On 1/13/2021 at 9:51 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Did they keep the inflight tracking feature with an electric motor on one pitch link?

Yes, awesome system, and it actually worked really well, as some blades fly different at different speeds! The air data computer also calculates the Never exceed speed continuously so you can pull power to 5 below VNE and sit there all day, it has a flashing light to warn when you are within 5 KIAS of max. It's no S-92, but it's a fantastic machine and an unfortunate mistake by the Okanagan crew killed it for offshore work...

On 1/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, Winnie said:

Yes, awesome system, and it actually worked really well, as some blades fly different at different speeds! The air data computer also calculates the Never exceed speed continuously so you can pull power to 5 below VNE and sit there all day, it has a flashing light to warn when you are within 5 KIAS of max. It's no S-92, but it's a fantastic machine and an unfortunate mistake by the Okanagan crew killed it for offshore work...

One drawback, at least early on: the effectiveness of inflight tracking was different depending on where you sat in the cabin. On my first flight in a 214ST (going to Houston, Lafayette, and elsewhere for demonstrations), I was sitting behind the pilot. As we reached cruise, he was bouncing a bit so he reached back and up to the overhead console and toggled the tracking switch until he wasn't bouncing. The crew chief who was along had been back aft in the cabin for some reason. When he sat back down in a middle seat, he was bouncing a bit so he leaned forward and toggled the switch to smooth out his ride, unbeknownst to the pilot, who started to bounce again and looked around in confusion.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:32 PM, K5054NZ said:

Thanks to this thread I got to watching a ton of S92 videos on YouTube and now I want one in 1/72! A very impressive machine.

Same here!!

On 1/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, Winnie said:

... an unfortunate mistake by the Okanagan crew killed it for offshore work...

?? What happened?

Sorry for continuing the thread drift, but man, would I love a kit of the 214ST!!!

1 hour ago, GeejeeZ said:

?? What happened?

Sorry for continuing the thread drift, but man, would I love a kit of the 214ST!!!

Okanagan had an accident outside of St. John's that killed everyone on board, then they did a test flight trying out a hypothesis, and likely nailed it, and two more people got killed. and thus it killed the ST for offshore work...

The pilots turned both inverters off which left the horizontal stabilator free floating at high speed, it pitched the helicopter forward which led to a mast bumping scenario and that was that

Thanks for the reply Winnie. Man, what a tragedy...!

Ofcourse the 214ST with its twin blade design must be susceptible to mast bumping as well. Somehow I always thought that phenomenon was only for the smaller Bell's; 212's, 205's and 206's.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 3:54 AM, Brad-M said:

I have sent Trumpeter/Hobby Boss 100's of photo's of the RCAF CH-148 Cyclone (Militarized S92), so who knows in the future!

Whoa,,,!!! Ofcourse nothing certain yet, but man does this fuel my dreams of an S-92 kit!

On 4/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, Brad-M said:

I have sent Trumpeter/Hobby Boss 100's of photo's of the RCAF CH-148 Cyclone (Militarized S92), so who knows in the future!

Hopefully won't take as long as it took Canada to get the real aircraft.

1 hour ago, hemspilot said:

Hopefully won't take as long as it took Canada to get the real aircraft.

What? 30 years is too long to wait after calls for tender?

• 1 month later...