1/48 Hasegawa F-18C VFA-113

On 12/24/2020 at 11:02 PM, f5guy said:

You know it just never ceases to amaze me how clever and resourceful the human mind can be when it comes to solving a problem. And Janissary's trick with the marker pens and alcohol to get that sheen on the Hornets canopy is a prefect example of what I'm talking about! Bravo Janissary, I tip my hat to you.... well done! Fred K.

Thank you Fred. It was one of those things where I got lucky. I bought and tired many things like nail polish, acrylic craft paints, alclad chromatic etc. while I had these sharpies sitting around all along. 

Here is more work on the hornet. After the primer, I started with Hobby Aquous  H307 and H308, as well as Tamiya XF-80. I was really hoping to go heavy with the weathering, but the challenge has been how to do that without making it look sloppy. So, I decided to try something different and got to work with various Tamiya pastels and make up sets. I applied these using various brushes and applicators that come with the sets. My goal was to get an overall dirty look without doing much fine detail work. Kind of a broad stroke base was what I had in mind. I ended up doing some fine highlights here and there with the same sets, but not much. 

Then I post-shaded the model with lighter and darker tones of the base grays. Here is where it stands. the contrast and weathering is a little too exaggerated, but I wanted go overboard as the various clear coats tend to blend everything and suppress these extremes. Anyway, I think I've got something close to what I hoped for, so overall 'yay' for this new approach.

The next steps will be more detail work perhaps picking out a few more touchup spots, general grime and whatever happy accidents happen in the moment. Then gloss coat, future, wash, and oils.

But now I will pause this main body and start working on the externals and landing gear just so that everything progresses at the same rate. 

kRQCX73.jpg

2yLjcYt.jpg

7Nmuomy.jpg

DzfodzT.jpg

GvRxtDJ.jpg

ceB600V.jpg

H4YcXWn.jpg

Edited by Janissary

A Minwax fill stick !?!? Now that's something different, I LOVE those things and use them all the time for all my woodworking. I'm assuming it was used on the wing fold joints and the staining streaks ??

Steve

6 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

A Minwax fill stick !?!? Now that's something different, I LOVE those things and use them all the time for all my woodworking. I'm assuming it was used on the wing fold joints and the staining streaks ??

Steve

YEs, you got it, it's the Minwax stick. I actually did not use it on this model but I store it in the box with all my other dry weathering products, so it must have found its way on to the bench. For those oil staining, I used Tamiya pastels that has the bright orange/brown color and applied it with the set's applicator. I will do more of that after the decals, so this was just a, well, dry run :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, Janissary said:

Finally got to the priming stage. I started with a thin coat of Mr. Surfacer, then a coat of Tamiya XF-80. 

E4fj4uM.jpg

YFw9Ejo.jpg

5zi91Zr.jpg

37dC1jJ.jpg

I had a few questions about the ordnance. The build will be roughly around the 2014 timeframe. I want all to be training loads. 

- With the two GBU-12s, I want one to be all blue (like this one: https://www.asdnews.com/NewsImages/b/39580/39879_O.jpg or this one: https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImage/A1S7_1_201711101581030552.jpg). These would never come with thermal protective coating, can you confirm? Also, for the forward control section, would be possible to see both the gray and the green version loaded up?

- Are there training GPU-12s that are olive drab in color but might have a blue band? I can't find any examples of this. 

- Around that timeframe, would the Navy have all-blue Aim-9L/M or would they only come in LGG with the blue band?

BDU-45's (inert mk-82) are blue and smooth. There is no reason to have TP coating on an inert bomb. The guidance and control section, as well as the tail assembly would be the same as those used on live ordnance. 

No, the Navy and Marine Corps does not use inert ordnance that is green in color with a blue band.

Throughout my entire career, I never saw an inert AIM-9 that wasn't blue overall. 

On 1/9/2021 at 3:17 AM, kurnass77 said:

Literally love all of this model mate,especially the work on the walkways😍

Gianni:cheers:

Thank you Gianni! 

16 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

BDU-45's (inert mk-82) are blue and smooth. There is no reason to have TP coating on an inert bomb. The guidance and control section, as well as the tail assembly would be the same as those used on live ordnance. 

No, the Navy and Marine Corps does not use inert ordnance that is green in color with a blue band.

Throughout my entire career, I never saw an inert AIM-9 that wasn't blue overall. 

Thanks Dave, this is very helpful. One last question about ordnance. There will be a -9L, -9X, AIM-120, and an AGM-88. For these, I can't find good pictures of the exhausts. For the training versions, are the exhausts all blanked off with a flat cap (I think I saw one HARM that way) or are they in anyway different than a live version of each? 

Edited by Janissary
On 10/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, Janissary said:

Here is a little bit more about the canopy. I tried nail polish as well as an acrylic art paint. Both had a chromatic tint to them, but they did not work. Nail polish had large flakes, acrylic paint dulled up the canopy.

I came across these pigments on youtube:

UpeD88F.jpg

These are chromatic powders. My thinking was that the powder is so fine (which it is) that I could gently rub it in on the canopy, similar to smearing shaved lead pencil dust on paper. 

That rubbing did not work. The canopy is too shiny for the pigments to bite into. So, I tried spraying it. I mixed the powder with MLT. The powder stays suspended, but does not dissolve (tried other solvents too, nothing really worked). So I airbrushed the mixture, and it looked like this: 

7PYvoaR.jpg

Yes I went overboard there, but the flakes are too visible nonetheless. More importantly, when all is dry, I noticed that the powder actually has not bonded to the surface. A pass of a finger and it comes right off. I dipped the whole thing in future to see if it could be cover-protected. Future simply washed off everything. The powder is so weakly attached to the surface. So I started again. 

Gave the alcohol / Sharpie a shot. Airbrushed the mix from the bottom side. Once it is dry, it is solid. That gave me the purplish base tint. It is not chromatic, but works ok I guess. I did not dip that in Future. Then, I applied a very thin layer  of the MLT / powder mix from the bottom to give that hint of chromatic look. No future dip. That was the final result, and here is one more shot of where things currently are:

ofCGpzU.jpg

I don't think any of these steps would work well with brush painting. 

That looks great! 

How did you mix the Sharpie with IPA? Which colors have you used? Any of these? 

_20210111_205708.JPG

Edited by DanW

Thanks, I have a 12ct pack of Sharpies like this one: In there, I used the blue and purple capped ones shown below. There is no code but from your image, it must literally be the ones marked blue and purple. I added IPA in a cup, then dabbed the sharpie, which slowly releases its ink. Then did the other one until the color looked ok. Everything eye balled.  

Z8qL7zk.jpg

Edited by Janissary
1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Thanks, I have a 12ct pack of Sharpies like this one: In there, I used the blue and purple capped ones shown below. There is no code but from your image, it must literally be the ones marked blue and purple. I added IPA in a cup, then dabbed the sharpie, which slowly releases its ink. Then did the other one until the color looked ok. Everything eye balled.  

Z8qL7zk.jpg

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, shion said:

Really like the whole, technics and quality of the pics.

What oil color did you use for this wash, is it a mix? The slightly purple shift really suits with the hornet TPS.

Thanks, for the oils I used a mix of the colors here:

https://i.imgur.com/NwBjLOM.jpg

I think the Payne's gray may have shifted the color slightly. The ratio I ended up with was very roughly 85 white, 10 black, 5 Payne's gray. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pics of the latest stages. Mostly done with weathering. It was a good learning experience trying a few new things like using make up powders right after the base coat, then doing all the post-shading and weathering on top of it. I think I am nearing where I wanted to go with this. I could add a few streaks here and there, but generally my goal has been an average over the -C pics I am seeing here. http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VFA/Strike-Fighter-Squadron-113.htm

ikPsAHb.jpg

TvK1T9z.jpg

PZkMYFu.jpg

EFQS85s.jpg

KS5vuZ4.jpg

zxBcpzG.jpg

8mr7II6.jpg

4RUVWMp.jpg

YWRNeRL.jpg

MMazghZ.jpg

Edited by Janissary
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you Ichitoe, Rich! Work continues. Was told on FB that the tails were too splayed out. Confirmed it, then decided to fix it. Overall not perfect but I think blends ok with all the dirt and grime in the rest of the tails and the fuselage. I should have measured it when I was first gluing them.

7brSlop.jpg

bPe0iFP.jpg

0SrMZZe.jpg

bKfhiIE.jpg

o1BSaeX.jpg

Oo5FbMt.jpg

jWVKSOC.jpg

LkW28Ar.jpg

Edited by Janissary