Any advice for coming back after a long layoff?

A week before kid-2 was born I packed up my workbench, and boxed up my projects and that was nearly 3.5 years ago now. I'm starting to kind of dust some old boxes off and the wheels have started turning again, so that brings me to:

Any advice for coming back after a few years gone? This isn't my first "dark ages" but I'm not the best builder and any advice is helpful. 

I have actually started a notebook and made some notes about why my models took so long to complete in the past. I'm not that anal retentive normally, but man I'm realizing how inefficient I am at building 

When you figure it out, let me know. I packed up a few years ago due to a high work load, and then we had a cross country PCS. Two years later, Im just now getting back into it. However, I dont have the drive to go at it for several hour stints like I used to. Partly because I dont have a dedicated area, and the chair I am using is uncomfortable. It probably dont help that I am working on someone elses glue bomb that I got from ebay. I figured it would be easier to "practice" on a half bungled kit, than to bungle a kit I really wanted to build. 

Take it slow, only build when you feel like it, don't force yourself to do it.  Do some easy kits to get your mojo, something you like and the kit is easy to build.  Don't jump right into a complicated project.  I accidently did that when I returned and it burned me out.  Also, similar kits, usually mean less $$$, so you won't feel like you're wasiting money if you don't work on it or it doesn't come out exactly what you envisioned.  

Get a small (1/72 or 1/48 prop) monotone color Tamiya aircraft or Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog (still can be had for almost original price and OD rattle can to paint). Do no research and build out of the box. The ease of construction and paint should help rebuild confidence and rediscover the fun. 

HTH

I came back to the hobby after about a 35 year break.  Obviously, the hobby had TOTALLY changed over that time, including aftermarket stuff, photo etch, detail level, metal tracks for AFVs, on and on.  When I was little, I used to build airplanes, and I thought, when I decided to get back into the hobby, that I'd just start back with planes.  After I saw all the details available, and bought an airplane as my first kit (the Academy F-22, with an Aries cockpit, etc., for detail) I realized I was way out of my element.  So I decided to start by building some AFVs (tanks), which, to my way of thinking, were less demanding than airplanes (the joints between parts not being nearly as critical as on aircraft, to my way of thinking, anyway).  Maybe consider one or two 1/35 tanks to 'limber up' the old modeling skills, and practice the new (to you, perhaps) photo etch process.

Edited by Curt B

I'll echo what some others said: build something easy(ish) and enjoyable. Don't get something that will require 10 kids of aftermarket sets or a new set of tools. I recommend things like tanks, or the Bandai Star Wars kits. They're snap-together kits, technically, but they're some of the finest kits I've seen. I also wouldn't recommend something that requires you to buy all new paints. If you still have some, great. If not, you can start small with a paint selection.

I took a 13 year break from 2004 - 2017.  Work, Life, and AMS caused it to happen.  Coming back was hard.  I had to start over and rebuild my skills to get back where they had been.  I'm sort of back there now, but there's still work to be done.  I would take a more aggressive approach to getting back into it.  I sort of eased into and it felt like I was slowly pulling a band-aid off. 

Similar to what you mentioned about making notes, I did spend time thinking about how I could approach this hobby in a more constructive way.  The biggest issue I identified was build paralysis, which would cause me to stall out on a project.  Learning to really grit my teeth and power through my builds has been the biggest help.      

1 hour ago, sigtau said:

I took a 13 year break from 2004 - 2017.  Work, Life, and AMS caused it to happen.  Coming back was hard.  I had to start over and rebuild my skills to get back where they had been.  I'm sort of back there now, but there's still work to be done.  I would take a more aggressive approach to getting back into it.  I sort of eased into and it felt like I was slowly pulling a band-aid off. 

Similar to what you mentioned about making notes, I did spend time thinking about how I could approach this hobby in a more constructive way.  The biggest issue I identified was build paralysis, which would cause me to stall out on a project.  Learning to really grit my teeth and power through my builds has been the biggest help.      

Really, this is where I am at now.

Arthritis is going to limit what scales I can build, but going slow and getting over the speed bumps is my major hurdle right now.

Building a simple (LOL) DC-9 in 1/144 taught me that I need to move up to 1/72.

Welcome back, above all, enjoy the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

My take on this... I build only 48th aircraft and used to go flat out for accuracy and max details, but post-40 eyesight and scarcer model time have had me transition towards less resin, less PE, and less AMS overall.   That last part is such a blessing to be rid of - I have rediscovered the 'hobby' and that I don't give a rat's behind about what someone opines about a myriad of things.  I can actually get projects done.  The signal to noise ratio on these forums can be low however.   Good luck in your approach, it's been golden years lately in the resurgence of kits and techniques.

Plus one for me on many of the points others have made. I am working on getting back into gear after a five-year break. Divorce, major depression, cross country move, and struggling to get myself back into a position of financial security. I kept all my models, books,  and supplies in storage with the intention of selling everything off on e-Bay, but realized a few months ago that I really wanted to get back into the hobby. Like you, I reflected on my previous model building "productivity" if you will, and discovered that my greatest desire was to get to the painting/markings phase, but I often got bogged down in the "engineering" phase - spending too much effort on trying to correct this or that deficiency in the kit, or adding extra detail. Consequently burnout on a project was a frequent result. So my promise to myself for the time being is to pick a kit with good fit and detail (1/32 scale AC for me- so that means recent Hasegawa or Tamiya kits), and spend less time on engineering and more on finishing. If you decide to go the armor route, I highly recommend the newer Tamiya kits. They generally have excellent fit with decent detail and a much lower parts count than many of the other manufacturers. 

Hang in there, pick a kit and just build it. I think the majority of folks on the forums can certainly empathize with your situation, and will be more than happy to offer encouragement and advice if you need it.

Cheers and best regards,

Rockie

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, Curt B said:

I came back to the hobby after about a 35 year break.  Obviously, the hobby had TOTALLY changed over that time, including aftermarket stuff, photo etch, detail level, metal tracks for AFVs, on and on.  When I was little, I used to build airplanes, and I thought, when I decided to get back into the hobby, that I'd just start back with planes.  After I saw all the details available, and bought an airplane as my first kit (the Academy F-22, with an Aries cockpit, etc., for detail) I realized I was way out of my element.  So I decided to start by building some AFVs (tanks), which, to my way of thinking, were less demanding than airplanes (the joints between parts not bing nearly as critical as on aircraft).  Maybe consider one or two 1/35 tanks to 'limber up' the old modeling skills, and practice the new (to you, perhaps) photo etch process.

Hi Curt, I'm also a returning modeller, after 20 years, so know how you feel. The first thing is to get the tools. Also follow David here for the F-22. 

Finally, would you have the HH tail decals? I'm looking for them, for my set which I want to make for Hawaii. But my set doesn't have those decals.

Thanks

12 hours ago, dattaray said:

Hi Curt, I'm also a returning modeller, after 20 years, so know how you feel. The first thing is to get the tools. Also follow David here for the F-22. 

Finally, would you have the HH tail decals? I'm looking for them, for my set which I want to make for Hawaii. But my set doesn't have those decals.

Thanks

Hey there!  I'll take a look for Hawaii tail codes, but I seriously doubt if I have them...I'd kind of like to make a Hawaiian F-22 myself, now that you've mentioned it!  But I will let you have those tail codes if I have them.  In the 12 years or so since I've restarted the hobby, I have acquired an insane amount of modeling 'stuff'.  Every kind of tool and paint, many airbrushes (6 or 7, I think), and it still never seems like it's enough.  There are still individual items, tools, etc., which I still need to get on a 'one or two' basis.  I think my days of needing a mass of particular 'stuff' may be over now, unless, perhaps, it's a set of paints for a particular airplane that I've not considered to this point.  I had that need with the most recent plane I've finished, a Japanese Zero, A6M5/5a, for which I had no set of paints.  Of course, I've always been stupid, and this time as no exception.  I ended up with several different paint brands to address the lack of paints.  You'd think I'd learn...  

Edited by Curt B

Get an easy kit and just finish it. I have young boys who want their ceilings covered in planes. Modern for the two younger and wwii for the oldest. Without worrying about time and effort in getting things right I’m able to try new techniques and new products.

A weak spot for me was figures so I bought some warhammer stuff to practice on and learn different methods of brush painting. It’s also easier with kids for me so I’m not always locked away in my office/hobby room.

44 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Hey there!  I'll take a look for Hawaii tail codes, but I seriously doubt if I have them...I'd kind of like to make a Hawaiian F-22 myself, now that you've mentioned it!  But I will let you have those tail codes if I have them.  In the 12 years or so since I've restarted the hobby, I have acquired an insane amount of modeling 'stuff'.  Every kind of tool and paint, many airbrushes (6 or 7, I think), and it still never seems like it's enough.  There are still individual items, tools, etc., which I still need to get on a 'one or two' basis.  I think my days of needing a mass of particular 'stuff' may be over now, unless, perhaps, it's a set of paints for a particular airplane that I've not considered to this point.  I had that need with the most recent plane I've finished, a Japanese Zero, A6M5/5a, for which I had no set of paints.  Of course, I've always been stupid, and this time as no exception.  I ended up with several different paint brands to address the lack of paints.  You'd think I'd learn...  

Thanks. Much appreciated. You and I are similar yet different. I modelled as a 10 year old, and now after 30 years, have to buy everything which is mainly after-market parts and a small selection of tools which does include one airbrush. Watching costs! Btw, is there any malleable stuff to model small new parts - like oxygen tanks for the cockpit? 

Do share pictures of your F-22!

On 2/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, dattaray said:

Thanks. Much appreciated. You and I are similar yet different. I modelled as a 10 year old, and now after 30 years, have to buy everything which is mainly after-market parts and a small selection of tools which does include one airbrush. Watching costs! Btw, is there any malleable stuff to model small new parts - like oxygen tanks for the cockpit? 

Do share pictures of your F-22!

As far as 'malleable stuff', the best I personally know about is epoxy.  I love the 'Green Stuff' that comes in a 'ribbon' of flexible 1/2 blue and 1/2 yellow, that you tear or cut off as much as you need, then knead the 2 colors together to get a sticky ball of green epoxy.  Once it has been 'made' into the final green product, you have many hours to work with it before it hardens into a solid, to use either as a glue for other parts, or to roll into paper thin sheets, which you can then use to make tarps (by rolling) or other sheet-like items for your models.  Or, you can sculpt it into other shapes, such as your O2 tanks.  The stickiness can be reduced by using water or baking soda.  It's great stuff.  

I haven't had a chance to check my decals yet, but will soon and will let you know.  And...it's gonna be awhile until I get to either my Academy or Hasegawa F-22s, but I'll post when I do!

Edited by Curt B