos enough if you want to learn!

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

Not to add additional input of non-value, but I concur with the recommendations for Plasmo and Scale-a-ton on YouTube, but I would also recommend, also on YouTube, Doog's Models.  Matt on Doog's does a lot of individual components of builds, but also does some EXTREMELY in depth beginning to end builds over multiple videos, such as for a 1/48 P-47M and a 1/32 Intruder.  I can't recommend his videos enough if you want to learn!

He does great work, but I'm a bit put off by the language and attitude. Is it like that on his YouTube stuff? 

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Not to add additional input of non-value, but I concur with the recommendations for Plasmo and Scale-a-ton on YouTube, but I would also recommend, also on YouTube, Doog's Models.

One evening my son (about 8 years old at the time) and I were watching a Plasmo video when a Doog's Models video was recommended, so we naturally started watching that one. The guy's language had my son's eyes wide within the first minute and I was faced with the inevitable "Pappa, what did he just say"? I suppose to a lot of people that type of thing doesn't matter at all, but personally I cannot stand it and, furthermore, at that point I didn't see any warning accompanying the videos. I have no idea how good or bad his videos are otherwise; if it was only that bad in that particular video and whether a language warning now accompanies them. But at the time I was not impressed. As I said, it is a personal dislike and maybe there is a lot to learn from his videos, but at least be aware - especially if you are like me and sometimes watch these types of videos with one of your kids to look for new ideas.

Don't really like  to toot my own horn, but I have started a Youtube channel that has some basic "how to" videos as well as some time lapse of my builds. Slowly adding more content as I have the time.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChXN05Si3lMMG13HwAKSCBw

my "Tips & Tricks" playlist: 

Sean

Wow, sorry to have mentioned Doog's without the language warning.  That kind of thing doesn't bother me at all, and I feel if you don't like certain langue, or even outlook, as espoused by a particular individual anywhere, whether it be radio, TV, Youtube, etc., then don't watch.  However, I do feel bad about making the recommendation and not mentioning that aspect of his videos.  It simply didn't occur to me to bring it up.  Say what you will about Matt's style, he IS a spectacular modeler, and has really amazing techniques to demonstrate, and also has a lot of insight into the model industry.  He has  very strong opinions about certain modeling staples, such as 'in-box reviews'.  He thinks they are worthless, and I couldn't agree more.  Regardless of how well a model's parts are molded or its instructions read, if you don't put it together to be able to evaluate its engineering and fit, a review is pointless.  To him, and to me. 

I happen to find his presentation refreshing, but that's me.

@martin_sam_20...:  Good luck with your Youtube channel.  There are already a ton of 'how to' modeling channels out there, but everyone deserves a chance, and your presentation style may strike a chord with a new group of viewers, or even folks who have been watching others.  I tend to look around to see who can give me the best insight into whatever aspect of modeling I'm looking for at a given time.  

Edited by Curt B
5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

He does great work, but I'm a bit put off by the language and attitude. Is it like that on his YouTube stuff? 

As I noted in my just prior post, the answer is yes.  That's just the way Matt is.  He says it like he sees it, and that's just him.  So, if you go looking on his Youtube channel, expect all of his videos to present whatever topic in that same manner.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, chukw said:

You can check out my build threads at my blog: http://chukw.blogspot.com/

I describe my process in detail, with plenty of captioned photos and some amusing artwork.

Thanks for looking!

MiG21_133.jpg

ChukW does some of the best build threads out there, indeed. Highly recommended, and I learned so much while having a lot of fun too 

I learnt quite a bit about black-basing from Doog's channel.  He goes in-depth about the techniques he uses .

Glad Chukw's builds are mentioned too. His Helldiver and Me-410 builds are the stuff of legends :thumbsup:  Learnt quite a bit about aftermarket resin preparation and scratchbuilding/improvisation from his builds. 

You might try googling TheRealMrEd and follow a link to any of the models that come up.  Almost all have a detailed build, lots of pics and cover a whole lot of basis ideas on kit-building, which is the reason I do the build threads in the first place.  Some of the models are here on ARC as well, with links to the build threads...

Ed

I forgot to add one more Youtube guy who does some seriously amazing stuff.  Look up Will Pattison.  He does a variety of basic techniques and goes into some incredible detail about how to do some stunning details (this stuff is wayyyyyyyy beyond basic modeling techniques) but may be something you want to look at after you've gotten some of the more basic details addressed.  He does not have the same style or presence that Doog's does (no profanity), but he does, in my opinion, take a long time to get to some of the points he makes.  

However, the beauty of Youtube is that you can skip ahead if you find him getting bogged down into things that don't necessarily interest you.  The same, of course. goes for anyone with posted material on Youtube.

Edited by Curt B