1/48 Hasegawa F-18C VFA-113

On 3/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

WOW, fantastic save. I'm surprised you were able to get the tails off and not do more damage or, break anything. Can't even tell, very nice repair job.

Steve

Agreed...well done.

Cheers

AFM

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much all for your interest and following along! More work on this model since the last update:

- Got the wheels, landing gears and doors finished. Red edge painting took some time but overall was not bad.

- Attached the drop tanks

- Attached the pylons, arresting hook, and antennas. 

Outside of the heavy ordnance yet to come, this is close to being the final state of the bare aircraft. I was concerned about the landing gear but generally came out the way I'd intended, so can't complain. Things to do include a metallic tip for the nose cone, painting the flare buckets, a few touchups and weathering around the hook.

The two big mistakes (and eye sore):

- The vertical stabs still look too splayed out despite working off of Hasegawa's drawings (which look good to me from the top view).

- The nose landing gear starboard doors: I believe those two doors are mechanically coupled. Their bottom tips must be in contact. I glued them decoupled. Can't bring myself to breaking the rear door to fix it. 

Anyway, here are the pics. 

EgRt2nd.jpg

8vdoQTB.jpg

O89fYU9.jpg

BitrAfo.jpg

eIJJkAa.jpg

G7RMSbk.jpg

EIGG0Oh.jpg

H45X4m1.jpg

aXSVD8M.jpg

GvBrgaM.jpg

bUe36w8.jpg

VcOjdxX.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, ChernayaAkula said:

Gorgeous work! 😍 Love the weathering.

10 hours ago, Major Walt said:

That’s one of the best F-18 models I’ve ever seen.

Thank you all! I need to take better pics but I am excited about this one too. 

9 hours ago, BastianD said:

How did you do this, with weathering or pinwash oil?

If you are referring to the brownish weathering inside the intake trunks, they were mostly thinned Tamiya buff airbrushed from the front and the back, then once dry, light dabs and swipes of flake-free makeup sets using a q-tip. No oils in there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can really use your help with these two questions:

- There will be two GBU-12 Paveways and I am planning to depict the aircraft right at the end of a carrier landing. What is the 'correct' position of the GBU-12 seeker heads? Do they point straight forward or can they be pointing down (or loose & pointing up?) as can be seen in some parked aircraft? I suppose it is pivots on a gimbal but not sure. I would prefer a non-straight pose so I wanted to understand what dictates its angle when in flight vs. powered down etc.

Mk 82 practice bomb

- I am also in need of a GBU-31 JDAM. The 3D printed one I had does not have the level of detail I was hoping for. I really like what comes in the Academy F-14A Bombcat. I posted a request about it below, but I wanted :

The position of the seeker head depends on whether or not the jet is in flight. The head moves so, in flight, it would be pointed straight ahead because of the air stream passing over it. Parked, it can be positioned one of two ways. Like the photo above, pointed straight, because the seeker head still has it's protective devices ( seeker head cover, foam packing ) installed. If the foam were to be removed, the seeker head would droop downwards.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
5 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The position of the seeker head depends on whether or not the jet is in flight. The head moves so, in flight, it would be pointed straight ahead because of the air stream passing over it. Parked, it can be positioned one of two ways. Like the photo above, pointed straight, because the seeker head still has it's protective devices ( seeker head cover, foam packing ) installed. If the foam were to be removed, the seeker head would droop downwards.

Steve

Thank you Steve, that makes a lot of sense. One thing I forgot to mention is that all will be training ordnance. I am not sure if that makes a difference with the seeker head but I thought it wouldn't. I just glued them facing slightly downward thinking that when the aircraft comes to a stop (end of carrier landing) that could be a natural position of the heads. 

Your thread makes me want to build an Hasegawa F/A-18C like right now. I'm waaaay overdue for a one. And that paintjob of Yours is just awesome. I love the yellow primer showing through.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, Thadeus said:

Your thread makes me want to build an Hasegawa F/A-18C like right now. I'm waaaay overdue for a one. And that paintjob of Yours is just awesome. I love the yellow primer showing through.

Thank you Thadeus! I am slowly nearing the finish line.

A few more progress pics. Many of the pics are self explanatory, but I have been busy with the ordnance and the flight deck. Happy to say that the Hornet is now finished, but there is work for the flight deck. 

5oBlFqr.jpg

Czc8O4V.jpg

hXwJEAe.jpg

K9tUZY4.jpg

The vertical stabs still look too wide. So I snapped them off and fixed their angles for a *second* time:

QprmPVf.jpg

TbC2SvY.jpg

Now GBU-31 is also complete:

nBDHHvq.jpg

mXpsKnk.jpg

PRZiqHV.jpg

Edited by Janissary
On 10/25/2020 at 5:43 PM, Janissary said:

Fixing scriber mistakes with putty:

rytMhXz.jpg

That is GENIUS!  Also, saw your ATFLIR, and I believe the lenses would be in the stowed position while its in standby mode or off; the lens would be full aft shielded by dust and FOD.

Edited by utley
On 9/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, utley said:

That is GENIUS!  Also, saw your ATFLIR, and I believe the lenses would be in the stowed position while its in standby mode or off; the lens would be full aft shielded by dust and FOD.

Thank you. You're right about the ATFLIR. Hasegawa attachments points and surface details are designed for the lens to be facing outward, but that's an excuse on my part, I could have done it tucked in. Just my weak attempt at showing off the chromatic lens. 🙂