I’d buy and build more than one, especially as I work on the U.K. ones with Bristow😁

I guess it’s the old chestnut regarding licensing, greedy corporate suits with deep pockets.

6 hours ago, Wafu said:

I’d buy and build more than one, especially as I work on the U.K. ones with Bristow😁

I guess it’s the old chestnut regarding licensing, greedy corporate suits with deep pockets.

Strictly speaking, it's company legal departments trying to add a claim of revenue potential to the annual justification of their budget as well reminding executive management of their ongoing aggressive actions to protect the companies brand. There's no revenue to speak of.

6 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Strictly speaking, it's company legal departments trying to add a claim of revenue potential to the annual justification of their budget as well reminding executive management of their ongoing aggressive actions to protect the companies brand. There's no revenue to speak of.

Well that’s me corrected then😉

Edited by Wafu
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Helo-Engineer said:

A real shame. I am the production S92 Manufacturing Engineer and SME within Sikorsky/Lockheed. I’ve personally worked on close to 100 of them. Korean Coast Guard

I'm sure the Cyclones were cool to build huh? Hopefully more Countries pick it up especially in Asia...... which probably would prompt a kit... fingers crossed.

andyf117, that’s the one I’ve been working on today. Leaking Tail gearbox input shaft seal. That and GZ are the two we have at Newquay.

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

A kit would certainly be good - I see this one almost daily:

DGy4vwaWsAkklWE.jpg

That’s the one I’ve been working on today, leaking tail input seal, not an uncommon fault on the 92.

CHC fly them here in Ireland on a Coastguard contract too. It's the loudest helicopter I have ever heard when flying towards you! You can hear it a for at least a minute before it becomes a speck on the horizon. I've read that the cockpit is one of the noisiest in the business and pilots are pretty much guaranteed some hearing loss as a result. A kit of it would be nice, all the same.

LD.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Emvar said:

I'm sure the Cyclones were cool to build huh? Hopefully more Countries pick it up especially in Asia...... which probably would prompt a kit... fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

CHC fly them here in Ireland on a Coastguard contract too. It's the loudest helicopter I have ever heard when flying towards you! You can hear it a for at least a minute before it becomes a speck on the horizon. I've read that the cockpit is one of the noisiest in the business and pilots are pretty much guaranteed some hearing loss as a result. A kit of it would be nice, all the same.

LD.

They certainly are noisy. The CH-148 Cyclone is a bit worse though. I used to fly on them without an interior. 

The cyclones are similar, but under the panels they are completely different aircraft. Amazing amount of tech in them and the first fielded fly-by-wire aircraft.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, Helo-Engineer said:

They certainly are noisy. The CH-148 Cyclone is a bit worse though. I used to fly on them without an interior. 

The cyclones are similar, but under the panels they are completely different aircraft. Amazing amount of tech in them and the first fielded fly-by-wire aircraft.

The NH-90 was flying-by-wire 10 years before Suckorsky got the Canadians on the hook with the Sicklone.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Helo-Engineer said:

Right, I meant first North American certified fly-by-wire helicopter. Sorry about that.

Sorry to continue busting your chops, but the Canadian Sicklone is a military helicopter and as such is not civilian certificated by the FAA.

Got to wait for either the AW609 or the Bell 525 to get one of those.

13 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Sorry to continue busting your chops, but the Canadian Sicklone is a military helicopter and as such is not civilian certificated by the FAA.

Got to wait for either the AW609 or the Bell 525 to get one of those.

Yeah, I forgot about the whole issue with the FAA and FBW. It should have gotten certification, but ended up not going through so now it is DCMA only.

Edited by Helo-Engineer

the Bell 214ST had Fly By Wire too, not the entire control system, but partially. it worked very well. And was at least 10 years before the NH-90...

Also the NH-90 is WILDLY unavailable to most if not all users...

On 1/5/2021 at 1:38 AM, Winnie said:

the Bell 214ST had Fly By Wire too, not the entire control system, but partially. it worked very well. And was at least 10 years before the NH-90...

Also the NH-90 is WILDLY unavailable to most if not all users...

Bell 214 RFM other than the electrical control of the horizontal stabilizer there is no fly-by-wire in the 214.

Edited by hemspilot
Added text.
On 1/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, hemspilot said:

Bell 214 RFM other than the electrical control of the horizontal stabilizer there is no fly-by-wire in the 214.

Still it's considered FBW.

It controls the pitch to maintain a level cabin at all speeds and all CG's, works real well. Obviously when you flare etc the nose will pitch up and down.

I flew it for years.

14 hours ago, Winnie said:

Still it's considered FBW.

It controls the pitch to maintain a level cabin at all speeds and all CG's, works real well. Obviously when you flare etc the nose will pitch up and down.

I flew it for years.

Whatever floats your boat.

Real fbw is not that, if that was fbw it would not take the feds all this time to certify the 525, the 214ST was never considered fbw.

Let me give you an example, electric elevator trim and autotrim in a Falcon 900 does not make the Falcon 900 a FBW airplane, the Falcon 7X on the other hand, is a FBW controlled airplane, where flight crew control inputs go through a computer that modulates the input to the electric flight control surfaces actuators, partially or completely replacing the hydraulic components.

Electric elevator trim control in a Piper Seminole does not make it ito a FBW controlled aircraft.

On a different subject, I have been flying helicopters for 35 years and I was always intrigued by the 214ST, its main rotor blades having a chord similar to the one for a small airplane wing, its (reported) smoothness and its speed performance.

Saw them many times back when I was flying in the GoM with PHI.

Edited by hemspilot

It's not electric trim, it's done by the flight control comuter, and your only input is to lock them by turning the system off. So whether you want it to be or not, it is FLY BY WIRE, now as I said before it's not an entire system, it's the horizontal stab only. but again it IS FBW. modest as it is. and though I don't have 35 years, I got 23, so I  should be ok, 4 years on the 214ST, a few on the 212, some on the 135 . 

The 214ST is THE smoothest helicopter I've flown, and it'd cruise 5 kts below VNe all day long. 155KIAS.